Fannie Mae

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Fannie Mae in February 2013.

Interview Details – It was at school. They expressed intent very much and waited a while then to tell me they were not interested.

Interview Question – they were all behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Financial Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in December 2012.

Interview Details – found the job posting from internal job database. minimum HR involved. had 2 rounds of panel interviews, during both interviews, management from different teams were arguing with one another, moreover, VP was yelling at one of his director right in front of my face. I was offered 3rd round interview with the VP, I turned down the interview due to obsearvations made in previous 2 interviews. Sensed tight conflicts within the org, and unpleasant management styles.

Interview Question – The hiring manager told me the job description and responsibilities, those are what I am interested and good at. Then all of a sudden, another manager in the interview asked me if I am willing to do the job if it is nothing like what the hiring manager had said.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Fannie Mae.

Interview Details – Great people. Weird recruiting.

Screening call from HR recruiter. One day interviews with 4 people. Followup interview with CIO. Followup interview with another IT executive. Followup interview with another IT executive.

Total conversations - 9. Duration - 4 months. Feedback - none. Outcome - org change, position eliminated.

Interview Question – "How would you handle X challenge that Fannie Mae faces?"
Had to relate to my experience, but difficult not knowing internal factors.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Another opportunity outpaced the decision process.

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Fannie Mae in April 2011.

Interview Details – I had the telephonic interview. It is just the formal, then called me for a F2F interview. They asked mostly abt the experience and SQL, Unix.

Interview Question – How do you stop the a particular process in unix   Answer Question

Legal Support II Interview

Legal Support II
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fannie Mae in December 2012.

Interview Details – Mean, mean recruiters. Especially the ones who work from home and does Fannie Mae's recruiting remotely. Fannie interviews a lot of outside candidates, but end up hiring from within. This is a very nasty practice they have going on.

Interview Question – I was asked to reveal all the names of all my supervisors from my previous position. I was very uncomfortable with this line of questioning. Needless to say, I lied because this was none of their business. They really crossed the line!!   Answer Question

Director Technology Interview

Director Technology
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2012.

Interview Details – Long drawn interview process. Meet with a panel of 5-6 interviewers first. A month or two later meet with 2 senior executives, and another 4-6 weeks later meet with another senior executive. Whole process took about 4 months.
Questions were mostly process based. Some focus on management style. Hardly any technical questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Analyst I Interview

Business Analyst I
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2012.

Interview Details – -Applied on the Fannie Mae Website
-Received an email with questions from HR (similar to a phone screening)
-Scheduled the interview

(everything was done by email in my case)

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself"
-The interviewer seemed a bit unprepared. They didn't have any questions to ask from the start.
  Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Financial Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fannie Mae.

Interview Details – just a phone interview and being rejected

Interview Question – what's the philosophy behind black scholes model   Answer Question

Operations and Technology Campus Associate Interview

Operations and Technology Campus Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process began with a 1:1 campus interview. The interviewer was a director in a different office than I would work in and was extremely bland. To her credit, I was the last interview of the day. About one week after the campus interview, I received an email inviting me to DC for a final round super day. The super day consisted of three 1:1 interviews with managers or above and a presentation to the entire group. I had the same vibe from the second round interviewers as I did for the initial interviewer that they did not want to be there and it made the interview very dry and boring. All questions were behavioral. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for a company like Fannie Mae, that may not exist in the next 2-4 years?   View Answers (2)

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in May 2012.

Interview Details – The entire process took almost 4 months. Multiple interviews, first a phone screen with the recruiter, next a round of interviews with a panel and then a last and final interview with the Senior Director. I have to say that the entire experience was painful and lengthy. Lack of communications from the recruitment team- I mean a month can go by before they call you to let you know that you have been selected for the next round.

Interview Question – Interviews are mostly behavioral and focus on 'fit'. I was asked about my background, industry experience and also the most difficult and challenging assignment that I had worked on in my career so far.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The entire recruiting experience left a very bad taste in my mouth. It was an 'eye-opener' for me as to how slow and sloggy things can be at this company. Stay away!