Fannie Mae Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.9

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in June 2013.

Interview

Very vague, the hiring manager of the department was very difficult to communicate with due to a language barrier. No questions was answered out right with specific clarity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with econometric modeling as it pertains to the area of housing finance   Answer Question

Transaction Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fannie Mae in May 2013.

Interview

two rounds of interviews. Long long ones. Met 9 people in total, Mostly behavioral questions. LIKE pressure working and walk me through your resume type of questions. People are nice, responsive, energetic. But it took sooooo long. Waited one month to get the notice for the second round and waited another one month to get to know the final decision.

LOAN OPERATIONS SPECIALIST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Herndon, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied on Line. Recruiter sent e mail with screening questions. Went for an interview three days later. Two fays later I got a verbal offer, Three weeks later , I am still waiting for the formal written offer. How long does it take?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not good

Senior Windows Desktop Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Reston, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing company about a position with Fannie Mae to help them plan their migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 in March 2013. After the conversations and negotiations with the staffing company we agreed I should go on an interview with the hiring manager. I arrived at the Reston location and went through the process to get a visitor badge. After waiting for about 15 minutes someone other than the hiring manager came down to collect me. He informed me that the hiring manager was working on a fire drill and that he would be speaking with me first. He escorted me to a small conference room and began to tell me about their Citrix deployment because he was not in the loop on why I was there or the position I was interviewing for. He'd simply been asked to keep me busy while his manager worked on whatever issue he was working on. We spoke for 20-25 minutes.

I was then escorted back to the main level and asked to wait in the cafeteria until the person I was there to see was available. 30 plus minutes went by and I've been in contact with the staffing company. They are unable to tell me what's going on. This was a HUGE red flag that this person was not someone who's not a good manager. Needless to say I was annoyed by the delay, but I'd already taken time off of work to go through this process. 45 minutes after sitting in the cafeteria (about an hour and a half after my appointment time), I was walking out the door when the person I was supposed to meet with finally made an appearance.

The long awaited hiring manager escorts me to his office. He then proceeds to tell me he’s been with the company for about 15 minutes and explain to me the goal of the project he’s recently been put in charge of. I explained my work history and provided him with some suggestions on how he could approach tackling the migration of the 12k WinXP machines. This was a brief conversation, 15-20 minutes. A lot of waiting for a very short interview that resulted in an offer.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions in this interview. Not sure if the waiting was part of the interview or just bad time management.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Panel interview with 6 people, mix of managers, directors and one VP. DO NOT BS in your interview. They have very good talent there and the managers are well experienced to catch your BS. Be honest about your experience and you capabilities and be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Management consulting style questions. "how many gas stations in DC?" "If you were a penny in blender...." etc.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Expect the hiring process to be negative; Even though Fannie Mae has had quite a ride over the past 5 years, HR hasn't gotten the memo. It will take a tremendously long time to set up the interviews. You can only trust in what you discuss directly with the hiring manager. When 12 weeks had gone by since they originally contacted me and only one round of interviews had taken place, I let them know that I had an offer from another company and needed to know what their timeline was for the next round. HR immediately fired off a communication to me saying they thanked me for my interest - essentially ending the process. It felt like a "I broke up with you first" type of approach. Very strange. The director/hiring manager for this position had recruited me directly along with another member of the team. The hiring manager was not informed by HR that I had contacted regarding timeline. They were surprised when I followed up with them directly.

Difficult for most people to wait 3-4 months to go through a hiring process - all while being told the employer is in a "tremendous hurry" to get the project started. Not sure why it is this way, but do not take this personally if you are experiencing it.

Loan Operations Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fannie Mae (Herndon, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

It was a 3 on 1 interview. They asked multiple questions about career goals. Also, they wanted to know how you can contribute to the company. It is very good to know about what Fannie Mae does with secondary mortgage market. Look up information about diversity since the company is very big on that.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a great fit for Fannie Mae?
      What do you know about Fannie Mae and secondary mortgage market?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Very repetitive. Behavioral questions mainly. The interview also failed to explain much about the job and it's responsibilities. I made sure to ask many questions but it appeared that the answers I received were very general. It's evident that interview training isn't something that exists. My advice to upper management and HR would be to provide additional training so employees are prepared to interview external AND internal candidates. It's important for the job applicant to understand as much as they can about the job considering the interview process is supposed to be an educational experience for both parties.

Interview Questions

• What's a challenge you faced and had to overcome? Describe an experience where you had to find your own solution to a problem.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Reston, VA).

Interview

Great people. Weird recruiting.

Screening call from HR recruiter. One day interviews with 4 people. Followup interview with CIO. Followup interview with another IT executive. Followup interview with another IT executive.

Total conversations - 9. Duration - 4 months. Feedback - none. Outcome - org change, position eliminated.

Interview Questions

• "How would you handle X challenge that Fannie Mae faces?"
      Had to relate to my experience, but difficult not knowing internal factors.

Answer Question

Another opportunity outpaced the decision process.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fannie Mae (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

It was at school. They expressed intent very much and waited a while then to tell me they were not interested.