Fannie Mae

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Reston, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in September 2013.

Interview Details – (Senior PM - Contract Position ) : The in-person interview with Program Manager/Director and Technical Architect was based on experience & skill set stated in the resume along with scenario based questions.It was a good casual 1.5 hours discussion that was more on the lines of get to know each other & Fannie culture better.

Interview Question – The scenario based/behavioral questions were pretty general ones - like how did you handle a difficult situation with project stakeholder? etc;   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Although Fannie's offer was good and I was comfortable with the team; I had an equally good competing offer from another firm.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in March 2013.

Interview Details – Expect the hiring process to be negative; Even though Fannie Mae has had quite a ride over the past 5 years, HR hasn't gotten the memo. It will take a tremendously long time to set up the interviews. You can only trust in what you discuss directly with the hiring manager. When 12 weeks had gone by since they originally contacted me and only one round of interviews had taken place, I let them know that I had an offer from another company and needed to know what their timeline was for the next round. HR immediately fired off a communication to me saying they thanked me for my interest - essentially ending the process. It felt like a "I broke up with you first" type of approach. Very strange. The director/hiring manager for this position had recruited me directly along with another member of the team. The hiring manager was not informed by HR that I had contacted regarding timeline. They were surprised when I followed up with them directly.

Difficult for most people to wait 3-4 months to go through a hiring process - all while being told the employer is in a "tremendous hurry" to get the project started. Not sure why it is this way, but do not take this personally if you are experiencing it.

Interview Question – How do you handle uncertainty?   Answer Question

Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2011.

Interview Details – Pre interview prepared for questions concerning Fannie Mae current and future outlook. Was told to be prepared on questions concerning the HAMP program.

Actual interview consisted of a group panel that consisted of the PMO manager and a pm, however they seemed to be more focused around finding a perfect personality fit, along with overall PMO experience and the ability to deal potential difficult stakeholders and conflicting personalities. They were not clear on specific responsibilites, expectations nor projects

Interview Question – describe HAMP   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fannie Mae in August 2011.

Interview Details – Employee referral was the reason for the interview, do not believe I would have made it through the "black hole" of online job submissions without personal intervention from a current employee. It was a perfect fit position, the hard part was getting in the door.

Interview Question – Take a sample report dashboard, and pretend to present it to sr management.   View Answer

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!