Fannie Mae

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Customer Support Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in March 2012.

Interview Details – There is only one phone interview and one in person interview with a panel of 2 possibly 3. Fairly easy general based questions about your resume. Mainly looking for mortgage/customer service background. Looking for excellent verbal and written communication skills. Possible writing/typing test.

Interview Question – Situational questions, very easy interview just study your resume. Be prepared to answer this question..... "Sell me yourself, why should you have this position"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only negotiate about 1k more than 51K or they'll offer it the next candidate.

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in March 2013.

Interview Details – Panel interview with 6 people, mix of managers, directors and one VP. DO NOT BS in your interview. They have very good talent there and the managers are well experienced to catch your BS. Be honest about your experience and you capabilities and be prepared.

Interview Question – Management consulting style questions. "how many gas stations in DC?" "If you were a penny in blender...." etc.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in March 2013.

Interview Details – Expect the hiring process to be negative; Even though Fannie Mae has had quite a ride over the past 5 years, HR hasn't gotten the memo. It will take a tremendously long time to set up the interviews. You can only trust in what you discuss directly with the hiring manager. When 12 weeks had gone by since they originally contacted me and only one round of interviews had taken place, I let them know that I had an offer from another company and needed to know what their timeline was for the next round. HR immediately fired off a communication to me saying they thanked me for my interest - essentially ending the process. It felt like a "I broke up with you first" type of approach. Very strange. The director/hiring manager for this position had recruited me directly along with another member of the team. The hiring manager was not informed by HR that I had contacted regarding timeline. They were surprised when I followed up with them directly.

Difficult for most people to wait 3-4 months to go through a hiring process - all while being told the employer is in a "tremendous hurry" to get the project started. Not sure why it is this way, but do not take this personally if you are experiencing it.

Interview Question – How do you handle uncertainty?   Answer Question

Compliance & Ethics IV Interview

Compliance & Ethics IV
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in February 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen interview with HR Rep. Next phone interview with hiring manager. Next panel interview with team management. Final interview with VP or above.

HR Rep was very helpful through all of process until after acceptance of position. Then completely MIA. Third-party background check took six weeks (on a clean record); start date was delayed twice for a total of two weeks. This was a couple years ago, so maybe its improved. I know there has been a lot of turnover in HR and Recruiting.

Interview Question – Basic situational questions. Describe a project you managed to completion and how you managed the project. Name a time when you made a professional judgement and were right (or wrong). Describe a time when you had difficulty working with someone or had a conflict and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said salary was not negotiable, but they will typically negotiate 10-20%. They say it to get people to accept the offer. Push back, ask for more time, or tell them of a reasonably higher offer, etc.

Call Center Representative Interview

Call Center Representative
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Fannie Mae in April 2010.

Interview Details – You one interview with Manager and two supervisors.

Interview Question – Questions were difficult more job related.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was hired through a contracting company.

Very Easy Interview

Operations and Technology Associate Interview

Operations and Technology Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through College Recruiter, did an on-campus, behavioral interview (30 minutes) and then a final interview at the Washington, D.C. Headquarters. Final interviews were three 45 minutes behavioral interviews where they just ask you about your resume, skills, knowledge, etc., but no technical questions. They said they follow up the interview within 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work at Fannie Mae, especially when the President is talking about phasing Fannie and Freddie out?   View Answer

Technology Associate Interview

Technology Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in October 2013.

Interview Details – This was one of the worst experiences I have had interviewing. The day started by having all of the candidates crammed in a small waiting room, with no instructions on what was happening. After we got through security we were led to a room for briefing on the day. The recruiter had lost paperwork and schedules for a few of us candidates. The day consisted of running around to different rooms throughout the building for 45 min behavioral interviews. The interviewers asked similar questions over and over, no technical questions. At one point during my last interview the manager stops midway through discussion and answered his phone in the middle of the interview, I had to sit there just listening to his personal call, very unprofessional. Overall the company came off as extremely unorganized.

Interview Question – Are you good at math? (what a question!)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Finance Associate Intern Interview

Finance Associate Intern
Washington, DC

Interview Details – Applied on my school's careers website and received an invitation to interview on campus. It was a 30 minutes interview, and we just talked about my resume and chatted a little bit. They also had current full time employees who were recent graduates in the lobby chatting with us. I did not hear back for a few weeks but eventually received a call offering me the position.

Interview Question – None, just talked about my resume and chatted   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Finance Associate Interview

Finance Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fannie Mae in August 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral Based. Focus on type of people, not what people know. Very standard behavior questions regarding experience, personality, leadership involvement, & resume. Make sure you come with questions and you understand Fannies Mkt role. Have an idea about what sort of legislation and poicy is being discussed and the future implications.

Interview Question – None were technical. Other full time positions can be very technical depending on the nature of the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non Negotiable. Set for associates, other positions can be negotiated based on experience.

Economist Interview

Economist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fannie Mae in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very vague, the hiring manager of the department was very difficult to communicate with due to a language barrier. No questions was answered out right with specific clarity.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience with econometric modeling as it pertains to the area of housing finance   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fannie Mae

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Fannie Mae Videos

Fannie Mae – Why Work for Us?

We are looking for employees who are intent on helping us achieve something remarkable. Since 2009, we have made tremendous progress in turning our company around, responding to an unprecedented housing crisis… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fannie Mae interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fannie Mae employees and interview candidates.