Farmers Insurance Group

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group

Interview Details – Assesment Test, Phone Interview, Face to Face Interview.

Interview Question – The whole interview consists of behavioral questions. Be prepared to give examples of a problem you have experienced, the actions you took, and the results.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Olathe, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in November 2009.

Interview Details – Initial HR screening followed by two hour+ interviews with a multi-person panel. Took several proactive follow-up phone calls before job was offered. Very in depth and through questions to weed out those just trying to get any job. It appears the Catastrophe Department prefers "street" hires - those without any prior insurance experience.

Interview Question – Just come prepared with a specific example of a prior experience of a time you've been in a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I worked for them in the past, I was offered a higher salary; however, it was not negotiable.

Claims Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group.

Interview Details – My first initial interview was over the phone with basic behavioral questions. A week later received a call to come in for second interview which is a 2 hour process. Sat with two managers and went through more detailed behavioral questions and basic questions. Took a tour of the facility and was able to listen in a few phone calls.

Interview Question – How would you handle an irate customer?   View Answer

Novi, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in July 2012.

Interview Details – After I submitted my application, I was contacted very shortly thereafter to take the required tests, which essentially look at your aptitude for the position and your math and English skills. After that, the interview was scheduled. Farmers utilizes a behavioral-based interview format, which attempts to predict your performance based on how you reacted to distinct situations in the past. I was interviewed by a panel of three senior members of the claims team. I was definitely qualified for the position, which was entry-level, by extensive retail and customer service experience. Unfortunately, I think I was too honest in my answers, and honesty wasn't what they were looking for. My job at the time was with a horrible family-owned business, so I thought a lot of the scenarios that I had encountered there gave me pretty solid examples of how I could think quickly on my feet, or adapt to difficult situations, etc. I definitely filtered the experiences in my responses, but apparently not enough. I asked at the end of the interview if the team had any misgivings that I could address, and the ringleader said that he did, because he thought that I had described too much "drama" in my work history and answers. It was pretty clear that there was absolutely nothing I could do to change his mind, so I left pretty quickly after that. It would have been nice if they had told me right then and there that they weren't going to hire me. I had no illusions otherwise, but it still took them a week to send me their silly courtesy e-mail. In hindsight, I am glad that I didn't get the position, because that guy would have been my immediate supervisor, and I don't think that would have been a pleasant work environment. I am still a bit flabbergasted by the experience, though, and to this day I am not really sure what they wanted to hear during the interview.

Interview Question – Describe a stressful situation at work and how you handled it.   View Answer

Olathe, KS

The process took a day - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – Starting with a skills test of which I passed. One to One interview with a recruiter. The interview and skills test took 2 hours. General questions about how I work in various stressful situations.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – salary

Olathe, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was sent an email to schedule pre-employment testing. Once I passed all the test I had an interview with a recruiter. They TALK YOU UP! They said I was exactly what they were looking for and had all the skills necessary. I don't want to say they made me over-confident, but they really REALLY build you up. I then scheduled a final interview where I met with 3 managers/supervisors, and job shadowed. I pretty much knew I wasn't going to get the job because they only had me shadow for 15 minutes. All in all it was a good learning experience, but just be aware, even though the recruiter makes you think you are a perfect fit for the job, chances are the mangers/supervisors won't see you in the same light.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult co-worker?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in March 2011.

Interview Details – I started out with a phone interview, passed the skills tests, and then had a panel interview with six panelists. The interview was done with behavioral interviewing questions. I was given plenty of notice to research and practice for the behavioral interviewing questions. The interview was very professional and I was given ample time for explanation and to ask the list of questions I had made up for the interview. All six panelists were very polite and the mood in the conference room put me at ease during the interview. I felt that all the questions asked were fair and were relevent to the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   View Answer
  • Tell us about a time when you used facts and reason to persude someone to accept your recommendation.   View Answer

Brea, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in May 2010.

Interview Details – open house for claim representatives, a group meeting where the position was described and followed up with 20 min 1 on 1 interview. Same three questions were posed to each applicant.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to negotiate and convince someone to change their view to match yours.   Answer Question
  • Describe a situtation where you had to deal with an irate client and how did you respond.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in December 2008.

Interview Details – There were 5 supervisors and 1 manager on the interview panel. The interview is a behavioral based interview (BBI). If they ask you a question you have to be very specific and give an example for each answer. I found out later that all panel members have to agree to hire you. Even if 5 of the 6 want to hire you they will not unless all agree. They wanted to hire me but had another person that filled the position. I continued to call every month and after 6 months they offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever presented an idea to your employer that was implemented? What was the idea?   Answer Question
  • Name 3 qualities of a leader. Give an example of each quality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The starting salary in 2008 was $38,000. I had ten years experience and wanted $60,000. We agreed on $55,000.

Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was first over the phone, followed up by a skills assessment. The lady forgot that I was coming into take a skills assessment. The aura I got from being there for the short time was some want depressing. 3 part skill assessment

Interview Question – Name a time you dealt with an irate customer?   View Answer

Worked for Farmers Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!