Farmers Insurance Group Liability Claims Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Updated Jun 20, 2014
14 interviews

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in April 2014.

The hiring process was very smooth and streamlined. I applied online, received a call later (within a week or so) for an initial interview (just quick screening) and to set up some skills/personality testing. I took the tests that day and received a call the following day to set up a phone interview, which I had later that day. The phone interview took about an hour and was very thorough. Following the phone interview, I had an in-person interview (the next day) at the claims center. I met with 2 hiring individuals and went through a behavior based interview. I also had a tour of the facility and had the opportunity to shadow a current claims representative to get a feel for the job. I received a call before the day was over letting me know I was getting an offer and then received an official offer email/letter the next day.

Interview Questions
  • Explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you reacted and resolved the problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Farmers Insurance Group

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in May 2014.

the process started with a maths and english test followed by a phone interview and subsequently an in person interview with two managers. i got the impression that i was doing well but i did not make it to the next round in the pre- employment process

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation where you were unable to complete a task, what did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group.

I was referred by a friend. I had one phone interview with a recruiter and two in-person interviews followed-up with a ride along with a current claims rep. Overall the hiring process was pretty informal. The rep that I rode along with was in the process of leaving the company and there was a strong sense of apathy. It is a very mundane career path; not for those with a sales mind so beware. Most people there are financially and career stagnant so if you are a mover and a shaker you may find the job very unfulfilling after a while. Get used to loving to overcome objections because it is all the job is. I am not a drug-user but I was surprised there was no drug test given you are given a company vehicle.

Interview Questions
    • All generic situational questions to see how you resolve conflict i.e. You are negotiating a claim with a customer and not getting anywhere and they ask to just deal with your manager directly instead of you how would you handle that.   View Answer
    There was no real negotiation. I made a demand for $5000 over the initial offer but then was able to only get a $1500 increase.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Phone interview. On line testing which is very straight forward. In person interview at the office with three representatives.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you and your supervisor disagreed and explain the steps you took to work trough it.   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in January 2014.

Long selection process. Start with online application, then 3 assessments (logic, math, grammar), phone interview, two in-person panel interviews, desk ride, and background check. All three interviews are behavioral based, so be familiar with answering in the STAR format and have 10-12 examples memorized for each interview. Focus on your ability to solve problems and resolve conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that there was nothing you could do for a customer. How did they react?   Answer Question
    I told the recruiter up front what salary I wanted and they offered me exactly what I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in September 2012.

Straight forward. I applied online. About a week later, the HR recruiter called to say he would be emailing me a link to an aptitude test. Completed the test. It consisted of three parts: language, basic logic and practical math. Be warned, the sections are timed! After completing the test, the recruiter called within the hour and we did a phone interview. I was asked about my education and professional experience, along with 3 behavioral based interview questions. After the last question, the recruiter advised he would be recommending me to the hiring manager and to expect a call for a face-to-face interview. A supervisor called the following morning and scheduled the in-person interview with me. The in-person interview consisted of two supervisors and a manager. It started with the standard "Tell us a little bit about yourself and why you want to work for Farmers." From there, there were 6 behavioral based interview questions, each focused on a single core competency that the company believes to be essential for success in the position. This was followed by a battery of 6 questions designed to test technical claims expertise. These also had to be answered in a behavioral based format. Lastly, I spent 10 to 15 minutes asking questions of my own, mostly about the company's culture. The job offer and salary negotiation followed the next day.

In the insurance industry, all the big name companies use behavioral based interviewing. It can be a very frustrating or very easy interview experience. You *absolutely* MUST prepare for a behavioral based interview. If you do not come into the interview with at least TEN memorized examples that can be tweeked to fit the various questions you will be asked, you will not get past it. A typical example of a behavioral based interview question is: "Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what you did to fix it." Your response must be specific and contain three distinct elements: 1. SET THE STAGE ("Well, there was this one time an attorney sent me a very important email with a time demand in it and I overlooked it in my inbox..."); 2. WHAT DID YOU DO ABOUT IT ("When I realized what had happened, I called the attorney, apologized for blowing the time demand, and asked him for a five day extension so I could review the specials..."); 3. THE OUTCOME ("The attorney was really happy that I called him to discuss what had happened and he said he'd be faxing over the extension. It really solidified our working relationship and should help me amicably settle other BI's with him in the future..."). If you take this three step approach to every behavioral based question you're asked and provide specific details, regardless of company, you will have an excellent interview and will remain a strong candidate in the eyes of the interviewers. Hope this helps and good interviewing!

(PS, I noticed that if Farmers likes you, they move very fast. The whole process from aptitude test to offer was no more than 4 business days.)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were forced out of the usual claim process and what you did to continue to provide excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable, but I had already told the HR person what I was looking for. While they agreed to that number, they would not go up. I knew I was already at the high end of the range, so I was ok with it.

Liability Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in July 2010.

they called me after submitting resume to come and take a personality/skills test on the computers. That took about 2 hours. Then the next week they called and wanted to schedule an in-person interview. So, the following week I had an interview with 2 supervisors. They were nice and asked about 7-8 behavioral interview questions. Also, after the interview they have you sit at a claim reps desk for about 15-30 minutes so you can see what they do and if this is something that you really want to do. Then a few days later I got a call that I was hired.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in August 2011.

I applied directly through The Farmers website on July 6 and was contacted on July 27 (Wednesday) by an HR recruiter. The recruiter was very nice. He had me take a Skills/IQ type test and a personality test online. I took the test right away and called the recruiter to let him know I had completed the test. He said I did very well on the test and wanted to schedule a phone interview. He said I could schedule the phone interview for a later date or do it right at that moment. I opted to do the interview at that very moment. It lasted about 20-25 minutes and consisted of behavioral-based questions. The phone interviewer said I had a lot of good stories and said he thought I was what they were looking for. He said he was going to recommend me for an in-person, panel interview.

The following Monday, someone from the local SD office contacted me. She said she wanted to schedule my panel interview. She was pretty rude and seemed annoyed with having to deal with scheduling interviews. She said I could either come in an hour (very strange) or the next day. I opted for the next day as I couldn't be ready and at the office within an hour. I am currently employed in the corporate world, so of course I showed up dressed to impress in a tailored grey suit from Nordstrom. My interview was supposed to be with 3 people, but only 2 showed up. Fine with me. The interviewers were very unprepared, which was a little strange to me. The one woman was asking the male interviewer, "how to ask the questions" and they bantered back and forth for a bit deciding how they were going to do the interview. I found it strange that they would discuss this in front of me and not before I arrived. This was a bit tack and unprofessional. They were nice, and the interview lasted a little over an hour. They asked me about 14 or so behavioral questions and a few questions about my current job and my resume. Some of the behavioral questions were challenging but not really difficult.

Next, they had me shadow a claims rep. The rep was really nice and answered a lot of my questions and told me all the high/low points of the job. She was informative but she cussed a few times (F-word, S-word) and that struck me as odd and VERY unprofessional. The work environment seemed laid back and casual. The employees were not micro managed, which was nice. However, I was still very interested in the job.

I received a call the first thing the next morning and it was the same woman who had first contacted me from the SD office (the rude one). However, she was very pleasant this time. She said, "The interviewers were VERY impressed with you yesterday and 2 more of our managers would like to meet with you on Friday morning." I said, "Great!" and set up the interview. I was excited.

That's when things "got weird." I showed up Friday morning about 15 minutes before my interview. I waited about 30 minutes and a woman came out and said she was sorry for being late. I told her no problem and we went to an office to begin the interview. The other interviewer wasn't able to make it (just like my last interview). She sat down and immediately said she was supposed to ask me behavioral questions but "wasn't going to bother." That kind of stung because I felt like I was getting shorted. I wanted to be asked the tough questions because I wanted to impress the interviewer. She then proceeded to ask me about 3 standard (easy) questions about my resume. I was feeling good about the interview. Then, all of a sudden, she says, "I apologize. I know I'm supposed to ask you something else but I forget. To tell you the truth I'm not really prepared for this interview today. It's been about a month since I've conducted an interview so I'm pretty out of the loop. I know that may not seem like a long time, but it is." VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I understand she may be unprepared, but to vocalize that to a candidate in an interview is absurd. I smiled and pretended I wasn't angry. I knew, at that very moment, that I had no chance of being hired. Still, I attempted to salvage the interview by asking her a few open ended questions. She answered and it was very obvious she would rather be anywhere else but there. She told me they had interviews the next week and she would let me know by the following Friday either way.

The following Friday came and I didn't hear anything. Figures. On Tuesday, I got the standard form rejection letter. I was disappointed because I feel like I wasn't given a chance to shine in that final interview. I am more than qualified for the position and interview extremely well. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I am ranking this experience as "negative" because of the extreme lack of professionalism during the whole process. I don't now how a company expects to recruit quality candidates when their recruitment process is unprofessional and their interviewers are incompetent.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a policy that you had a role in implementing at your last job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in August 2011.

I first got an email to set up a phone interview and take an assessment online about a week after I applied. After completing the intial phone interview (they do more than just go over your resume) they contacted me about 4-5 days later to do a panel phone interview. It lasted a little over a half hour and they asked a lot of behavioral based questions. About 4-5 days after the panel phone interview, I was called to schedule an in person panel interview. The in person interview was like an interrogation room. However, the three interviewers were very polite and made it a relaxed atmosphere. They were great. They then took turns asking questiions. It lasted about 45 minutes and after completing the questions they went over the training process and how the job worked. I am still waiting to hear back. They said it would take 10-14 days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in your career that you felt like a failure.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time that you regretted the way you had acted or handled a situation.   Answer Question

Liability Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Farmers Insurance Group in February 2011.

I applied online and recieved an email in response about 2 days later. Through email we scheduled a phone interview for the next day . The phone interview was pretty basic. They told me more about the job and asked more about my experience and salary expectations. Next there was an interview with a panel of three managers from three different offices in the chicago area.

Interview Questions

Worked for Farmers Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!