Fashion Institute of Technology Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fashion Institute of Technology

Underappreciated Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology.

Interview

The interview process for getting in here initially was smooth. But that was only because the position was vacant for like a year or more so they were ready to just throw someone in there. But it worked out to my benefit l, so I guess no complaints there. But fast forward to the future and me trying to advance my career. Unless you know the person hiring and they already told they would hire you, don't waste your time applying. These people only hire based on friendships and such. They actually go through the process of hiring just for show. So others could 'feel' like they actually had a shot at the position, when in all actuality, they never stood a chance.

Interview Questions

• What can you offer FIT?
      Greatest strengths/weaknesses?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Why do you want this position?
      What's your typical work day like?

Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology.

Interview

There are two steps to the interview process- the individual interview and the group interview. The individual interview is pretty straightforward. You interview with several different people, including building managers, resident councilors, and current RAs. Make sure to show that you care about campus/community involvement. Mention past volunteer work, school clubs, etc.
    During the group interview, you will be monitored while you complete a bunch of group tasks. Just try to show that you're a team player- make eye contact, show good listening skills, be willing to take a leadership position or follow someone else's lead.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had to enforce a residential life policy you didn't agree with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Scheduling the interview spanned a few days but it was finally conducted over Skype and lasted about 45 minutes. The questions were scenario and problem solving oriented, a few additional questions were directed at the perception of myself by my previous co-workers, and individuals in other relevant circles.
    They sent me a document after the interview asking me to write a memo for an upcoming meeting, the instructions sated that I send it send it back when it was completed. I gathered a week later 2nd that I did not send the document back within the specified time. The problem was the time was not specified. I had sent it back after 1.30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle multiple problems, printer broken, supervisor needs a document printed now, Dean calling to speak with supervisor, and student needs information to register.   Answer Question
    • How would others describe you?   Answer Question

Administrative Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

One (very long) interview that incorporated a battery of tests in HR on things like customer service, Word and Excel - completely useless and not particularly related to the actual job. The in-person interview was about 20 minutes with all the expected questions. The interviewers were very open and descriptive (and ultimately accurate) of the different aspects of the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that you wouldn't expect - questions about previous job experience, challenging situations, and some hypothetical situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not negotiable as it was a union position with a set salary schedule (which was fairly generous, IMO.)

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Fashion Institute of Technology in June 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by HR to set up a phone interview. HR rep was quite friendly and I ended up working with her through the whole hiring process. Phone interview was with a panel of people that made up the hiring committee for my position. It lasted about an hour. After that I was asked to participate in a one-on-one with a school administrator. It went quite well, but then I heard nothing for several weeks. Turns out there was some reorganization going on behind the scenes. In the end I was asked to meet with a second administrator. I also had a second interview with the hiring committee, this time face to face. This seemed like more of a formality since they didn't have a lot of questions and some were telling me about the perks of working at FIT.

I was also required to do a background check before I got an offer (NOT after). It was fairly extensive. The 3rd party company called all of my references, verified EVERY job I provided, verified my degrees, and conducted criminal checks in every state I have lived within the past 10 years. Within a week of my last interview and satisfactory completion of the background check I was contacted by HR with an offer. The entire process took 4 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the lowest salary in my pay grade. It was slightly less than I had made previously, so I took a chance and asked for two steps higher. It was accepted. You can find the pay grades and steps on the FIT website.