Fastenal

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Butler, PA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in June 2012.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. 1st Face to face with a store GM. Standard questions like: "Why do you want to work here?" or "What is your greatest strength in sales?". 2nd interview is a phone interview with a district manager. Same type of questions. This interview will include salary discussion. 3rd interview will be face to face with the district manager and the regional manager. This will include the same generalized questions, but they are really trying to find out if you are going to stick with this company or not.

Interview Question – Explain your biggest weakness and how it will have a negative effect on your ability to do your job correctly.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not much negotiation involved. They have their set salaries and their set commissions. But they will negotiate a base salary if you are in a bigger city.

General Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – I met with the district manager at a coffee shop on a Saturday afternoon. A lot was focused on my accomplishments as an outside sales rep. I brought a file of all sales related data from my time as an OSP. The numbers spoke for themselves, he also wanted to make sure I was able to manage a group of employees and that I had a plan to grow the stores sales.

Interview Question – What would I do in certain situations involving a customer or employee?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fastenal in June 2010.

Interview Details – the hiring process takes a long time but is well worth the wait, the interview also takes a while. there is a three steps in the process, you meet with local store manager and then you move up the ranks to the district manager. If they approve you interview with another District Manager before an offer for the job is made

Interview Question – you have to take a online test before you can interview with the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty cut and dry there are set pay for set jobs

Interviewed at Fastenal

Interview Details – Not very lengthy. 2 interviews and a meeting to walk through daily operations.

Interview Question – What would be your business plan?   Answer Question

General Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – I was hired to this position from the Sales position.

Interview Question – Be ready for math formula questions to calculate margin.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can maybe ask for 200 more per month.

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in December 2009.

Interview Details – Online through a selection process including a test, Pass the test and you get a chance to get called. Once called in you will most likely have an interview with two different managers at two different times and locations. Then selected by who was the best employee.

Interview Question – If you could sell anything, what would that item or product be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't much negotiation. Was told that was the most I could make. Would make more in commission. Came to about 3% of the store sales.

Very Easy Interview

Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fastenal in February 2009.

Interview Details – First interview with the district manager, second with the regional Vice President if they like you the job is yours basically just need warm bodies because the turnover is so drastic.

Interview Question – Very elementary interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they promise more than you receive then rescind on the offer after being called out on it

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – 1 interview with DM and regional vp to get the outside sales position. Asked about my experience with sales and customer service. What I knew about Fastenal....promoted to GM a year later.

Interview Question – What are your fears when it comes to running your own store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with managers and district managers. They are taught to look for type A personalities, want people who actively want to move up the ladder. Tons of trainings available. Always bring that up in interviews because the company is rightly proud of all the effort they've put into them.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, tried but they wouldn't budge. Wouldn't recommend trying to play hardball, as most district managers will actually rescind the job offer.

Very Difficult Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Fastenal in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was given a 'basic skills' test which turned out to offer more logic games and questions than did my LSAT. The test was seriously one of the most difficult things I have attempted and I'm not sure if it is a washout test or what - you test well, no interview, you quit - job offer. I finished and received no call - even with former management experience WITH THIS COMPANY.

Interview Question – Logic games - seeking answers based on scenarios and doing so in a timed capacity.   Answer Question

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!