Fastenal General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

2.7

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I Applied online. My manager pushed my name, because of my performance as a
Outside salesman. There isn't really anything to it. This is a " Good 'ol Boy club" company if your DM likes you and you produce results you will be fine if your DM doesn't like you count yourself out

Interview Questions

• It didn't happen. The online test part can be passed by being cocky and consistent. Use good logic on the logic problems   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was non to be had it was made clear. Unless their situation is dire you will not get any consessions

Other Interview Reviews for Fastenal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muskogee, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal (Muskogee, OK) in July 2014.

Interview

Online application and aptitute test which takes a couple hours. Was called for an interview shortly thereafter. Interviewed with district manager and another general manager present. Being an existing employee, this process was a little shorter than my first interview with the company for a sales rep position.

Interview Questions

• How are you best motivated and how would you motivate others?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I met with the district manager at a coffee shop on a Saturday afternoon. A lot was focused on my accomplishments as an outside sales rep. I brought a file of all sales related data from my time as an OSP. The numbers spoke for themselves, he also wanted to make sure I was able to manage a group of employees and that I had a plan to grow the stores sales.

Interview Questions

• What would I do in certain situations involving a customer or employee?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Interview

Not very lengthy. 2 interviews and a meeting to walk through daily operations.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I was hired to this position from the Sales position.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for math formula questions to calculate margin.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can maybe ask for 200 more per month.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in December 2013.

Interview

Online application. Personality test. Phone screening. One on one interview with District Manager. One on one interview with Vice President. Job offer.
    Use promote from within system so to get in the company you will most likely have to start from the store level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodside, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Woodside, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Brief phone interview with the District Manager. Followed by a face to face interview with the Regional Vice President. Focused on benefits of the company's values. The District Manager focused more on the operational end of the position, while the Regional Vice President really focused on me as an employee and as a person, and if my values and goals, coincided with that of the company.

Interview Questions

• Short Term and Long Term Goals   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

1 interview with DM and regional vp to get the outside sales position. Asked about my experience with sales and customer service. What I knew about Fastenal....promoted to GM a year later.

Interview Questions

• What are your fears when it comes to running your own store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Multiple interviews with managers and district managers. They are taught to look for type A personalities, want people who actively want to move up the ladder. Tons of trainings available. Always bring that up in interviews because the company is rightly proud of all the effort they've put into them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, tried but they wouldn't budge. Wouldn't recommend trying to play hardball, as most district managers will actually rescind the job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Butler, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

3 interviews. 1st Face to face with a store GM. Standard questions like: "Why do you want to work here?" or "What is your greatest strength in sales?". 2nd interview is a phone interview with a district manager. Same type of questions. This interview will include salary discussion. 3rd interview will be face to face with the district manager and the regional manager. This will include the same generalized questions, but they are really trying to find out if you are going to stick with this company or not.

Interview Questions

• Explain your biggest weakness and how it will have a negative effect on your ability to do your job correctly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation involved. They have their set salaries and their set commissions. But they will negotiate a base salary if you are in a bigger city.