Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
Updated Mar 28, 2015

2.2

Inside Sales Interview

Over the phone with District Manager and Store Manager. Brief over view of your experience and some situational questions. Very typical interview process with no difficult questions asked by either interviewer.

General Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal.

I Applied online. My manager pushed my name, because of my performance as a
    Outside salesman. There isn't really anything to it. This is a " Good 'ol Boy club" company if your DM likes you and you produce results you will be fine if your DM doesn't like you count yourself out

Interview Questions
    • It didn't happen. The online test part can be passed by being cocky and consistent. Use good logic on the logic problems   View Answers (2)
    There was non to be had it was made clear. Unless their situation is dire you will not get any consessions

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fastenal.

It was quick and to the point, If you were confident and have somewhat of a thought process. You have a job. Just know that with time and good work you have the chance to move up within the company.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Fastenal.

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell this pen to a customer.   View Answer
    Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in December 2014.

I applied online and was called a week later to have a face-to-face interview. When I showed up, I found out that I was having a group interview including myself and two Fastenal employees. It was a straight-forward process.
    First, I was asked to delve into my experiences and work history.
    Once I was done with that, unexpectedly, I was asked why I had decided to move across the country without a job rather than to just transfer through my previous employer? I was deeply offended by that and although it was NOT my obligation to answer this, I had many good reasons and chose to do so (if it were to at least better my chances for hire). It wasn't completely the questions itself, but the way the question was inferred to me. After I told him my personal reasons of doing so, the interview completely changed pace and feel. I knew from then on that they were completely uninterested in talking with me and I knew they were thinking that I was wasting their time - that's definitely how I felt.
    Next, I was asked "how I would rank myself against previous peers." I said confidently and honestly, "near the top." Right away, he looked at his partner and gave him the look of 'Yeah right, this guy is full of it.' It made me mad and I gave him a long explanation of my work experiences to back up my claim.
    Next, I was asked "why do you think you can be a salesperson." Given I had the experience, skillset, and education, again, it was asked in a snide way as if I had no place in belonging there.
    Lastly, they asked me to regurgitate the history of Fastenal. I didn't have the answer and admitted to not knowing because I primarily focused on what items Fastenal offered, how the company works (what it does), and who their customers are. I also said I didn't have the time to go very in-depth in my research because I had been largely inundated with my move across the country and I had a lot of personal things I've been taking care of including a destroyed fixer-upper house I had move into. After that, the interview was over and rudely, the guy had the nerve to say "now you can go home and work on your house." What a complete tool.
    I knew it was a low paying job but I thought I could go in there and have a casual interview process. Interviews don't scare me!
    Although I knew near the beginning of the interview that the guy was acting like he didn't even want to interview and was complaining to the prior interviewee that "Ugh, I've got several more of these to do," he could at least take my time and his job seriously. It's not the first time I had it happen and it was my fault I wasn't 100% prepared to nail this interview, but I expect to not go into and interview and not be treated like _ _ _ _ and be disrepected.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

- Make you take a personality test
    - Schedule an interview with the store GM
    - Then an interview with the stores DM
    - Will contact you within the next 2-3 weeks on status

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Very easy going interview process. A conversational interview is what I had. Mostly talking about what I feel sales and services was and how the two were related. Basic questions as to where you worked previously and what you did there.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal in October 2014.

The interview was conducted by a senior inside sale member and the second interview were conducted by a hiring manager. The whole process was about 1 week. I applied for the position online and was invited to come in for an interview. They asked several questions about school, works experiences, and behavioral questions. They showed me around the office and the warehouse. I got a rejection email a few days after the interview, overall it was a good experience for me.

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Fastenal.

Pretty straight forward, seemed like the main point of the interview was to gauge whether I was decently intelligent, had enough social skills to interact with customers, and was genuinely interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hope to get out of working with us?
      Are you comfortable interesting with customers on a regular basis?

Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fastenal.

The first step was taking a basic math and English test. Then a phone call from the district manager to set up an appointment . After the first interview , there was a second , which was more laid back. About a week later , i received a call to come , and I was offered the job.

No negotiation.