Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.2

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fastenal in March 2012.

Interview

I was given a 'basic skills' test which turned out to offer more logic games and questions than did my LSAT. The test was seriously one of the most difficult things I have attempted and I'm not sure if it is a washout test or what - you test well, no interview, you quit - job offer. I finished and received no call - even with former management experience WITH THIS COMPANY.

Interview Questions

• Logic games - seeking answers based on scenarios and doing so in a timed capacity.   Answer Question

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Fastenal (Winona, MN) in January 2012.

Interview

very odd… Seemed to be focused on math skills, not my ability to do the work. While the job was fairly routine, the demands and skills required seemed unrelated to the work I was seeking.

Interview Questions

It was obvious that they didn't want to use my skills.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Longview, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Placed application and resume online. After that, I was contacted by the branch manager for the store in which I was applying. Interview went very well (the best interview I ever had) and was told that he would pass it along to the district manager. Received a call approximately two weeks later to schedule another interview with the district manager. Interview went a little less well than the first but still very well in my opinion and was told yet again that a third interview was required with another district manager in another location. This interview was not at all like the first two. This guy really delved into my resume' and asked many many questions about every little intricacy of the entire document, which, in my opinon should have been the topic from the first interview but it catches your expectations off guard when you become complacent with the the first two interviews. He asked me why I hadnt finished school and I told him the answer and he laughed in a good way like a good ole' boy does. He told me that given my resume and most of my jobs I have had in the past how he couldnt see how I would fit into the trainee position. I must say I was really thrown by this guy who incidently told me he had never worked for any other company but Fastenal. This left me wondering why a job that only pays $2,000 per month before taxes would need such a strenuous process for a position which pays so little. And that led me to ask myself (I wanted to ask him this) why would someone with a Bachelor's in anything even be applying for a trainee position? Isnt this at the heart of why someone labors to complete their degree? To not have to settle for such menial positions? Is it an intelligent decision to let someone in a hiring position who cant have any real empathy for applicants since they havent worked in the job market? Anyway, I am still waiting for a call but the outlook from the third interview is bleek in my opinion since it didnt go very well in comparison to the other two.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Westlake, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

Had an interview with general manager and district manager. Had to get drug tested. Had a math like/ account management type of mini 20 min quiz when submitting application online.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Atlanta, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position, heard back from the Store Manager of the branch I applied for about 5 business days later. Had an interview with the Store Manager and District Manager the next day. Interview was a little tough but I am relatively new to sales and the business. Most of the questions seemed standard but others were person and really got me thinking. I haven't been challenged like that in quite some time by an employer but I am glad I was because my answers are what got me the position. Entire process took about two weeks, includes the first week of waiting for a response to get an interview and waiting on drug testing results to come back. All in all I would say Fastenal has their ducks in a row and they are true to their word.

Interview Questions

• What are some long term goals with the company? (Longer than 15 years)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered a fair salary and the the District Mgr added an extra $100.00 a month for the drive I had to make. Its only a 30 min drive but definitely not going to turn down money!

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Milwaukee, WI) in August 2010.

Interview

Applying online features an IQ test, skills/aptitude test, and personality test to see if you match corporate values. I was called two days after the application, and went for the interview that week. It went well, and met with the district manager the week after. He said I would be better suited to a different/better job, and passed men to another manager. After a phone interview with him, he passed me to yet ANOTHER district manager, who told me to apply at two stores. I phone interviewed with both store managers, then had a one on one with a store manager, then a two on one with the DM and store manager again. Two days later I got a job offer. So, in total, seven phone interviews and four face to face, over a month. For a part time job. Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself in the Fastenal culture?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Because I had experience in both sales and manufacturing (two different jobs), I received a better starting wage. If you have no experience in either field, look elsewhere...you'll make peanuts.

Branch Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in October 2009.

Interview

Called me in and could immediately tell by the looks of the other employees I was not what they expected. I am black and in other locations I have ever been in all sales people were white. Manager even told me I was nothing like he expected from the sound of my voice. Interview went great and was told to expect to hear from manager the next day with more info. Never called and when I called, manager acted like he did not know who I was, took my name and number and said he would have to get back with me. I never called back again.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fastenal in January 2008.

Interview

Internal promotion ~ only posted to my dept. My advice is to know what you're worth when you go into salary negotiations.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall, it's been a year. Most questions were regarding personal traits - work ethic, dependability, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, negotiated. If you push you may get more.

GM Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Online testing - interview with general manager, then district manager. hire in as part time inside sales support, promotion to outside sale includes more online testing, usually transferred to a different location, and a similar process to be promoted to general manager which includes an interview with regional vice president.

Interview Questions

• For most new employees you will be asked to present a mock sales presentation on your initial interview with the district manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fastenal tells you what they will pay and what is expected of you. No negotiations.

SalesTrainee Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Multiple in depth interviews for this position very thorough

Interview Questions

• Online test is the in depth but mostly common sense with deductive reasoning   1 Answer