Fastenal

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.2

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fastenal in March 2012.

I was given a 'basic skills' test which turned out to offer more logic games and questions than did my LSAT. The test was seriously one of the most difficult things I have attempted and I'm not sure if it is a washout test or what - you test well, no interview, you quit - job offer. I finished and received no call - even with former management experience WITH THIS COMPANY.

Interview Questions
    • Logic games - seeking answers based on scenarios and doing so in a timed capacity.   Answer Question

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in September 2014.

Placed application and resume online. After that, I was contacted by the branch manager for the store in which I was applying. Interview went very well (the best interview I ever had) and was told that he would pass it along to the district manager. Received a call approximately two weeks later to schedule another interview with the district manager. Interview went a little less well than the first but still very well in my opinion and was told yet again that a third interview was required with another district manager in another location. This interview was not at all like the first two. This guy really delved into my resume' and asked many many questions about every little intricacy of the entire document, which, in my opinon should have been the topic from the first interview but it catches your expectations off guard when you become complacent with the the first two interviews. He asked me why I hadnt finished school and I told him the answer and he laughed in a good way like a good ole' boy does. He told me that given my resume and most of my jobs I have had in the past how he couldnt see how I would fit into the trainee position. I must say I was really thrown by this guy who incidently told me he had never worked for any other company but Fastenal. This left me wondering why a job that only pays $2,000 per month before taxes would need such a strenuous process for a position which pays so little. And that led me to ask myself (I wanted to ask him this) why would someone with a Bachelor's in anything even be applying for a trainee position? Isnt this at the heart of why someone labors to complete their degree? To not have to settle for such menial positions? Is it an intelligent decision to let someone in a hiring position who cant have any real empathy for applicants since they havent worked in the job market? Anyway, I am still waiting for a call but the outlook from the third interview is bleek in my opinion since it didnt go very well in comparison to the other two.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in August 2014.

Applied for the position, heard back from the Store Manager of the branch I applied for about 5 business days later. Had an interview with the Store Manager and District Manager the next day. Interview was a little tough but I am relatively new to sales and the business. Most of the questions seemed standard but others were person and really got me thinking. I haven't been challenged like that in quite some time by an employer but I am glad I was because my answers are what got me the position. Entire process took about two weeks, includes the first week of waiting for a response to get an interview and waiting on drug testing results to come back. All in all I would say Fastenal has their ducks in a row and they are true to their word.

Interview Questions
    • What are some long term goals with the company? (Longer than 15 years)   Answer Question
    Offered a fair salary and the the District Mgr added an extra $100.00 a month for the drive I had to make. Its only a 30 min drive but definitely not going to turn down money!

SalesTrainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Multiple in depth interviews for this position very thorough

Interview Questions
    • Online test is the in depth but mostly common sense with deductive reasoning   View Answer

GM Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Online testing - interview with general manager, then district manager. hire in as part time inside sales support, promotion to outside sale includes more online testing, usually transferred to a different location, and a similar process to be promoted to general manager which includes an interview with regional vice president.

Interview Questions
    • For most new employees you will be asked to present a mock sales presentation on your initial interview with the district manager.   Answer Question
    Fastenal tells you what they will pay and what is expected of you. No negotiations.

Sales Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fastenal in January 2008.

Internal promotion ~ only posted to my dept. My advice is to know what you're worth when you go into salary negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall, it's been a year. Most questions were regarding personal traits - work ethic, dependability, etc.   Answer Question
    Yes, negotiated. If you push you may get more.

Branch Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in October 2009.

Called me in and could immediately tell by the looks of the other employees I was not what they expected. I am black and in other locations I have ever been in all sales people were white. Manager even told me I was nothing like he expected from the sound of my voice. Interview went great and was told to expect to hear from manager the next day with more info. Never called and when I called, manager acted like he did not know who I was, took my name and number and said he would have to get back with me. I never called back again.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in August 2010.

Applying online features an IQ test, skills/aptitude test, and personality test to see if you match corporate values.
    I was called two days after the application, and went for the interview that week. It went well, and met with the district manager the week after. He said I would be better suited to a different/better job, and passed men to another manager. After a phone interview with him, he passed me to yet ANOTHER district manager, who told me to apply at two stores. I phone interviewed with both store managers, then had a one on one with a store manager, then a two on one with the DM and store manager again. Two days later I got a job offer.

So, in total, seven phone interviews and four face to face, over a month. For a part time job. Absurd.

Interview Questions
    • How do you see yourself in the Fastenal culture?   View Answer
    Because I had experience in both sales and manufacturing (two different jobs), I received a better starting wage. If you have no experience in either field, look elsewhere...you'll make peanuts.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in October 2011.

Met the DM at a career fair, applied online, got the interview with store manager 1 week later. Then a 2nd interview with the DM i originally met. Did not like the fact that I had too many jobs in the past because it showed that I was not loyal to a company.

Sales Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in June 2011.

Phone call from district manager. He sets you up with an in store interview with the branch manager of the store you're applying to. basic interview. Then if all goes well you meet with D.M for an interview. Fax your DMV record and you'll be working in a week.

Interview Questions
    • Rank which is most important to least: Salary, benefits, Opportunity   Answer Question
    can choose hours if you have school or something when you're part time. Salary seemed pretty solid.