Fastenal

2.2

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal in October 2014.

The interview was conducted by a senior inside sale member and the second interview were conducted by a hiring manager. The whole process was about 1 week. I applied for the position online and was invited to come in for an interview. They asked several questions about school, works experiences, and behavioral questions. They showed me around the office and the warehouse. I got a rejection email a few days after the interview, overall it was a good experience for me.

General Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal.

I Applied online. My manager pushed my name, because of my performance as a
    Outside salesman. There isn't really anything to it. This is a " Good 'ol Boy club" company if your DM likes you and you produce results you will be fine if your DM doesn't like you count yourself out

Interview Questions
    • It didn't happen. The online test part can be passed by being cocky and consistent. Use good logic on the logic problems   View Answers (2)
    There was non to be had it was made clear. Unless their situation is dire you will not get any consessions

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fastenal.

It was quick and to the point, If you were confident and have somewhat of a thought process. You have a job. Just know that with time and good work you have the chance to move up within the company.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal in June 2014.

Very casual interview. Asked about interests and why I wanted to be part of the company. It seemed more like a "get to know you" type interview. The interview focused more on telling me how to do the job. Again, it was almost less of an interview and more of a job training session.

Interview Questions
    • Really was none. Everything was common sense type questions that made sense to ask.   Answer Question

Accepted a position elsewhere

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Fastenal.

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell this pen to a customer.   View Answer
    Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quakertown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quakertown, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fastenal in August 2012.

Interview was held with store manager at location. Questions were mainly about driving record, customer service experience, knowledge on construction and/or tools, and sales experience. Upon hire, drug test was required. Additionally, manager had to approve me to drive the company truck by going for a ride along. Construction and tool knowledge are not required to get this job as a lot of stuff will be learned on the fly, as well as through the company learning website and binder.

Interview Questions
    • What was one time where a customer asked you something you did not personally know, and how did you acquire a solution for him/her?   Answer Question
    $10 hourly is the company standard and is nonnegotiable. Additionally, 20 hours is the maximum unless otherwise approved by the general manager or above

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in December 2014.

I applied online and was called a week later to have a face-to-face interview. When I showed up, I found out that I was having a group interview including myself and two Fastenal employees. It was a straight-forward process.
    First, I was asked to delve into my experiences and work history.
    Once I was done with that, unexpectedly, I was asked why I had decided to move across the country without a job rather than to just transfer through my previous employer? I was deeply offended by that and although it was NOT my obligation to answer this, I had many good reasons and chose to do so (if it were to at least better my chances for hire). It wasn't completely the questions itself, but the way the question was inferred to me. After I told him my personal reasons of doing so, the interview completely changed pace and feel. I knew from then on that they were completely uninterested in talking with me and I knew they were thinking that I was wasting their time - that's definitely how I felt.
    Next, I was asked "how I would rank myself against previous peers." I said confidently and honestly, "near the top." Right away, he looked at his partner and gave him the look of 'Yeah right, this guy is full of it.' It made me mad and I gave him a long explanation of my work experiences to back up my claim.
    Next, I was asked "why do you think you can be a salesperson." Given I had the experience, skillset, and education, again, it was asked in a snide way as if I had no place in belonging there.
    Lastly, they asked me to regurgitate the history of Fastenal. I didn't have the answer and admitted to not knowing because I primarily focused on what items Fastenal offered, how the company works (what it does), and who their customers are. I also said I didn't have the time to go very in-depth in my research because I had been largely inundated with my move across the country and I had a lot of personal things I've been taking care of including a destroyed fixer-upper house I had move into. After that, the interview was over and rudely, the guy had the nerve to say "now you can go home and work on your house." What a complete tool.
    I knew it was a low paying job but I thought I could go in there and have a casual interview process. Interviews don't scare me!
    Although I knew near the beginning of the interview that the guy was acting like he didn't even want to interview and was complaining to the prior interviewee that "Ugh, I've got several more of these to do," he could at least take my time and his job seriously. It's not the first time I had it happen and it was my fault I wasn't 100% prepared to nail this interview, but I expect to not go into and interview and not be treated like _ _ _ _ and be disrepected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in May 2012.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later from the District Manager. He scheduled an interview with me and I was offered the job on the spot. The interview wasn't difficult, they hire pretty much anyone.

Interview Questions
    • Experience with tools, equipment, etc. I didn't have any experience and I was honest about that. I explained how I was a fast learner and was capable of retaining a lot of information.   View Answer
    Always negotiate wage. Especially if you have some customer service or even knowledge of tools.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in September 2014.

First interview was a 1 on 1 interview at my University. Interviewer was friendly and told me a great deal about Fastenal's history. Questions were very general and not technical. For example, I was asked about why I chose my major, where I would rank myself in my class, and why I wanted to work for Fastenal.

Second interview was in Winona, MN in their IT department. This interview was much longer than the first. I was interviewed by 3 IT managers together. These interviewers went much more in depth and asked some very technical questions. Overall they were very friendly and didn't try to stump me too much. Some of the technical questions were; explain abstraction, explain polymorphism, and explain a business rule. After this interview I met with the IT department VP. He was very friendly and just asked a few basic questions. Nothing technical. Overall these interviews took about 2.5 hours.

After the second interview I was told they would contact me to let me know what they decide. I was contacted about a week later with an offer. The offer was fairly low compared to what other companies will offer for the same position. They did offer a signing bonus, but it wasn't worth the lower salary.

Interview Questions
    • Not really that difficult, but more unexpected. Could you explain what a factory method design patter is?   View Answer

I accepted another offer. The salary offered was below the national average and I was offered a position with a salary more in-line with that average.

General Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Veracruz, Veracruz (Mexico)
    Anonymous Employee in Veracruz, Veracruz (Mexico)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fastenal in February 2014.

A person I know that works in the company made a perseonal reference to the employeer so that he could give me a chance to be part of the enterprise working in the warehouse. He interviewed me just one time and the next day I started working part time.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect of your work here in Fastenal?   View Answer