Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015
Updated Mar 30, 2015

2.2

Part Time Support Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in November 2013.

Interview

Easiest interview I have ever been on. Had an initial phone screen to make sure you were actually a person. First interview was with the GM. Asked what I knew about the company (do a website look-around beforehand), some of my past work experience, and other things. They don't have a SOP for interview questions so it may vary from place to place.
    Second interview was with the DM. Told him a little bit about myself, then for the next 10 minutes he talked about his experience in college. At the end he was like, "Oh by the way you have the job."
    As long as you're not drunk you could probably get the job.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal (Detroit, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Heard of the job opening from a friend. Went into the store and introduced myself, met with the key contacts. Was told the process starts with an online application and evaluation test. When I got home I longed in and went through the process, not hard basic application and evaluation tests. At the end of the personality profile I received a message "Sorry you did not pass our profile test, you may try again in 6 months".

Interview Questions

• Have you ever done outside sales before?   1 Answer

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fastenal (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Had one phone interview and one interview in person. Asked questions that were vey general and not focused on business. Very friendly people I must say but I wish they would have said I would be stocking shelves rather than getting out there to sell.

Inside Sales Interview

Interview

Over the phone with District Manager and Store Manager. Brief over view of your experience and some situational questions. Very typical interview process with no difficult questions asked by either interviewer.

FT Sales Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Gadsden, AL) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a long 3-4 step process. A lot of big picture, sales type questions . Look professional because you will be dealing with customers. Be ready to answer a lot of questions about how you would handle certain sales situations. Do not apply if you are not a friendly people person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They will not promote you as fast as they promise.

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted by a senior inside sale member and the second interview were conducted by a hiring manager. The whole process was about 1 week. I applied for the position online and was invited to come in for an interview. They asked several questions about school, works experiences, and behavioral questions. They showed me around the office and the warehouse. I got a rejection email a few days after the interview, overall it was a good experience for me.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I Applied online. My manager pushed my name, because of my performance as a
    Outside salesman. There isn't really anything to it. This is a " Good 'ol Boy club" company if your DM likes you and you produce results you will be fine if your DM doesn't like you count yourself out

Interview Questions

• It didn't happen. The online test part can be passed by being cocky and consistent. Use good logic on the logic problems   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was non to be had it was made clear. Unless their situation is dire you will not get any consessions

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

It was quick and to the point, If you were confident and have somewhat of a thought process. You have a job. Just know that with time and good work you have the chance to move up within the company.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal in June 2014.

Interview

Very casual interview. Asked about interests and why I wanted to be part of the company. It seemed more like a "get to know you" type interview. The interview focused more on telling me how to do the job. Again, it was almost less of an interview and more of a job training session.

Interview Questions

• Really was none. Everything was common sense type questions that made sense to ask.   Answer Question

Accepted a position elsewhere

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this pen to a customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.