Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in September 2014.

Placed application and resume online. After that, I was contacted by the branch manager for the store in which I was applying. Interview went very well (the best interview I ever had) and was told that he would pass it along to the district manager. Received a call approximately two weeks later to schedule another interview with the district manager. Interview went a little less well than the first but still very well in my opinion and was told yet again that a third interview was required with another district manager in another location. This interview was not at all like the first two. This guy really delved into my resume' and asked many many questions about every little intricacy of the entire document, which, in my opinon should have been the topic from the first interview but it catches your expectations off guard when you become complacent with the the first two interviews. He asked me why I hadnt finished school and I told him the answer and he laughed in a good way like a good ole' boy does. He told me that given my resume and most of my jobs I have had in the past how he couldnt see how I would fit into the trainee position. I must say I was really thrown by this guy who incidently told me he had never worked for any other company but Fastenal. This left me wondering why a job that only pays $2,000 per month before taxes would need such a strenuous process for a position which pays so little. And that led me to ask myself (I wanted to ask him this) why would someone with a Bachelor's in anything even be applying for a trainee position? Isnt this at the heart of why someone labors to complete their degree? To not have to settle for such menial positions? Is it an intelligent decision to let someone in a hiring position who cant have any real empathy for applicants since they havent worked in the job market? Anyway, I am still waiting for a call but the outlook from the third interview is bleek in my opinion since it didnt go very well in comparison to the other two.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in September 2014.

First interview was a 1 on 1 interview at my University. Interviewer was friendly and told me a great deal about Fastenal's history. Questions were very general and not technical. For example, I was asked about why I chose my major, where I would rank myself in my class, and why I wanted to work for Fastenal.

Second interview was in Winona, MN in their IT department. This interview was much longer than the first. I was interviewed by 3 IT managers together. These interviewers went much more in depth and asked some very technical questions. Overall they were very friendly and didn't try to stump me too much. Some of the technical questions were; explain abstraction, explain polymorphism, and explain a business rule. After this interview I met with the IT department VP. He was very friendly and just asked a few basic questions. Nothing technical. Overall these interviews took about 2.5 hours.

After the second interview I was told they would contact me to let me know what they decide. I was contacted about a week later with an offer. The offer was fairly low compared to what other companies will offer for the same position. They did offer a signing bonus, but it wasn't worth the lower salary.

Interview Questions
    • Not really that difficult, but more unexpected. Could you explain what a factory method design patter is?   View Answer

I accepted another offer. The salary offered was below the national average and I was offered a position with a salary more in-line with that average.

Inside Sales Support Interview

this was a great process i learned a lot about the company based on the questions they asked me i would do it again all over again if i could they were smart people and i look forward to hearing back from there hopefully soon thanks for the interview experience my friends

CDL Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winona, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winona, MN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in August 2014.

Very Laid back, they called back within two hours of interview and offered me the job. They never asked and difficult questions, mostly former employer questions and why you want the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in August 2014.

Applied for the position, heard back from the Store Manager of the branch I applied for about 5 business days later. Had an interview with the Store Manager and District Manager the next day. Interview was a little tough but I am relatively new to sales and the business. Most of the questions seemed standard but others were person and really got me thinking. I haven't been challenged like that in quite some time by an employer but I am glad I was because my answers are what got me the position. Entire process took about two weeks, includes the first week of waiting for a response to get an interview and waiting on drug testing results to come back. All in all I would say Fastenal has their ducks in a row and they are true to their word.

Interview Questions
    • What are some long term goals with the company? (Longer than 15 years)   Answer Question
    Offered a fair salary and the the District Mgr added an extra $100.00 a month for the drive I had to make. Its only a 30 min drive but definitely not going to turn down money!

Sales Support Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal in August 2014.

Very laid back. Asked basic questions about what kind of hours I can work and pay expectations. Also asked about where I see myself in 5 years, which hints to the fact that they like to promote from within.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

I applied online through a recruiting site, then was called to schedule in person interview. Showed up for interview and felt welcomed. It was a relaxed environment with simple questions. I could tell they were feeling me out for my true self.

No negotiations.

General Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in July 2014.

Applied for this position and got a call for an interview 3 days later to come in for an interview the following week.
    Went to the location for 1st interview.
    Got a call for 2nd interview/job shadow.
    Got an offer and had to go to Lab corp for drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions at all. Very average interview.   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in July 2014.

Applied online, received notification to apply further within a week, set up interview a week later. In person at location. Was very laid back in setting and relaxing. Interviewer did most of the talking and inquired about company knowledge. Gave clear expectations of job. It only lasted about 30 minutes in length. Given opportunity to ask questions and tour the location. All questions were answered clearly and directly. Showed enthusiasm for the company and having me join it.

None

Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Bryan, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal in July 2014.

Applied online, received email from district manager for me to setup interview with the store manager, interviewed with store manager, then heard nothing for more than 3 weeks after being promised word in less than 2 weeks for a 2nd interview. I had to follow up and was told they done hired someone else and that I need to recontact the district manager, I did with a phone call and email with no response. Unethical treatment of potential employees. In need of HR training.