Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2015

2.2

Sales Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bensalem, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Bensalem, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through my school career center website and received an email from the District Sales Manager a couple weeks later about the opportunity. We arranged an interview and met with him.

I was asked a couple standard interview questions but was asked what questions I had for him. Make sure you have some good questions to ask.

I went through the interview and was told I would need to take an online assessment and a drug test. I passed both and received an offer but declined because I was given a better offer shortly after.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this pen to a customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Colorado Springs, CO) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called a week later to have a face-to-face interview. When I showed up, I found out that I was having a group interview including myself and two Fastenal employees. It was a straight-forward process.
    First, I was asked to delve into my experiences and work history.
    Once I was done with that, unexpectedly, I was asked why I had decided to move across the country without a job rather than to just transfer through my previous employer? I was deeply offended by that and although it was NOT my obligation to answer this, I had many good reasons and chose to do so (if it were to at least better my chances for hire). It wasn't completely the questions itself, but the way the question was inferred to me. After I told him my personal reasons of doing so, the interview completely changed pace and feel. I knew from then on that they were completely uninterested in talking with me and I knew they were thinking that I was wasting their time - that's definitely how I felt.
    Next, I was asked "how I would rank myself against previous peers." I said confidently and honestly, "near the top." Right away, he looked at his partner and gave him the look of 'Yeah right, this guy is full of it.' It made me mad and I gave him a long explanation of my work experiences to back up my claim.
    Next, I was asked "why do you think you can be a salesperson." Given I had the experience, skillset, and education, again, it was asked in a snide way as if I had no place in belonging there.
    Lastly, they asked me to regurgitate the history of Fastenal. I didn't have the answer and admitted to not knowing because I primarily focused on what items Fastenal offered, how the company works (what it does), and who their customers are. I also said I didn't have the time to go very in-depth in my research because I had been largely inundated with my move across the country and I had a lot of personal things I've been taking care of including a destroyed fixer-upper house I had move into. After that, the interview was over and rudely, the guy had the nerve to say "now you can go home and work on your house." What a complete tool.
    I knew it was a low paying job but I thought I could go in there and have a casual interview process. Interviews don't scare me!
    Although I knew near the beginning of the interview that the guy was acting like he didn't even want to interview and was complaining to the prior interviewee that "Ugh, I've got several more of these to do," he could at least take my time and his job seriously. It's not the first time I had it happen and it was my fault I wasn't 100% prepared to nail this interview, but I expect to not go into and interview and not be treated like _ _ _ _ and be disrepected.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Interview

- Make you take a personality test
    - Schedule an interview with the store GM
    - Then an interview with the stores DM
    - Will contact you within the next 2-3 weeks on status

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Very easy going interview process. A conversational interview is what I had. Mostly talking about what I feel sales and services was and how the two were related. Basic questions as to where you worked previously and what you did there.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted by a senior inside sale member and the second interview were conducted by a hiring manager. The whole process was about 1 week. I applied for the position online and was invited to come in for an interview. They asked several questions about school, works experiences, and behavioral questions. They showed me around the office and the warehouse. I got a rejection email a few days after the interview, overall it was a good experience for me.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, seemed like the main point of the interview was to gauge whether I was decently intelligent, had enough social skills to interact with customers, and was genuinely interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to get out of working with us?
      Are you comfortable interesting with customers on a regular basis?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Sales Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

The first step was taking a basic math and English test. Then a phone call from the district manager to set up an appointment . After the first interview , there was a second , which was more laid back. About a week later , i received a call to come , and I was offered the job.

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Longview, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Placed application and resume online. After that, I was contacted by the branch manager for the store in which I was applying. Interview went very well (the best interview I ever had) and was told that he would pass it along to the district manager. Received a call approximately two weeks later to schedule another interview with the district manager. Interview went a little less well than the first but still very well in my opinion and was told yet again that a third interview was required with another district manager in another location. This interview was not at all like the first two. This guy really delved into my resume' and asked many many questions about every little intricacy of the entire document, which, in my opinon should have been the topic from the first interview but it catches your expectations off guard when you become complacent with the the first two interviews. He asked me why I hadnt finished school and I told him the answer and he laughed in a good way like a good ole' boy does. He told me that given my resume and most of my jobs I have had in the past how he couldnt see how I would fit into the trainee position. I must say I was really thrown by this guy who incidently told me he had never worked for any other company but Fastenal. This left me wondering why a job that only pays $2,000 per month before taxes would need such a strenuous process for a position which pays so little. And that led me to ask myself (I wanted to ask him this) why would someone with a Bachelor's in anything even be applying for a trainee position? Isnt this at the heart of why someone labors to complete their degree? To not have to settle for such menial positions? Is it an intelligent decision to let someone in a hiring position who cant have any real empathy for applicants since they havent worked in the job market? Anyway, I am still waiting for a call but the outlook from the third interview is bleek in my opinion since it didnt go very well in comparison to the other two.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Winona, MN) in September 2014.

Interview

First interview was a 1 on 1 interview at my University. Interviewer was friendly and told me a great deal about Fastenal's history. Questions were very general and not technical. For example, I was asked about why I chose my major, where I would rank myself in my class, and why I wanted to work for Fastenal.

Second interview was in Winona, MN in their IT department. This interview was much longer than the first. I was interviewed by 3 IT managers together. These interviewers went much more in depth and asked some very technical questions. Overall they were very friendly and didn't try to stump me too much. Some of the technical questions were; explain abstraction, explain polymorphism, and explain a business rule. After this interview I met with the IT department VP. He was very friendly and just asked a few basic questions. Nothing technical. Overall these interviews took about 2.5 hours.

After the second interview I was told they would contact me to let me know what they decide. I was contacted about a week later with an offer. The offer was fairly low compared to what other companies will offer for the same position. They did offer a signing bonus, but it wasn't worth the lower salary.

Interview Questions

• Not really that difficult, but more unexpected. Could you explain what a factory method design patter is?   1 Answer

I accepted another offer. The salary offered was below the national average and I was offered a position with a salary more in-line with that average.