Fastenal

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

The interview was short. Talked with the district manager for about on hour about how my values and the companies matched up. Basic questions for an interview, such as, what are my values when working, where do I see myself in five years and what my careergoals are.

I was pleased with the offer, therefore I acceptedkt right away.

General Manager Interview

Not very lengthy. 2 interviews and a meeting to walk through daily operations.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in January 2014.

must take and pass an online personality test. Once done, there are two interviews: one with the store manager and one with the district manager. Interviews ask questions about personal values and goals.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

I was hired to this position from the Sales position.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready for math formula questions to calculate margin.   Answer Question
    You can maybe ask for 200 more per month.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

First off just for part time at Fastenal, you have to take an online assessment. It isnt that hard, but you only get 2 minutes to answer each question, and they take almost the whole 2 minutes. It is just a lot of thinking and comparing. If you pass that, then your results and resume get sent to the district manager. He or she can then decide whether they call you in for an interview.
    -The first interview is with the district manager. Basically ask you the typical questions like what do you know about Fastenal, why did you chose Fastenal and so on and so forth
    -Then I met with the district manager for another district (why? I dont know? I wasnt going to be working in his district) I had to drive 45 mins to meet with him for literally 10 mins just for him to ask me THE EXACT same questions as the other DM did.
    -The third part was meeting with the stores Manager at the store with whom they were hiring. He asked the same questions as the other 2 and then told me they would get back to me. I believe I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions
    • I didnt have anything to difficult that was asked of me. Just make sure you know your basic facts about Fastenal and be sure to ask questions yourself.   Answer Question
    n/a

OSP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

The hiring process seems to be very long, but it weeds out the bad most of the time.

Interview Questions
    • What are three characteristics that you feel are important to be a good salesman   View Answer

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seguin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seguin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal in December 2013.

The hiring process was pretty basic, the district manager was more interested in what I could bring to the company from past experience and education rather than simply past experience. The interview was very relaxed and I felt comfortable the entire time. When I transferred to another branch, the interview was over the phone and the new manager felt comfortable enough to hire me based on that.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to collect payment on accounts from customers that have disappeared from the area?   Answer Question

PT Do Everything Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spooner, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spooner, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fastenal in December 2013.

Part-time Customer Service. I can't think of one thing that was good. The GM was never in the store within 2 weeks of starting i was left alone for hours. It was really wonderful when the GM came back and showed us all the goodies she got at Maurices. I was told I needed to step up because I missed 2 days of work. Most horrible experience ever. Wish I could post the write up I received after risking my life for the company by driving in blizzard conditions.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. The pay is horrible and I was desperate for a job.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal.

Single interview after a previsor assessment test is taken. Only consider those who score well on the test and the interview is based on a long term goal of your employment. The interview is to make sure that you are someone whom they could move into a sales role or manager of a store in the long run.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself with the company in the next 10 years   Answer Question
    Very easy to negotiate although not much flexibility in pay.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fastenal.

You have to pass an online assessment that tests your personality type, as well as a 'think on your feet' questionnaire. It is designed to be very challenging so you need to try very hard, even if you are a smart person. Once you pass there is a face to face interview w/ your direct, prospective manager. If that goes well then there's an additional interview w/ the District Manager. The DM is an extremely tenured employee and is usually by nature very intimidating. They are looking for a person w/ strong mental toughness, man of action, alpha tendencies, self motivating, etc.

They do not negotiate pay very well, or at all. They are all too busy to pay attention to such unimportant things at it doesn't pertain to them.