Fastenal Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
140 interviews

2.2

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

First off just for part time at Fastenal, you have to take an online assessment. It isnt that hard, but you only get 2 minutes to answer each question, and they take almost the whole 2 minutes. It is just a lot of thinking and comparing. If you pass that, then your results and resume get sent to the district manager. He or she can then decide whether they call you in for an interview.
    -The first interview is with the district manager. Basically ask you the typical questions like what do you know about Fastenal, why did you chose Fastenal and so on and so forth
    -Then I met with the district manager for another district (why? I dont know? I wasnt going to be working in his district) I had to drive 45 mins to meet with him for literally 10 mins just for him to ask me THE EXACT same questions as the other DM did.
    -The third part was meeting with the stores Manager at the store with whom they were hiring. He asked the same questions as the other 2 and then told me they would get back to me. I believe I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions
    • I didnt have anything to difficult that was asked of me. Just make sure you know your basic facts about Fastenal and be sure to ask questions yourself.   Answer Question
    n/a

General Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in December 2009.

Online through a selection process including a test, Pass the test and you get a chance to get called. Once called in you will most likely have an interview with two different managers at two different times and locations. Then selected by who was the best employee.

Interview Questions
    • If you could sell anything, what would that item or product be?   View Answer
    Wasn't much negotiation. Was told that was the most I could make. Would make more in commission. Came to about 3% of the store sales.

OSP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Longview, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

The hiring process seems to be very long, but it weeds out the bad most of the time.

Interview Questions
    • What are three characteristics that you feel are important to be a good salesman   View Answer

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Fastenal in April 2013.

Interview was very easy going and straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Why should i pick you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    No negotiation was allowed. Pay was set at $10.00 and you can only work 28 hours a week.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Fastenal.

Single interview after a previsor assessment test is taken. Only consider those who score well on the test and the interview is based on a long term goal of your employment. The interview is to make sure that you are someone whom they could move into a sales role or manager of a store in the long run.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself with the company in the next 10 years   Answer Question
    Very easy to negotiate although not much flexibility in pay.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Fastenal.

You have to pass an online assessment that tests your personality type, as well as a 'think on your feet' questionnaire. It is designed to be very challenging so you need to try very hard, even if you are a smart person. Once you pass there is a face to face interview w/ your direct, prospective manager. If that goes well then there's an additional interview w/ the District Manager. The DM is an extremely tenured employee and is usually by nature very intimidating. They are looking for a person w/ strong mental toughness, man of action, alpha tendencies, self motivating, etc.

They do not negotiate pay very well, or at all. They are all too busy to pay attention to such unimportant things at it doesn't pertain to them.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Fastenal in April 2011.

You must pass an online assessment. In the assessment online there are word problems and it is timed. Some of them do not have actual answers. Make sure you have a paper and pen. Once you have done this if you have a pulse and are not on drugs you get the job. 1-2 interviews to make you think you did something to earn it.

Interview Questions
    • In the assessment online there are word problems and it is timed. Some of them do not have actual answers. Make sure you have a paper and pen.   Answer Question
    They offer you a salary and that is the only option unless you are friends with the DM or they are desperate.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

2 interviews with different DMs and one ride along with one of the more vetted GMs. The whole process took about a month. They don't do a background check, only a driving record check. Felons are welcome to apply because they don't even check. You don't have to have a college degree to work there.

Interview Questions
    • One of the managers asked me "why would you want to work for Fastenal of all places?" during my ride along. It was in a negative tone like I was making a mistake.   View Answer
    no negotiation and they avoid it as much as possible

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Fastenal.

Two interviews. 1. first with the general manager - just basic questions 2. second interview with district manager. He just wants to get to know you and give you the job.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fall River, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fall River, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in March 2013.

Interview with manager then interview with District Manager