Fastenal Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.2

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal (Detroit, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Heard of the job opening from a friend. Went into the store and introduced myself, met with the key contacts. Was told the process starts with an online application and evaluation test. When I got home I longed in and went through the process, not hard basic application and evaluation tests. At the end of the personality profile I received a message "Sorry you did not pass our profile test, you may try again in 6 months".

Interview Questions

• Have you ever done outside sales before?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

The interview was short. Talked with the district manager for about on hour about how my values and the companies matched up. Basic questions for an interview, such as, what are my values when working, where do I see myself in five years and what my careergoals are.

Negotiation

I was pleased with the offer, therefore I acceptedkt right away.

General Manager Interview

Interview

Not very lengthy. 2 interviews and a meeting to walk through daily operations.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fastenal (Bozeman, MT) in January 2014.

Interview

must take and pass an online personality test. Once done, there are two interviews: one with the store manager and one with the district manager. Interviews ask questions about personal values and goals.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

I was hired to this position from the Sales position.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for math formula questions to calculate margin.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can maybe ask for 200 more per month.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

First off just for part time at Fastenal, you have to take an online assessment. It isnt that hard, but you only get 2 minutes to answer each question, and they take almost the whole 2 minutes. It is just a lot of thinking and comparing. If you pass that, then your results and resume get sent to the district manager. He or she can then decide whether they call you in for an interview.
    -The first interview is with the district manager. Basically ask you the typical questions like what do you know about Fastenal, why did you chose Fastenal and so on and so forth
    -Then I met with the district manager for another district (why? I dont know? I wasnt going to be working in his district) I had to drive 45 mins to meet with him for literally 10 mins just for him to ask me THE EXACT same questions as the other DM did.
    -The third part was meeting with the stores Manager at the store with whom they were hiring. He asked the same questions as the other 2 and then told me they would get back to me. I believe I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions

• I didnt have anything to difficult that was asked of me. Just make sure you know your basic facts about Fastenal and be sure to ask questions yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a

OSP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longview, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fastenal (Longview, TX).

Interview

The hiring process seems to be very long, but it weeds out the bad most of the time.

Interview Questions

• What are three characteristics that you feel are important to be a good salesman   1 Answer

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seguin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fastenal (Seguin, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty basic, the district manager was more interested in what I could bring to the company from past experience and education rather than simply past experience. The interview was very relaxed and I felt comfortable the entire time. When I transferred to another branch, the interview was over the phone and the new manager felt comfortable enough to hire me based on that.

Interview Questions

• How are you going to collect payment on accounts from customers that have disappeared from the area?   Answer Question

PT Do Everything Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spooner, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fastenal (Spooner, WI) in December 2013.

Interview

Part-time Customer Service. I can't think of one thing that was good. The GM was never in the store within 2 weeks of starting i was left alone for hours. It was really wonderful when the GM came back and showed us all the goodies she got at Maurices. I was told I needed to step up because I missed 2 days of work. Most horrible experience ever. Wish I could post the write up I received after risking my life for the company by driving in blizzard conditions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing. Horrible interviewer   1 Answer

Negotiation

Nothing. The pay is horrible and I was desperate for a job.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Single interview after a previsor assessment test is taken. Only consider those who score well on the test and the interview is based on a long term goal of your employment. The interview is to make sure that you are someone whom they could move into a sales role or manager of a store in the long run.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself with the company in the next 10 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy to negotiate although not much flexibility in pay.