Fastenal

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales Interview

Sales Trainee/Outside Sales

Interviewed at Fastenal

Interview Details – Hiring process takes over a month. I had to go through 4 interviews. One was a ride along day where you spend half a day doing work and you don't get paid for it.

Interview Question – all the usual questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Part Time Support Interview

Part Time Support
Bryan, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fastenal in May 2012.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview with the district manager. It was pretty low key. Not a lot of hard questions. It was more just conversation.

Interview Question – Just make sure that infasize that you plan to stay with the company for the long term, even if you don't plan on it. They have such a high turnover rate that they are looking for people that plan to stay with the company. Sorry I don't remember any questions. It was more talk about yourself and about why I wanted to be an Industrial Distribution major. Easy stuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Drug test and $10/hour. This is a pretty set rate as a part timer. It is great money but it would be nice if it moved up to $12/hour after a year or so.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Selma, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fastenal in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was going from store to store looking for a job and Fastenal was hiring. They asked me to come back for an interview. I walked in and they told me sit on this tall stool between them. They asked me some questions about why I would be good for the job and what I could do for them. They said they would let me know if I got the job. A few days later they called and told me to come in the next day. They put me straight to work with no training.

Interview Question – What will you do for us?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They said I would start at $9 and move up. I never got moved up.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

OUTSIDE SALES

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and took an online test that lasted over an hour. Received a phone call to interview with the district manager and store's general manager.

Interview Question – How do you see this company overtaking the competition?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Muskogee, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – real simple interview with the DM, seemed like a nice guy. Asked basic questions; what sets me apart from other applicants, why did i choose fastenal over other employers. Said it was between me and 2 other guys so im just waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – none, it was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
San Diego, CA

Interview Details – 2 separate interviews

Interview Question – What makes you different than the other candidates   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – 1 interview with DM and regional vp to get the outside sales position. Asked about my experience with sales and customer service. What I knew about Fastenal....promoted to GM a year later.

Interview Question – What are your fears when it comes to running your own store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Part-Time Sales Support Interview

Part-Time Sales Support
Parsippany, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fastenal in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was as basic as possible; the behavioral questions such as "tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here?, why should we hire you?" - those questions were ones people seeking employment should prepare for. A simple preparation for addressing these types of questions would make any interviewee a stand out candidate.

Interview Question – "Can you think of a time where you had an issue with a colleague and how the matter was resolved?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate; the pay was good and the hours were balanced to meet my school schedule.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Fastenal

Interview Details – Standard phone interview which consisted of generic questions and location preferences. Followed up with actual interview at preferred location that lasted 2 hours.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in Fastenal in 5 years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – poor pay

General Manager Interview

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with managers and district managers. They are taught to look for type A personalities, want people who actively want to move up the ladder. Tons of trainings available. Always bring that up in interviews because the company is rightly proud of all the effort they've put into them.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, tried but they wouldn't budge. Wouldn't recommend trying to play hardball, as most district managers will actually rescind the job offer.