Fastenal

Relevance Date Difficulty

Outside Sale Interview

Outside Sale
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in November 2010.

Interview Details – Easy, just need to be uobeat and have the ability to converse freely aboutsales goals and what you can bring to the company. Must also be able to make friends with your interviewing DM. Dont BS him just be youself and you will do fine. The DM that interviews you was once in your shoes.Just pay attention to his questions and answer truthfully and have a hood time wuth him. If he likes your personality you have won 90% of the game.Good luck.

Interview Question – Math and problem solving skills. Also questions regarding ethics may throw you off. Pay attention as some can be tricky, I suppose they are what they say ethicak questions that you need to answer truthfully.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You are asked what you want to make and there is what you are hoing to get, Aim high expect low.

Interviewed at Fastenal

Interview Details – The interview process was in two steps. First was with the GM and then with the GM and DM. Both were very laid back. I overdressed but I would still recommend this. Very easy going straight forward questions.

OUTSIDE SALES

I applied online and interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – You have to pass an online assessment that tests your personality type, as well as a 'think on your feet' questionnaire. It is designed to be very challenging so you need to try very hard, even if you are a smart person. Once you pass there is a face to face interview w/ your direct, prospective manager. If that goes well then there's an additional interview w/ the District Manager. The DM is an extremely tenured employee and is usually by nature very intimidating. They are looking for a person w/ strong mental toughness, man of action, alpha tendencies, self motivating, etc.

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate pay very well, or at all. They are all too busy to pay attention to such unimportant things at it doesn't pertain to them.

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – 2 interviews with different DMs and one ride along with one of the more vetted GMs. The whole process took about a month. They don't do a background check, only a driving record check. Felons are welcome to apply because they don't even check. You don't have to have a college degree to work there.

Interview Question – One of the managers asked me "why would you want to work for Fastenal of all places?" during my ride along. It was in a negative tone like I was making a mistake.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation and they avoid it as much as possible

OUTSIDE SALES

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and took an online test that lasted over an hour. Received a phone call to interview with the district manager and store's general manager.

Interview Question – How do you see this company overtaking the competition?   Answer Question

Sterling, IL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Fastenal in February 2011.

Interview Details – In February I submitted my resume to fastenals website and about three days later received an email from Tim Cavanaugh at the Sterling store asking to meet with me. I responded yes and was enthused about the opportunity. A couple days later I met with him and had an informal interview for about an hour. He seemed like a decent enough person and got the impressions that I could work well with him. He told me that they might be calling me and would let me know soon whether I had a second interview with a district manager.
I drove home about 15 minutes and when I checked my email there was a request to meet with the DM on Monday. I went to meet with John the DM on Monday and interviewed for approximately an hour. He told me that I would be working on establishing accounts in the Dixon area and that he expected we could get about 40% growth within twelve months. I told him that I researched fastenals product line and pricing and questioned the ability of any sales rep to overcome the far higher prices they had in comparison to other suppliers or hardware stores. He told me that they sell the servicing of a customers inventory and that it would be my responsibility to ensure that existing or new accounts were being monitored closely. In my opinion and based on the current economic conditions finding companies that were willing to pay higher prices for fastenals service in the Dixon area and accomplish a 40% growth margin within twelve months was fantasy or John trying to sell me on the job opening. After that we started to discuss compensation and that is where the fantasy and reality were very far apart. I was told I would be paid a base salary of $2,000 per month and if I grew their accounts in dixon at the rate John had proposed I could potentially make another $900 per month for a grand total of $34, 800 per year. I live in a modest home and am a very conservative spender and thought they were insane. If you have a mortgage, car payments, and so on there is no way this position could support most people unless you live in your car. John asked how I felt about the salary as I bid my farewell to him and I responded with I would have to get back to him after I ran some numbers.
Obviously I never called back. For a kid in college this could be a great opportunity but for an established man like myself this would barely pay the bills.
Also beware that they will stress relocation to a possible new store in the future if you want to work with them.
After the interview I landed a real job paying a base of $50,000 a year with bonus commission, fuel allowance, 401K, good insurance, cell phone paid all of which Fastenal did not offer.
The owners of this company are obviously getting rich off the backs of their employees.
Steer clear of Fastenal if you are looking for a decent wage and realistic goals set for you.

Interview Question – The interviewer followed a list of questions he had printed out   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Lack of pay, apparent dishonesty, fictitious goals

Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fastenal in June 2010.

Interview Details – Standard interview questions. Strengths, Weeknesses, where do you see yourself in 5 years, what do you know about fastenal.

Interview Questions

Kansas, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fastenal in July 2008.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of the your basic google search "interview questions" and by the book straight down the line. This isn't a rocket science job. You will be suprised by how much money this company makes, and cuts you an eany meany pile a crap piece. You will hate it. Check out the turnover rate when you get a chance.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal what would it be?   View Answer
  • What issues did you have with a previous employer, how was it handled.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No, go elsewhere. You will be kicking yourself in 4 months when you really begin to realize how frugile and cheap this company really is.

OUTSIDE SALES

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Fastenal in November 2007.

Interview Details – First I interviewed with the District Manager for about 20 minutes. the interview was fairly casual and I did not feel that any of the questions we especially difficult. They asked the usual questions like Why do you want to work for Fastenal? Give an example of a situation when you showed excellent customer service skills. What is your 5 year plan and do you want to move up in the company.

I then met with the general manager of the location I would be working at. This was even more casual. This was more of a meet and greet in which he more or less told me what the job was like. No real hard questions were asked.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the company in 5 years?   Answer Question

OUTSIDE SALES

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview Details – Very easy if you have any sales experience. I first had an interview with a district manager, then my branch manager. I recommend stressing from your resume that you proactively went after customers, built relationships, reached out to top level employees, have B2B (business 2 business) experience, etc. College degree is NOT A FACTOR!! Just concentrate on that and building a good relationship with whoever interviews you, and you'll be golden.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; hourly pay + overtime for initial training phase (3 months), then low 30k salary + commission.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!