Fastenal Outside Sales Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.0

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Most of the company hires from in house. Normally you would start out as a support services employee learning the branch operations and product. From there you would move into a more active role with Outside sales taking care of your own accounts and establishing relationships. The inter view process for the outside sales position will be based on how you approach your customers and personality. Since it has been over four years since I was employed by Fastenal I believe their structure has changed.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell this pen to a customer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Research the company. They will have a number that they would like to give but if you hold your ground for what you are worth and if you are worth it you could get a compromise.

Other Interview Reviews for Fastenal

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Very easy going interview process. A conversational interview is what I had. Mostly talking about what I feel sales and services was and how the two were related. Basic questions as to where you worked previously and what you did there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Nashville, TN) in October 2014.

Interview

A test is required to even get an interview. The test is not a hard test, but many people fail it because it can be a little tricky. Once you get past that, you will typically have a phone screening where they just call to get to know you just a little bit before the 1:1 interview.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Interview

The interview process was in two steps. First was with the GM and then with the GM and DM. Both were very laid back. I overdressed but I would still recommend this. Very easy going straight forward questions.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

You have to pass an online assessment that tests your personality type, as well as a 'think on your feet' questionnaire. It is designed to be very challenging so you need to try very hard, even if you are a smart person. Once you pass there is a face to face interview w/ your direct, prospective manager. If that goes well then there's an additional interview w/ the District Manager. The DM is an extremely tenured employee and is usually by nature very intimidating. They are looking for a person w/ strong mental toughness, man of action, alpha tendencies, self motivating, etc.

Negotiation

They do not negotiate pay very well, or at all. They are all too busy to pay attention to such unimportant things at it doesn't pertain to them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Houston, TX).

Interview

2 interviews with different DMs and one ride along with one of the more vetted GMs. The whole process took about a month. They don't do a background check, only a driving record check. Felons are welcome to apply because they don't even check. You don't have to have a college degree to work there.

Interview Questions

• One of the managers asked me "why would you want to work for Fastenal of all places?" during my ride along. It was in a negative tone like I was making a mistake.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation and they avoid it as much as possible

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Once you apply online they will contact you to do an online test. Basically the test checks your personality. Asks questions to make sure your a leader and a hunter. Called in for first interview. Want to make sure your a good people person. Don't need to know specifics of industry. About a 30 min interview, then asked to come back to meet with Rvp. Pretty quick process

Interview Questions

• What makes you confident you can sell to different types of business?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Tulsa, OK) in May 2011.

Interview

It was very laid back not a lot of questions we mainly talked about my previous experience and why I wanted the position. He described the job and asked me if I was interested. I told him yes and we went from there. The job was pretty simple and laid back.

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in ten years?   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal in May 2011.

Interview

You will have two interviews. The general manager or district manager will be conducting the interview or both will be present. They are interested in people looking for a long term career. They want you to be talkative and comfortable with sales. The only two options are part time or full time outside sales.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Sterling, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

In February I submitted my resume to fastenals website and about three days later received an email from Tim Cavanaugh at the Sterling store asking to meet with me. I responded yes and was enthused about the opportunity. A couple days later I met with him and had an informal interview for about an hour. He seemed like a decent enough person and got the impressions that I could work well with him. He told me that they might be calling me and would let me know soon whether I had a second interview with a district manager. I drove home about 15 minutes and when I checked my email there was a request to meet with the DM on Monday. I went to meet with John the DM on Monday and interviewed for approximately an hour. He told me that I would be working on establishing accounts in the Dixon area and that he expected we could get about 40% growth within twelve months. I told him that I researched fastenals product line and pricing and questioned the ability of any sales rep to overcome the far higher prices they had in comparison to other suppliers or hardware stores. He told me that they sell the servicing of a customers inventory and that it would be my responsibility to ensure that existing or new accounts were being monitored closely. In my opinion and based on the current economic conditions finding companies that were willing to pay higher prices for fastenals service in the Dixon area and accomplish a 40% growth margin within twelve months was fantasy or John trying to sell me on the job opening. After that we started to discuss compensation and that is where the fantasy and reality were very far apart. I was told I would be paid a base salary of $2,000 per month and if I grew their accounts in dixon at the rate John had proposed I could potentially make another $900 per month for a grand total of $34, 800 per year. I live in a modest home and am a very conservative spender and thought they were insane. If you have a mortgage, car payments, and so on there is no way this position could support most people unless you live in your car. John asked how I felt about the salary as I bid my farewell to him and I responded with I would have to get back to him after I ran some numbers. Obviously I never called back. For a kid in college this could be a great opportunity but for an established man like myself this would barely pay the bills. Also beware that they will stress relocation to a possible new store in the future if you want to work with them. After the interview I landed a real job paying a base of $50,000 a year with bonus commission, fuel allowance, 401K, good insurance, cell phone paid all of which Fastenal did not offer. The owners of this company are obviously getting rich off the backs of their employees. Steer clear of Fastenal if you are looking for a decent wage and realistic goals set for you.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer followed a list of questions he had printed out   Answer Question

Lack of pay, apparent dishonesty, fictitious goals