FatWire Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at FatWire

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at FatWire (Mineola, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

easy questions

Interview Questions

• avoid serialization for a data field   1 Answer

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at FatWire (Mineola, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

Phone Interview: Many questions on Core Java - standout questions that seemed to be important were: what it takes to create an immutable class, the methods of Object, and implementations of hashCode() and equals(). Interview lasted 45 mins. Face to face technical with multiple developers: Many of the same questions as in phone interview repeated, deeper exploration of Java concepts, to the effect of "why is this written like this, why would you do this as opposed to that, etc. etc." Java questions were followed by a word problem ( a puzzle ). This part of the interview lasted 1:30 mins. Face to face technical with architect and VP: Asked questions on how would I design a number of hypothetical systems. One problem was reading in a large text file that was too large to hold in memory and required paging. Followed by questions about the architecture and design of a recent project I had participated in. Most of the questions came from the architect, who I would say was very fair in his interviewing. When I didn't really understand what he was asking, he made the effort to reiterate what he was saying in a different manner. The VP didn't say much except to periodically interject criticism towards my previous experience as too "small" for what they do. ( I had worked on a major e-commerce site that had hundreds of thousands of lines of code, they worked with millions of lines of code - once you get into the hundreds of thousands, whats the difference?) This part lasted another 45 mins to an hour. There wasn't any HR style interview, no standard interview questions. I spoke to the recruiter who got me the interview, and he confirmed my belief that I had passed the first two technical rounds before getting bounced in the third round with the architect and VP. Perceptions: A difficult interview overall - probably the most comprehensive I've ever been subjected to. I feel like it came down to the VP just did not like me for some reason that really wasn't based on my technical ability. I hate to say it, but it could be that I was not Indian enough and he felt I would not fit into the culture there. The developers I spoke to said they loved working there and that it was a very laid back atmosphere. Dress was business casual. The office itself was pretty nice, the cubicles looked modern, albeit very small.

Interview Questions

• What are the steps required to write an immutable class?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FatWire in March 2010.

Interview

Submitted my resume through a job affair, and then again by E-mail. Was E-mailed a huge research project by E-mail. Had to do with J2EE technologies, took me a week to complete. Send it back, did not get a response, send it back a second time and got a phone interview. I thought it went well, but I never heard back from them despite my attempts to get in touch.