FedEx Freight Dock Worker Interview Questions

2.0

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Jackson, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Jackson, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at FedEx Freight in February 2014.

Applied online. Got the call for an interview within a week.

Other Interview Reviews for FedEx Freight

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FedEx Freight in October 2013.

Very simple interview. Questions the supervisor asks are irrelevant to the position, but are required by the company to ask. Once hired, a drug screen is completed and you are notified within a week or two.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem that got in the way of your work. What was the problem? How did you solve the problem? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Snow Shoe, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Snow Shoe, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at FedEx Freight in September 2011.

Had to apply online and if they like what they see, then they give you a phone call for a phone interview. The online application was just like any other application. You had to fill out the question about your personality and stuff like that. If that went well, then you are scheduled a face to face interview with either the Service Center Manager (main boss) or the Operations Manager (second in command). At the face to face, i had to do a quick math test to see if i could figure out how many boxes on 1 skid, or if a 5ft tall skid would fit in a 4ft tall space. Very simple math problems. After that you usually wait a day or to to get a phone call from the interviewer asking when you can come and start.

Interview Questions
    • If you dont know how to do something, and you are pressed for time to do it, what do you do?   View Answer
    The only thing i got to negotiate was when i started working their. The first week or two you watch training videos and do computer test so you get to decide when to start actually working for the company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at FedEx Freight in June 2011.

The hiring process was pretty simple to get in.

To get the interview, I was recommended by a friend who already works there (this is your best chance to get in. FedEx hires mostly from internal recommendations... Though not always). The terminal manager called and asked me if I was interested in the job, and if I was able to meet these qualifications:

1) Able to lift 75 lbs
    2) Willing to work out in the heat or cold (the dock is like basically working outside, though you have a covered roof).
    3) For my shift, be able to work nights.

Those were the main things that they were interested in because all of the freight comes in at night, so it is only a night shift job.

After the mini phone session, we set up an interview in which I met with the Terminal Manager (very nice man). He asked a lot of "what if" questions because he was required to by corporate.

This would be quite similar to one of those questions "Describe a time where a customer or employee was angry with you because of something you did/caused. How did you react to him/her? How did you resolve the situation?"

Though not perfect, it's very close to what they ask. Every question besides a little about my personal life (where I live, where I go to school, etc.) was that type of format. The good thing is, if you don't have a situation that actually happened to you, it is allowed to make one up (and tell how you would handle it) or even describe situations that happened to friends or family (and then how you would've handled it).

The company is organized when it comes to getting all your stuff together. However, a little slow on the actually hiring. After my interview, it took 3 weeks for corporate to approve me for training/work. So have a cash reserve if you plan on quitting your other job (if you have one).

The office and people in it are generally nice. Some people aren't interested in you, but that's a minority. Generally everybody is easy to get along with (especially if you work hard and do well).

The one thing you need to be prepared for if you become a dock worker, is be ready to get dirty. In the summer, you will sweat tons (I lost ten pounds in less than a month just working there). Also, there's dust and other stuff floating in the air, that'll stick to your stick (though it sounds worse than it is).
    Have clothes that you don't care about getting dirty, bring gloves, and black steel toe boots (no other color accepted)

Interview Questions
    • This is a paraphrase of the question: "Describe, if hired, how much time you would allow yourself to get to work ontime." (Something like that)   View Answer
    The pay isn't all that negotiable, but I started out making $14.90, in which I was definitely ok with to start.

There's nothing that's really negotiable otherwise, but they don't leave anything out that you should know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at FedEx Freight in June 2011.

A phone call to get personal information and to set up the face to face interview. The interview was situation questions and then mathematical questions followed by a drug test at the end.

Interview Questions
    Practice math and stay off drugs

Dock Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FedEx Freight in May 2012.

The interview consisted mostly of past jobs questions. I didn't have any experience in this field but I was able to relate my experiences to the questions. I studied the history of FedEx thinking I was going to be asked what I knew about the company but they never did. They did give me a multiplication worksheet with 6 easy problems.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a supervisor told you to do something that you disagreed with.   View Answer