Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Interview Questions

2.6

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in July 2013.

I applied with USAJOBS and got a phone interview a month later. The interviewer was very nice, but asked questions that kept me on my toes. She then sent me a document to look over. A skype interview was set up a couple weeks later where we discussed the document as well as my personal qualifications,. After requesting a writing sample from me, they called me up the next day to ask when I would be available to start. The was no onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very difficult or technical.   Answer Question
    Salary is non-negotiable, but you can talk your way into a signing/relocation bonus.

Fisheries Biologist--Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

The opportunity was for a summer internship at the Washington, DC office. The hiring process consisted of being encouraged to apply to the opportunity through submitting my resume to the hiring manager. I submitted my resume and was e-mailed concerning the status of my application. Shortly thereafter, I participated in a phone interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are qualified for this opportunity?   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

First, I had a phone interview to gage my interest and then was invited to DC for an in-person interview. I was mainly interviewed by the department head, who asked general behavioral questions, such as how I would deal with a heavy workload or a challenge and examples of when I had done so before. They emphasized that the position involved learning lots of regulatory rules and formats very quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Answering repeated questions about how you deal with challenging situations and if you felt you could handle the job.   Answer Question

Salary, job very specific (not able to explore broader interests)

Trial Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in September 2012.

There were two rounds. An initial round where I met with a few attorneys individually and then a panel consisting of all the branch chiefs. Then a second round with the Legal Director and Director of the division. They acted very quickly after each round and checked my references. Picking a start date was a little annoying b/c they made me start on the first day of a pay period, so in a month, there are only two potential start dates.

Interview Questions
    • Director asked me a hypo about if I was at a deposition off-site and something went wrong. Was one of those "there's no right answer" questions, but its good to keep your wits about you and answer intelligently.   Answer Question
    I didnt negotiate. I think its harder to negotiate with the government---just didnt seem like there was flexibility.

Engineering Technician, Office of Electric Reliability Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in May 2011.

For internship positions, it is easiest to have an internal employee referral. Also, the office within FERC which you are interested in must have a position available. Since I had an employee referral, my interview was pretty easy. It was a phone interview- they asked me what I knew about power (the more the better of course) and why I wanted to work at FERC. Also, saying that a full-time position at FERC is something you are very interested in helps a lot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know, or what experience do you have with 3-phase power?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at FERC?   View Answer

Energy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in March 2008.

Applied using USA Jobs. I was contacted by deputy director of the Office of Energy Market Regulation East shortly after that by phone. Had two phone interviews. Then, I was flown to Washington, DC for an in-person interview with my future manager, deputy and office director. I was offered a position with a week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation dealing with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question
    The federal government has a limited ability to negotiate in the hiring process. However, I was given credit for several years of previous work experience in the leave system - this was a valuable benefit in my early years here.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in January 2008.

3 interviews back to back. One with staff attorney, one director, and last, deputy general counsel.

Economist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

I had someone call to set up an interview by phone. Then I was interviewed by phone. Then I was asked to come in to the office. Then I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    I was explained what I was being offered, then an offer was extended by phone.