Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Relevance Date Difficulty

Economist Interview

Economist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied with USAJOBS and got a phone interview a month later. The interviewer was very nice, but asked questions that kept me on my toes. She then sent me a document to look over. A skype interview was set up a couple weeks later where we discussed the document as well as my personal qualifications,. After requesting a writing sample from me, they called me up the next day to ask when I would be available to start. The was no onsite interview.

Interview Question – None of the questions were very difficult or technical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is non-negotiable, but you can talk your way into a signing/relocation bonus.

Trial Attorney Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in September 2012.

Interview Details – There were two rounds. An initial round where I met with a few attorneys individually and then a panel consisting of all the branch chiefs. Then a second round with the Legal Director and Director of the division. They acted very quickly after each round and checked my references. Picking a start date was a little annoying b/c they made me start on the first day of a pay period, so in a month, there are only two potential start dates.

Interview Question – Director asked me a hypo about if I was at a deposition off-site and something went wrong. Was one of those "there's no right answer" questions, but its good to keep your wits about you and answer intelligently.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt negotiate. I think its harder to negotiate with the government---just didnt seem like there was flexibility.

Fisheries Biologist--Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview Details – The opportunity was for a summer internship at the Washington, DC office. The hiring process consisted of being encouraged to apply to the opportunity through submitting my resume to the hiring manager. I submitted my resume and was e-mailed concerning the status of my application. Shortly thereafter, I participated in a phone interview process.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are qualified for this opportunity?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-Op Interview

Washington, DC

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview to gage my interest and then was invited to DC for an in-person interview. I was mainly interviewed by the department head, who asked general behavioral questions, such as how I would deal with a heavy workload or a challenge and examples of when I had done so before. They emphasized that the position involved learning lots of regulatory rules and formats very quickly.

Interview Question – Answering repeated questions about how you deal with challenging situations and if you felt you could handle the job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary, job very specific (not able to explore broader interests)

Energy Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in March 2008.

Interview Details – Applied using USA Jobs. I was contacted by deputy director of the Office of Energy Market Regulation East shortly after that by phone. Had two phone interviews. Then, I was flown to Washington, DC for an in-person interview with my future manager, deputy and office director. I was offered a position with a week.

Interview Question – Describe a situation dealing with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The federal government has a limited ability to negotiate in the hiring process. However, I was given credit for several years of previous work experience in the leave system - this was a valuable benefit in my early years here.

Attorney Interview

Attorney
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in January 2008.

Interview Details – 3 interviews back to back. One with staff attorney, one director, and last, deputy general counsel.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Engineering Technician, Office of Electric Reliability Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in May 2011.

Interview Details – For internship positions, it is easiest to have an internal employee referral. Also, the office within FERC which you are interested in must have a position available. Since I had an employee referral, my interview was pretty easy. It was a phone interview- they asked me what I knew about power (the more the better of course) and why I wanted to work at FERC. Also, saying that a full-time position at FERC is something you are very interested in helps a lot.

Interview Questions

• What do you know, or what experience do you have with 3-phase power?   View Answer
  • Why do you want to work at FERC?   View Answer

Economist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

Interview Details – I had someone call to set up an interview by phone. Then I was interviewed by phone. Then I was asked to come in to the office. Then I was extended an offer.

Interview Question – I cannot recall anything off the wall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was explained what I was being offered, then an offer was extended by phone.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Federal Energy Regulatory Commission? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Federal Energy Regulatory Commission employees and interview candidates.