Federal Government Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014

2.8

Material Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Federal Government.

HIRED THORUGH RECRUITER, ASKEN QUESTIONS ON BACKGROUND, DRUG USE, WHAT TYPE OF JOB LOOKING FOR.We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

GOT ORDERS

Senior Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Federal Government in April 2014.

Panel interview provided insight on role and function of the organization. Discussed organizational structure and relationship. I was asked what I knew of the organization specifically any recent actiies etc. Worked off a specific list of questions for me to answer. Then allowed me time to ask questions that I had.

None

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Federal Government in July 2010.

A successful phone screening is followed by an in person panel interview.. Questions geared to learn how a candidate might react or respond to on the job circumstances and challenges. Also to access skills for interpreting and applying complex policies and procedure and being able to explain to internal and external customers.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked how you would deal with a specific hypothetical issue or situation can be very tricky if one you have not had that exact experience.   View Answer
    • Some questions are role playing with specific questions about a specific complex and technical question. You are asked to provide an answer, citing agency verbiage that supports your answer.   View Answer
    • Having considered computers, software, and programming as being "technical", it took me aback when it was used in terms that dealt with questions that were geared toward how to answer or handle customer oriented issues. In government agencies. there are many policies and procedures that impact the lives, livelihood, and safety of the public being served.   View Answer
    Federal Government employment, salaries are based based on prior experience detailed in the resume and the supplemental questionnaire, This must be supported in your resume and supplemental questionnaire. Your resume must demonstrate accomplishments and the percentage of time savings and or monetary savings realized by the your job, department, and or agency as a result your accomplishments. Mentioning awards received helps support your claim.

Web Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question
    Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

The hiring process varies depending on which federal agency or department you work for--and if you have prior government or military experience. USA JOBS the portal / website where all federal opportunities are posted. Although specific organizations also post jobs on their specific websites. Be aware of the window for the application. And also note your application is flagged if either you are too senior or too junior for a position.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Government.

Very grueling. The interview was short and sweet. the initial paperwork and battery of tests took about 8+ hours per day for 3-4 days. Then you get sworn in and issued a badge. Back ground check took weeks. classroom training took about a week and on the job training took several months. Then you get to bid as the lowest seniority person for a shift (Maybe only part time) , and for your days off and work area.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question in the interview.   View Answer
    no. Everything is regulated by the Government, and written in stone.

Loan Officer/Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Government in December 2012.

The interview was very easy. As long as your resume is exactly what they are looking for. They screen your resume for experience first and If they like what they see you shall receive a phone call for a one on one interview to make sure you truely are qualified for this position. usually they tend to hire around tornado seasons.

Interview Questions
    • Do not have any school debt that is in default nor any other federal debt that is in default or you will not be considered for any of these positions.   Answer Question
    There was negotiations based on what ranking you would hold. Which would be a gs-9 or Gs-11.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Government in April 2012.

USAJOBS, interview, waiting, security clearance, lots of waiting, little interaction from HR, drug test was easy to find, security clearance process is very long. Interview questions where very weak and did not really tell much about the jobs, interviewees did not seem interested in really finding the best candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the federal comments.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government in September 2010.

Recruiting process, recruiter steps you through the entire process until you're in your job. They even picked you up at home and also took you to the airport. There were tests that were given, to include a 200 multiple choice test, a drug test, and medical test.

Interview Questions
    • Having been in the position for 10+ years and then have to run an entire different program without any formal training.   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Counselor/Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

I found the job online. After searching through several contacts, I luckily found someone that could help me craft a great resume. My best advice is to look into the department you want to work in and find someone already there. Online makes it very easy.

Interview Questions
    • I was hired off my resume and experience. No interview was needed.   Answer Question
    None. It is a pay scale.

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!