Federal Government

Average Difficulty
88 candidate interviews

Web Manager Interview

Web Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview Details – Wouldn't try unless you're a U.S. military veteran. I have zero colleagues who got hired who are not vets. Process is straightforward. Of the vets the highest qualified is hired. All things being equal the highest qualified with what's perceived as a good personality is hired. So stay upbeat and positive during interview.

Interview Question – No surprises. All questions are canned: "Tell me a time when ...." Make sure you resume answers all questions because typically specific skill-related questions are not asked. It's presumed you're qualified if you get an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Based on salary history. If you're a fed transfering there is little negotiation. If you're coming from the outside you might be able to negotiate a few steps, but not grades. Also, do not negotiate work/life until you're on board. Generally, work/life is excellent, so bringing it up during the interview or offer period might impact you getting the job. Or at the very least leave a bad taste in the hiring official's mouht.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview Details – The hiring process varies depending on which federal agency or department you work for--and if you have prior government or military experience. USA JOBS the portal / website where all federal opportunities are posted. Although specific organizations also post jobs on their specific websites. Be aware of the window for the application. And also note your application is flagged if either you are too senior or too junior for a position.

Security Officer Interview

Security Officer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview Details – Very grueling. The interview was short and sweet. the initial paperwork and battery of tests took about 8+ hours per day for 3-4 days. Then you get sworn in and issued a badge. Back ground check took weeks. classroom training took about a week and on the job training took several months. Then you get to bid as the lowest seniority person for a shift (Maybe only part time) , and for your days off and work area.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question in the interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no. Everything is regulated by the Government, and written in stone.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loan Officer/Underwriter Interview

Loan Officer/Underwriter
Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Government in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was very easy. As long as your resume is exactly what they are looking for. They screen your resume for experience first and If they like what they see you shall receive a phone call for a one on one interview to make sure you truely are qualified for this position. usually they tend to hire around tornado seasons.

Interview Question – Do not have any school debt that is in default nor any other federal debt that is in default or you will not be considered for any of these positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was negotiations based on what ranking you would hold. Which would be a gs-9 or Gs-11.

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Government in April 2012.

Interview Details – USAJOBS, interview, waiting, security clearance, lots of waiting, little interaction from HR, drug test was easy to find, security clearance process is very long. Interview questions where very weak and did not really tell much about the jobs, interviewees did not seem interested in really finding the best candidate.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the federal comments.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government in September 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiting process, recruiter steps you through the entire process until you're in your job. They even picked you up at home and also took you to the airport. There were tests that were given, to include a 200 multiple choice test, a drug test, and medical test.

Interview Question – Having been in the position for 10+ years and then have to run an entire different program without any formal training.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating

Very Easy Interview

Counselor/Instructor Interview

Counselor/Instructor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Government.

Interview Details – I found the job online. After searching through several contacts, I luckily found someone that could help me craft a great resume. My best advice is to look into the department you want to work in and find someone already there. Online makes it very easy.

Interview Question – I was hired off my resume and experience. No interview was needed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. It is a pay scale.

AS2 Interview

AS2
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Federal Government in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was extremely long, the testing wasn't really relevant to the job itself. They did have some very good questions and they seem to appreciate my experience. They also were very helpful of answering the questions that I was bringing to the table

Interview Question – The interviewer got off topic and we were interrupted by a fire drill   Answer Question

Federal Career Intern Interview

Federal Career Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Federal Government in January 2010.

Interview Details – Panel Interview with Division Leaders

Interview Question – How do you handle adversity in the workplace   View Answer

Procurement Technician Interview

Procurement Technician
New Orleans, LA

Interview Details – Be open, polite and yourself. Be honest.

Negotiation Details – Salary is pre-set in government.

Worked for Federal Government? Contribute to the Community!