Federal Government Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

2.9

Secretary (OA) Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government in March 2015.

Timely process. Submitted my package around the end of Jan 2015. Notified by mail probably 2-3 wks later that my package had been received. March 2015 I was notified by email for an interview the following day. Upon entrance noticed two individuals that would conduct the interview. They proceeded to introduce themselves followed by a description of the job for which I was interviewing. Following the description they proceeded to ask question from a 3-4 page packet, alternating after each question. Concluding questions asked, I had the opportunity to ask questions as well. Tentative offer the same day (background check ect..) Formal offer 2 wks later.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario based. Customer service "how would you...?" "Tell me a time when...." Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Government in May 2014.

Applied to USAjobs.gov, waited about 2 weeks, was called for phone interview, waited another 2 weeks, received offer, submitted resignation, completed online forms for background check and was hired all under about 50 days.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you were up against several deadlines at once.   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Federal Government in November 2012.

multiple interviews and reviews of my work history, security background, security information to include updated security processing and background checks. Interviewers were intelligent and experienced professionals who understood the terms and concepts I discussed

not really a negotiation

Civil Servant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government.

long and drawn out process. Alot of the questions asked are about your background and how it applies to the job in the federal gov. standard sort of thing. but the qualifications they seem to want have little to do with the actual work you'll do.

Interview Questions
    • background mostly and how it applies to working in an office   Answer Question

Criminal Investigator Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Federal Government.

The interview process consist of questions asked by senior federal agents and management. The interview questions can't be disclosed as we all had to sign a agreement stating that we would not talk about the questions.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Government in November 2013.

I applied through USAjobs and did not anticipate a call-back. I received one and had a 15 minute interview with my future supervisor. It was great; we clicked automatically and I ended getting an offer. The key for these interviews is expressing a lot of enthusiasm. I absolutely knew I wanted to work at this office and laid it all out there. If you interview for the agency I interviewed for, that is the absolute key.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked in a team to organize an event or solve a problem   Answer Question

Senior Paralegal Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Government in June 2014.

Hiring process took 4 months after applying. Lots of patience required since getting updates was an uphill battle against a behemoth bureaucracy. The status on USAJobs is not reliable. I've been on the job for 4 months and the status still shows that nobody is hired yet. Be prepared for more waiting after the interview.

Federal Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through other source – interviewed at Federal Government.

Experience in problem resolution, confident, verbal, intelligent, knowledge of the rules of how the games are played and how to work with them and when to challenge them. Ability to edit form that are to be submitted to the public, eg: in error message above "atleast" should be "at least".

Program Manager Interview

It was a long process between submitting application, communcication on status, interview and hiring. Five person interview team with each person asking a different question in succession. Technical and EEO participants.

long

Network Administrator/Project Management Interview

In accordance with 5 CFR 338, this site contains policy established by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for General Schedule (GS) (or equivalent) white collar occupations in the Federal Government. This information is primarily for Federal agencies that need to determine whether applicants meet the minimum requirements for the positions being filled.
    Qualification standards are intended to identify applicants who are likely to perform successfully on the job, and to screen out those who are unlikely to do so. The standards are not designed to rank candidates, identify the best qualified applicants for particular positions, or otherwise substitute for a careful analysis of the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities.
    You may locate specific topics regarding qualifications policy by clicking on "General Policies" in the second tab. "General Policies" contain the following information