Federal Public Defenders Interview Questions

1.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Federal Public Defenders

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Columbus, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online with a cover letter, references per their instructions after seeing the position online and went to their website. I received an email from the secretary about 1 month later inviting me to come in for an interview with a choice of one of two days and to return the application. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 attorneys, an administrative officer and two paralegals from a different office on the phone.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the technologies I used? Have I ever used Trialdirector at trial?   1 Answer
    • They also asked me how I would put together a process for the three offices of the Southern District   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Jackson, MS) in May 2013.

Interview

This was through an outside source and not from within the Defender's area. Also, this was an internship so there was no interview merely a cover letter stating why you wanted to be there.

Research and Writing Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Sacramento, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview was very casual. Met with the head of the department I would be working, and she asked about my previous experience at a county PD. She also asked me about the details of my writing sample which I had sent in, asking for more details, why I chose it as my writing sample, and how the motion was resolved. I asked her about what kind of cases I would be working on, what subject matter I would see the most, and what possibilities I would have to get some experience outside of just research and writing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected. If anything, I was surprised at how simply the interview process ended up being. However, from what I gathered, the writing sample was extremely important, given the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an unpaid position.