Federal Reserve Bank (NY) Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

FISG Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone screening by HR to make sure I speak clearly/concisely, along with basic behavioral questions. Within 30 minutes of me hanging up, she scheduled me for an in person interview; 2 people at the same time (VP & senior associate), 1 hour total. Mostly a behavioral interview, but did ask some technical questions about software I was familiar with and if I was able to come up with macros and lightly program. No offer.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume?
      Describe a time you improved operational processes at your current job.
      Why the Fed?
      Biggest challenge(s), shortcomings, strengths
      How do you use iterative data to come up with meaningful results?

Answer Question

FISG Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

I applied for a position and was granted an interview. While I didn't get the job, the interviewers had good feedback, which prompted HR to set me up on 3 additional interviews. The position was for a specific job within the graduate internship program.

Interview Questions

• Your basic questions about why do you want to work at the bank, discussions of skills as it pertains to the particular internship.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online. I got an offer for a phone interview (30 min) with the two people who turned out be my managers within a few weeks. A week later, I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview in NY. My in-person interview was 1 hr long with the same two people. Within another week, I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• All my questions were easy behavioral questions focused on my resume.   Answer Question

Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

Mostly fit and behavior questions.."tell me about a time you failed". Quite a few queries about resume. Some questions were repeated several times. Interview lasted several hours. Interviewers were friendly and some handed out business cards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The whole process took about 3 weeks. The interviewers asked basic questions such as the reasons for applying this position, my interest in economics, my previous research experience, etc. There were also a few questions that require some understanding of econometrics. All the questions were pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what will happen to the OLS estimators when the dependent/independent variables become noisy (without introducing unbiasedness).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

Interviewed at the New York Federal Reserve-Process took three days
    The first interview was a phone interview, then they asked me to come in and meet with four managers from the department. No difficult questions, mostly all behavioral.
    I applied through the Federal Reserve website and got a cll a few days later.

Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interview

The interview process was perfunctory. Some of the hiring managers couldn't be bothered to look away from their PC screens. Others were engaging. You will probably not end up working with anyone that interviews you. They will p lace you in a general pool from which you will be picked.

Application

Interview

Applied online, one on-site interview. Interviewed with 2 economists or 2 RA's at a time, rotated through several pairs for each group. Questions asked about previous research experience and familiarity with econometrics and programming.

Interview Questions

• What are the Gauss-Markov assumptions, and give an intuition for how relaxing each assumption affects your estimate.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

Not too comprehensive, focusing on what you have done. Be able to communicate what you know and what you want to know. Show interest in monetary policy. Do not be scared to ask questions that make sense.

Interview Questions

• What was the least sound part of your past research projects?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

On campus recruitment, followed by a phone interview and then a skype call with some of the economists regarding specific projects. Be prepared to thoroughly discuss your research, although it really depends on who you interview with and the projects they are working on. HR is usually very slow in determining interview schedule and whether you were selected for a final round, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything from them after a week or two.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research experience, academic background, interests in specific division, etc.   Answer Question