Federal Reserve Bank (NY) Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.9

FISG Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

I applied for a position and was granted an interview. While I didn't get the job, the interviewers had good feedback, which prompted HR to set me up on 3 additional interviews. The position was for a specific job within the graduate internship program.

Interview Questions
    • Your basic questions about why do you want to work at the bank, discussions of skills as it pertains to the particular internship.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. I got an offer for a phone interview (30 min) with the two people who turned out be my managers within a few weeks. A week later, I was contacted to schedule an in-person interview in NY. My in-person interview was 1 hr long with the same two people. Within another week, I had an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All my questions were easy behavioral questions focused on my resume.   Answer Question

Bank Examiner Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Mostly fit and behavior questions.."tell me about a time you failed". Quite a few queries about resume. Some questions were repeated several times. Interview lasted several hours. Interviewers were friendly and some handed out business cards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) in November 2014.

The whole process took about 3 weeks. The interviewers asked basic questions such as the reasons for applying this position, my interest in economics, my previous research experience, etc. There were also a few questions that require some understanding of econometrics. All the questions were pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what will happen to the OLS estimators when the dependent/independent variables become noisy (without introducing unbiasedness).   Answer Question

Statistical Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

Interviewed at the New York Federal Reserve-Process took three days
    The first interview was a phone interview, then they asked me to come in and meet with four managers from the department. No difficult questions, mostly all behavioral.
    I applied through the Federal Reserve website and got a cll a few days later.

Bank Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY).

The interview process was perfunctory. Some of the hiring managers couldn't be bothered to look away from their PC screens. Others were engaging. You will probably not end up working with anyone that interviews you. They will p lace you in a general pool from which you will be picked.

Research Analyst Interview

Applied online, one on-site interview. Interviewed with 2 economists or 2 RA's at a time, rotated through several pairs for each group. Questions asked about previous research experience and familiarity with econometrics and programming.

Interview Questions
    • What are the Gauss-Markov assumptions, and give an intuition for how relaxing each assumption affects your estimate.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Not too comprehensive, focusing on what you have done. Be able to communicate what you know and what you want to know. Show interest in monetary policy. Do not be scared to ask questions that make sense.

Interview Questions
    • What was the least sound part of your past research projects?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank (NY) in February 2014.

On campus recruitment, followed by a phone interview and then a skype call with some of the economists regarding specific projects. Be prepared to thoroughly discuss your research, although it really depends on who you interview with and the projects they are working on. HR is usually very slow in determining interview schedule and whether you were selected for a final round, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything from them after a week or two.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your research experience, academic background, interests in specific division, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Applied through a recruiter, received a call back within the next 4 weeks to set up a phone interview. Planned an in person interview a week later.