Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago

Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Interview

I applied online, received an email and set up a phone interview with an HR representative. The interview lasted about 15 minutes. The interviewer asked a set of questions that seemed to have been prepared beforehand and he seemed to stick to his script. I had some time to ask questions at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions: Why do you want to work for Fed? Etc.   Answer Question

ER Associate Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

About a month after submitting my cover letter, resume, writing samples, etc. I was contacted by their HR department to set up a 30-min phone interview with the hiring manager. The questions were straight forward mainly focusing on my interest in economics and research. Exactly two weeks after, they emailed me to tell me they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. I interviewed with 15 people, but they were mostly in pairs. The whole interview process lasted 6-7 hours with a lunch break in the middle. Since this is a research assistant job for recent grads who are looking to go to graduate school, they simply want to know if you can perform academic research. I was asked to describe my dissertation, experiences writing research papers, and experiences with statistical packages such as Stata and Matlab. For the most part, there were no technical questions; however, one group asked me to look at a data merging exercise and asked me how I would combine two different data sets and what points I should be aware of. Also, one group of economists grilled me on data management and econometrics (see question 3 below). Overall, the experience was pleasant; you basically have to know your economics and for extra points, be able to refer to literature and current research. If you don't receive an offer, you will not hear from them. Most of the economists liked me and I demonstrated interest, but I did not receive an offer because my undergraduate grades were terrible. So children of academia, grades are important!

Interview Questions

• 1. Why are you interested in economics?
      2. Tell me about your research paper.
      3. I give you a data set and you did all the statistical tests to determine the kind of process. You come back to me and tell me it is non-stationary. I look at it and tell you that doesn't seem right. What would you do? What methods would you use to be absolutely sure its non-stationary?
      4. What are you future plans and career path?

Answer Question

Supervision Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Interview

Contacted for phone screener, then a second telephone screener a month later and an in person interview approximately one month later. All in all the interview was based primarily on a form of required questions. It seems that luck played too much of a role.

Interview Questions

• Everything was basically by the book. Questions were not unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Lots of applicants, at the time not a lot of room to negotiate.

Associate Auditor Interview

Interview

Started eith phone interview, then an in person interview with two individuals (one auditor and one manager). Had a third interview with a more senior manager followed by a written assessment.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a short phone call (about 15-20 mins) with very standard interview questions. But the process went on for a long time, it took a long time for them to ever contact me. One I was finally contacted about my resume it still took a while to get all the necessary security documents, fingerprints taken, and drug test evaluated. Once the job was accepted it was about 3 weeks for that process before I could actually start.

Interview Questions

• What is some of the course work you have done that would apply to the position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

For the internship I was not able to negotiate, but I was allowed to choose my own hours with a max of 40 per week. The pay was good for an internship, so I stayed 40 every week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online then received a phone call to set up a phone screen. After the phone screen, there was an in person interview with two individuals (a member of HR and my now-boss). Most communication was done through email- the longest part was waiting for the background check and drug screen results to go through.

Interview Questions

• When working in a team environment, what has been your biggest weakness? How do you deal with it?   Answer Question

Check Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Detroit, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

It was very professional and went very well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was not none

Facilities Interview

Interview

Submitted online app and got a call 4 months later

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Interview

Fairly detailed. Went through two pre-screens and two separate panel interviews

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about handling risk and working with people   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Pretty easy interviewing process. Applied online and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. One round, 50 min interview with the manager of the group and the group lead, who were very nice and warm throughout the interview. Mostly behavioral questions, the most technical that it got were questions about my work experience, but no questions that didn't come straight from my resume.