Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago

Updated Aug 8, 2014
Updated Aug 8, 2014

2.8

Supervision Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Contacted for phone screener, then a second telephone screener a month later and an in person interview approximately one month later. All in all the interview was based primarily on a form of required questions. It seems that luck played too much of a role.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was basically by the book. Questions were not unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question
    Lots of applicants, at the time not a lot of room to negotiate.

Associate Auditor Interview

Started eith phone interview, then an in person interview with two individuals (one auditor and one manager). Had a third interview with a more senior manager followed by a written assessment.

Check Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in February 2014.

It was very professional and went very well.

It was not none

Facilities Interview

Submitted online app and got a call 4 months later

N/A Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Fairly detailed. Went through two pre-screens and two separate panel interviews

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about handling risk and working with people   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Pretty easy interviewing process. Applied online and was contacted for an interview about 2 weeks later. One round, 50 min interview with the manager of the group and the group lead, who were very nice and warm throughout the interview. Mostly behavioral questions, the most technical that it got were questions about my work experience, but no questions that didn't come straight from my resume.

Cannot Disclose Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

I applied online. Recruiter called me about a month later and told me I had the qualifications they were looking for. I had a brief follow-up binterview with the recruiter a week later. The recruiter gave me a date range for in-person interviews and told me to be available. Two weeks after that I was formally invited to an in-person interview.

Interview consisted of the following:
    1) 45 minute essay writing sample.
    2) then 45 minute meetings with different groups. One of the groups was the recruiter by himself.

Interview was typical behavior style questions. They basically want to make sure you will work well with the existing group/new hires. The only issue was during my interviews, the one with the recruiter (the same one that told me I had all the qualifications and gave me the "wink and nod" about the formal interviews) decided he was going to start vetting candidates right then and there.

Recruiter questions:
    1) "You don't have an MBA, but have been out of school awhile. Why didn't you go back and get it or are you planning on getting it? I answered that I would be interested in getting one, but my number one priority would be my job responsibilities and if an MBA was required, then yes I would absolutely pursue one after hours. The recruiter made a weird face and said something along the lines of he's surprised I applied without one. I believe it was an ego play by the recruiter.
    2) "Tell me about a challenge you have overcome." I explained a situation where I was given a problem to fix with no knowledge of what was happening by my employer other then "something is happening down there". I explained how it was a "fire drill" and I organized the task, raised a team, and overcame the challenge while establishing procedures to prevent it from happening again in the future. Recruiter then started asking very pointed questions such as, "Why would you take a project without knowing what is wrong? How is that possible?", "Why would you want to work for a company that doesn't tell you anything?" The recruiter was pretty tasteless and I did not want to trash talk my current employer, so I had to play my accomplishment down.

In summation, I really enjoyed the people I interviewed with except for the recruiter. I believe the recruiter treated me as a "filler spot" to show he was looking for candidates. When the recruiter called me to inform me I was not selected, he told me I didn't really have much experience for the position anyway. I don't see why a professional recruiter would use someone like this or take an "I'm better then you" approach.

Associate Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in February 2013.

A short (~30 minutes) phone interview a couple weeks after submitting my application. A couple weeks after that I was invited to come in an interview in person. There were 4-5 ~30 minute interviews with an economist or a pair of economists from various groups, as well as one interview with a pair of associate economists. They mostly wanted to know about past research experiences, experience with statistical software, and classes, roughly in that order.

Total Rewards Team Lead - HRIT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in February 2013.

I was called about 6:30 PM in regards to setting up a phone interview two weeks later. On the date of the phone interview, the recruiter called me at the wrong time (a sign this would go badly). She asked me to describe me background and as I was speaking, I seemed to be boring her and she let out a HUGE sigh into the phone. She then rudely interrupted me and told me I wasnt what they were looking for - even though they contacted me. Horrible experience; would never look twice at this company.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - but because of the rude recruiter who I spoke with, the one question I was asked wasn't clear.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

Entire process from application to start date took about three months. One-on-one interviews were loose, at times almost feeling like they were pitching to me rather than the other way around. Questions meandered, but held themes of process and critical thinking rather than empty accomplishments. Interviewers showed genuine interest in understanding my story, turning what could be difficult questions into a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • In retrospect, it should have been obvious, but "Why the Fed?" Despite bombing it, the interest I showed helped.   Answer Question
    Was not in a position to negotiate.

Worked for Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago? Contribute to the Community!