Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

3.5

Facilities Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Exceedingly long drawn out process hampered not by security demands but by bureaucratic inefficiencies and poor communication between layers of management. Decisions to move forward with the hiring process, putting it on hold, then deciding to move forward again, then cancelling the desire to fill the position altogether. Five months of indecision in my case. Beware the length of time required to gain employment here, ask your interviewer for a definite time frame for start date.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to accomplish here in the next five years?   View Answer

Feared working for indecisive management.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Being offered an intern position at the Federal Reserve is very competitive. Close to 100 applicants for each intern position and the interview process is very thorough. There were three rounds of interviews. Phone interview was mostly behavioral questions i.e. "Tell me a time you....." the second and third interview were more technical and consisted of leadership within the department you would be working with upon receiving an offer. All the employees and human resources staff were very polite. Just be ready to put yourself out there and let them know you are the best for the job.

Also, because there were so many applicants don't expect for the hiring process to be quick... took a month or two to get the offer from the initial application submission.

Interview Questions
    • There's no way you can prepare for each behavioral question that is going to be asked - there's too many scenarios. Just be prepared to think on your feet and be confident in your answers.   Answer Question

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in June 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Judge Group, who arranged the initial phone screen. The phone screen was a little more than two hours long, and the interview had a list of about 100 questions, all purely technical memorization. They didn't check problem-solving skills, but basically just memorization of syntax. I thought it was a bit ridiculous really, because if you don't have just about everything memorized, don't expect to pass. A fast Googler could ace the interview if they were able to keep the keyboard/mouse clicks silent. It was not based on comprehension but really mostly just memorization of syntax, commands, keywords, etc. I was surprised that this was how they filter out interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most common test pattern?. This is mostly common sense for a good developer (which I consider myself to be) and I know how to write rock-solid unit test methods, and I've seen this "pattern" written in different ways, but this is one question I got wrong. It's like asking someone the name of the knot used to tie a knot in pair of shoes. Most people know how to tie a pair of shoes, but who really remembers the name of the knot?   View Answer
    • What key do you press to Step Over? Step Into? Toggle?   View Answer
    • What are the four phases in the Agile model?   View Answer
    • Syntax for SQL group by   View Answer

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Interview process was very thorough. There were four different sets of interviews that I had to complete. It was nice to have that oppertunity because it allows you to interact with people who you will be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Alot of the questions they asked started off with the following phrase, "Tell me about a time...". This really made me think hard and it was a good oppertunity to give true life examples that show what they were looking for.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Extensive

Normal

Facility Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Very disorganized, extremely little communication between departments. Mid level management was talented and engaged. Senior level managers were ill informed and based decisions on rumor and hearsay.

Interview Questions
    • Where would you see yourself within this organization in ten years?   Answer Question

The response time was ridiculous, took months for any feedback or decisions to get made.

Management Development Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in March 2013.

Applied online, received an email for a phone screen a few weeks later. Phone interview was basic questions regarding leadership style and self-identified areas for improvement. Was told I"d hear back within a week, followed up and was told I'd hear back within a month, haven't heard back since. Interview was very stiff and clearly just writing down answers as opposed to treating the interview like a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • What technical skill do you believe needs the most improvement?   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

I did a phone interview that led to a one on one interview about a week or so later. Then I didn't hear a word for over a month. Suddenly they called and wanted a second interview, which wasn't really an interview at all but a "meet everyone on the team" kind of thing. I expected an offer before I left, but didn't hear back until the next week when they told me I was a "Finalist" but they needed to check my references. After a week of that I finally received an offer that was below what I told them my range was initially. I was quite let down, but negotiated with them only to be rebuffed twice as far as any increase was concerned. I only was able to discuss salary with the HR rep, not the hiring manager. I ultimately turned it down since the reasons HR gave for the salary offer screamed of the type of place where you can't really expect to ever get appropriate merit increases either. Some things go without saying. Besides, I had two better offers on the table. I wanted to go with The Fed based on the whole package, but the salary issue was a deal-breaker.

Interview Questions
    • "What kind of fruit would you be?" I'm still not sure what to make of that one.   Answer Question

Procurement Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in April 2012.

The Federal Reserve reached out to me. I was not actively looking for employment. I went through approximately five interviews. One on one; then panel, then senior level management.

Interview Questions
    • Areas where I need improvement ... but, an easy answer to provide.   View Answer
    Don't be nervous. Be honest and ethical. Answer the best you possibly can. Prepare before the interview.

Senior Computer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in March 2012.

There was a lengthy technical phone interview. From what I understand it is difficult to make it past this initial interview but I made it to the in-person interview. As I was getting ready to go upstairs my recruiter informed me she had never had any one get an offer. I understood why after the interview had completed. It consisted of over 2 hours of technical questions covering a number of technologies, problem solving, diagramming, and an essay test at the end. This was followed by a 30 - 45 minute interview with the hiring manager. I normally get an offer when I interview but did not receive one. I honestly don't think the guys interviewing me could have gotten offer from their own interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked technical questions about subjects that were not on my resume and I had no experience with. There were questions about EJB3, which I had to answer I had never used. The hiring manager told me I was marked down for those type of answers.   Answer Question