Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.9

Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

First step: 30 minute phone interview with the head of the economic research department and current RAs. Pretty easy going with expected questions like "Tell us about yourself", "Tell us about your research experience", "Tell us about your thesis", "Which statistical software packages are you experienced with", "Why do you want to work at the Fed".

Second step: On-site interviews at the Fed with 5 Economists (30 minutes each). 3 of the 5 economists were completely unprepared for the interview. They didn't have a look at my resume or any other documents I had to submit (writing sample, references etc.). Consequently, the interviews were pretty weird with me basically pushing the conversation and asking about their research and about their way of working with RAs etc. Their communication skills were not at the level I expected them to be for people working as economists at the Fed. The economists are looking for certain skills in an RA (e.g. VAR) to support them with their research. After telling one of the economists that I didn't have experience with VAR (which I already mentioned during the phone interview), the economist was trying to end the interview pretty straight forward because he was obviously not interested in me anymore. Another economist was very surprised that I knew the meaning of DSGE, although I mentioned my modeling experience within my cover letter and even submitted a research paper where I used DSGE modeling.

If you are right out of college and want an easy-going 9 to 5 job and go back to grad school after 2 years that might be the right job for you. If you have higher ambitions you should look into something else. I definitely felt that I was overqualified for the job and I was pretty disappointed about the lack of interest and preparation of some of the economists I was interviewing with.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience with VAR, Matlab, Mathematica, Dynare etc.?   Answer Question

I felt that I was overqualified for the position and the economists didn't leave a good impression.

Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in December 2014.

The process is very lengthy and thorough. It consists of a detailed online application and an on-campus interview. If they are interested, they invite you to spend a day at their facility, during which you are interviewed by managers from three different departments. If they are satisfied with your performance in these interviews, you are called in for a final interview, after which an offer is made.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for an example of how I performed under stress.   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in November 2014.

A phone interview with a manager followed by an in-person interview with two supervisors who you will work directly under. The phone interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and the interviewer called at the exact time they said they would. The in-person interview was scheduled for 2 or 3 days later at a mutually convenient time.

Software Engineer Interview

The hiring process is a little bit confusing for this company. It has connections with private recruiters and looks like the only way to get into it is via a recruiter. Interview process takes 2-3 weeks. The interviewers does not seem to have hands on knowledge. They only have some theoretical questions. Overall I am not very optimistic about this company. It does not seem to be a good fit for a software engineer who seeks rapid development with advanced technology.

Customer Service Interview

Focus was on customer service scenarios

no negotiating

Analyst I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

Very behavioral type questions -- "tell me about a time when.." Nothing really unexpected. Make sure you know about the position and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Phone interview followed by going to KC HQ for 2 additional interviews and a panel. There is a final interview with management.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions -- come in with good, solid examples ready   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in January 2014.

Applied online. Received phone call to schedule a conference interview within 10 days after the application deadline. Interviewed by three assistant vice presidents for about 25 minutes. Received requests for additional information from HR two days after the interview.

Senior Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in July 2013.

Had an initial HR interview, which asked some technical questions, then another phone interview that was completely technical, and then on-site interview which again had 1 hour technical interview followed by manager round. They gave little input to the recruiter so I had little clue on what to expect for on site interview.

Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

Completed and online application along with my cover letter and resume. Got through that process and was invited to interview with a HR rep on campus a few weeks later. Got through that phase and was intvited to interview in Kansas City. In-house interview consisted of two 1-on-1 interviews with executives. Everyone was nice. Was emailed a week later requested a final phone interview.

Financial Analyst Interview

On campus interview

Interview Questions
    • This job description is very ambiguous, and you can't target a specific position. The position is not what I was looking for.   Answer Question