Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Project Manager Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1st phone interview, including salary expectations.
2nd on site with hiring manager and HM's peer.
Rigorous physical security - makes airports seem tame.
After they explained the corporate org structure, Standard behavioral questions.

Interview Question – How would your superiors describe you? followed by how would your subordinates describe you?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Continuity Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

Interview Details – It all happened very quickly. I got a phone call from HR to schedule an interview, had the interview the next week, and got the offer two days later. The interview questions were all straight forward and just wanted to make sure that I was a normal human being.

Interview Question – There weren't any particularly difficult or unexpected questions as far as I can recall.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in March 2013.

Interview Details – My interview experience was positive and fairly straightforward. For candidates applying out of state, interviews will be conducted via phone call. I received one 3-way conference call with a Research Associate and Economist, who proceeded to ask me detailed questions about my past research. I received a phone call a week later from HR with an offer.

Interview Question – What was the most surprising part of your research?   Answer Question

Executive Support Staff Assistant for the Charlotte Branch Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

Interview Details – In July of 2007, I was brought in for an interview for the position of Executive Support Staff Assistant for the Charlotte branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond. To this day two things still stand out from the interview:

1) I met with a very unique individual that was very open and honest with me. That individual told me that I was a great fit for the position and the most qualified candidate that person had seen. Nonetheless, I would never be hired. I would not fit into the culture "and you can guess why", that person told me. When I told that person that it was because I am Cuban (a minority), that person agreed and then told me that not only because I am a minority, but because I am also gay. I would not be hired.

2) I met with what I was told was the head of the Charlotte branch. To this day I am still floored by the minority based questions that he asked and by his lack of respect. I have a feeling that he thought that I could barely speak English! Yet there I was with four languages under my belt. He was out of touch with reality. Not long after that, I had him unceremoniously 'retired' from the bank.

If these racist fools knew who I am and what I do for this government I have a feeling that they would have treated me much differently and with an ounce of respect. However, I am glad that this happened and that I got a chance to see what the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond's Charlotte branch was really all about and the toxic environment that they maintain in order to promote the good 'ole boys club. As a current employee posted on their GlassDoor review: "Diversity is inexistent (law enforcement and cleaning services are where the blacks work in Charlotte)"

Interview Question – How would you fit into our culture?   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in October 2011.

Interview Details – HR organization does not really seem to know what they want (or at least some members). In the end, they did not choose any candidates and then went out again several months later with the same posting. Unfortunately, they decided this after spending time for 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

Intern Interview

Intern
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by three individuals at my university. They were very organized and created a relaxed and comfortable environment for me. I was offered the internship at the end of the interview but had to wait a few weeks to receive a formal offer and paperwork.

Interview Question – What is one of the biggest challenges you've been faced with in a working environment?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in October 2010.

Interview Details – Started great, the campus recruiter was very great at keeping in touch. She referred me and I was able to get an interview for a summer internship.

Interview Question – How would you define leadership?   Answer Question

Sourcing Interview

Richmond, VA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in June 2009.

Interview Details – Long and detailed. It started with a phone screen with HR. Then an interview with HR and a Sourcing manager. Then an interview of potential peers with about 6 or 7 of them taking turns asking questions. Finally, an interview with a senior executive. All along the way there were many delays making the process very long. They seemed like good people but be prepared for a very long wait to get an answer.

As far as the interview questions, most of the questions were behaviorally oriented, i.e., tell me about a time when...

Interview Question – It says here on your resume that you search for ways to innovate. Give me 2 examples.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in August 2011.

Interview Details – Spoke with a PhD economist over the telephone for first round. Lasted between an hour and an hour and a half. Was asked about interest in the Fed, in RA role, and about relevant coursework. Quizzed on micro (intermediate price theory). They offered more information on the role: it's partly supporting policy prep, partly research in macro and banking. They're seeking people who plan to start econ graduate study after a couple years. Ideal for someone looking to do a doctorate, not ideal for someone uncommitted to an academic career path.

Interview Question – Work through a given constrained optimization problem and comment on each step.   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in April 2010.

Interview Details – be ready to discuss your skills and past work experience. I had to research things before the interview. they will try to confuse you but you have to be ready for the not expected.

Interview Question – what is your strengths?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond employees and interview candidates.