Federal Reserve Board

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

2.3

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in October 2014.

Really easy and comfortable interview process. First you meet with a HR representative then they will discuss the benefits and schedule for the day. Then you meet with each of the research groups that want to interview you. They will tell you about what they do and then ask about your previous research or class experience.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me more about the results you got from this research project? (aka just know what you have previously worked on and be able to explain it)   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

I applied via the online career page. I was contacted shortly after and did a phone screen with the recruiter. I then had a 30min phone screen with some of the office managers. After a week or so, I was called back to do an in-person interview which took almost 2 hours. After that, I was asked to come back again to meet the Director. I had an offer a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    Yes; asked for 2,000 more (annually) and it was accepted.

Financial Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

I started the interview process when I met with a recruiter at a college career fair. From there he passed along my resume to his hiring managers who decided they wanted to schedule an interview. The first round was about 30 minutes mostly questions about my basic Economic/Financial knowledge and standard interview questions. A few weeks later I was called back for an in person interview. They flew me to D.C. and I was interviewed for about 3 hours by an officer and a hiring manager. The questions ranged from personal/professional/educational triumphs and struggles, to specific Financial and Economic Questions. I was also asked about my work and internship experience along with some behavioral questions to get a feel for my thought process. The entire process took about 3 months from first contact to offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the task to analyze charts with unspecified data. There was no right or wrong answer. I was asked to look at the chart and report back what I saw and what I thought was noteworthy. This was difficult because as a recent college grad I was very much accustomed to detailed prompts or cut and dry answers (for example math problems or economic research papers).   Answer Question

Information Systems Analyst Interview

Applied online and underwent a phone interview. Was flown into DC and put up overnight for the interview. Had an early morning interview with three people in the department after a brief meeting regarding salary expectations.

Attorney Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

Very, very slow. It was a month between when I submitted my resume, the phone interview, and the face-to-face interview. It's hard to do, but be patient. No news is good news b/c it means you're still in the running.

Interviewers want multiple concrete examples of legal analysis, e.g. your taking an issue and applying laws and regulations to solve it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2014.

Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview.

Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation.

Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Questions
    • Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

Very easy and friendly environment more like a conversation.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

I submitted my resume via the Board's website. Resume and recommendations are really important for landing an interview. I was asked to interview with 5 sections. Was asked standard questions about my resume (with a focus on research-related work and programming experience), monetary policy, and what I knew about the sections I was interviewing with.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in November 2013.

Extensive, but worthwhile. Met a lot of people and interviewed with multiple folks.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle presenting negative news, results, or appraisals?   View Answer
    Salary was negotiable within narrow limits, and benefits and PTO are good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in November 2013.

Applied online in late September during the fall RA hiring season. Heard back in late October about coming to D.C. to interview. In the fall hiring season, they don't hire for sections, so instead you have two interviews, each with two economists at the board. They asked simple questions about things on my resume and coursework. I also had lunch with current RAs. I heard back 2 days after interviewing about an offer.

No salary negotiation.