Federal Reserve Board Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.3

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Chaotic--HR rep on vacation, got an assistant or intern. I had to remind her of necessary steps and advocate to get the schedule I needed. Then had difficulty getting through security due to snafu on her end.

Interview Questions

• Just like the federal job process. Very focused on how my experiences would tie in to their department. Scored on each question. I'd say prep based on online application questions and with guidance on federal interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very relaxed. They asked questions regarding my background, research experience, and programming skills. The interviewers were a group of economists who worked in each division. Very conversational and low stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain what your research was about? Why did you do the things you did? Your results?   Answer Question

Senior Space Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

A recruiter from the Board contacted me after finding my resume on Monster and set up an interview. They paid for my travel to DC from New Jersey and a stay overnight in a hotel. I met with an HR recruiter individually and then team members from the Management Division as a group. They looked at my portfolio, asked basic interview questions, talked about benefits, the job role, etc... it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specific questions, as they were very generic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the compensation and benefits they offered, however I was able to increase the salary offer slightly.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got an interview request a few month later (Applied in January and got the interview request in early April). The best way I can describe the interview process is division speed dating. You get a half hour with each division interested in you (I had 6, which I believe is the max). The interviewer are all very friendly and the interview is low stress. Mainly just telling you about what you are doing and then learning a little bit about you beyond the resume. A lot of questions on my research and previous internship experience. Not really any difficult technical questions. Some divisions will afterwards bring in a current RA to talk with you for a couple of minuets about there work and any questions you have. Half way though the day there is a lunch with two current RAs which was a good opportunity to determine if the Board was a culture fit for me. Also, the HR guy is super helpful and can do a very quick turnaround if you have outstanding offers.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied via the online career page. I was contacted shortly after and did a phone screen with the recruiter. I then had a 30min phone screen with some of the office managers. After a week or so, I was called back to do an in-person interview which took almost 2 hours. After that, I was asked to come back again to meet the Director. I had an offer a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with not leading projects?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Yes; asked for 2,000 more (annually) and it was accepted.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in October 2014.

Interview

Really easy and comfortable interview process. First you meet with a HR representative then they will discuss the benefits and schedule for the day. Then you meet with each of the research groups that want to interview you. They will tell you about what they do and then ask about your previous research or class experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me more about the results you got from this research project? (aka just know what you have previously worked on and be able to explain it)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

Interview

I started the interview process when I met with a recruiter at a college career fair. From there he passed along my resume to his hiring managers who decided they wanted to schedule an interview. The first round was about 30 minutes mostly questions about my basic Economic/Financial knowledge and standard interview questions. A few weeks later I was called back for an in person interview. They flew me to D.C. and I was interviewed for about 3 hours by an officer and a hiring manager. The questions ranged from personal/professional/educational triumphs and struggles, to specific Financial and Economic Questions. I was also asked about my work and internship experience along with some behavioral questions to get a feel for my thought process. The entire process took about 3 months from first contact to offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was the task to analyze charts with unspecified data. There was no right or wrong answer. I was asked to look at the chart and report back what I saw and what I thought was noteworthy. This was difficult because as a recent college grad I was very much accustomed to detailed prompts or cut and dry answers (for example math problems or economic research papers).   Answer Question

Information Systems Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online and underwent a phone interview. Was flown into DC and put up overnight for the interview. Had an early morning interview with three people in the department after a brief meeting regarding salary expectations.

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

Interview

Very, very slow. It was a month between when I submitted my resume, the phone interview, and the face-to-face interview. It's hard to do, but be patient. No news is good news b/c it means you're still in the running. Interviewers want multiple concrete examples of legal analysis, e.g. your taking an issue and applying laws and regulations to solve it.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview. Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation. Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Questions

• Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.