Federal Reserve Board Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

2.0

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in October 2014.

Really easy and comfortable interview process. First you meet with a HR representative then they will discuss the benefits and schedule for the day. Then you meet with each of the research groups that want to interview you. They will tell you about what they do and then ask about your previous research or class experience.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me more about the results you got from this research project? (aka just know what you have previously worked on and be able to explain it)   Answer Question
No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Federal Reserve Board

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2014.

Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview.

Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation.

Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Questions
    • Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

I submitted my resume via the Board's website. Resume and recommendations are really important for landing an interview. I was asked to interview with 5 sections. Was asked standard questions about my resume (with a focus on research-related work and programming experience), monetary policy, and what I knew about the sections I was interviewing with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in November 2013.

Applied online in late September during the fall RA hiring season. Heard back in late October about coming to D.C. to interview. In the fall hiring season, they don't hire for sections, so instead you have two interviews, each with two economists at the board. They asked simple questions about things on my resume and coursework. I also had lunch with current RAs. I heard back 2 days after interviewing about an offer.

No salary negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in October 2013.

Filled out the application in early October. Heard back in late October about an in-person interview in Washington DC. The interview was 3 45-minute sessions with two economists each.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very poignant and challenging questions about my research.   View Answer

Other options

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2012.

They have a new interview process now. You interview with a maximum of 6 sections, and each section's interview is 30 minutes total. You meet with an HR person who goes over the benefits and salary, then the interviews start back to back. I had 6 and you have a 1-hour lunch break in the middle with current RAs.

Each of the interviews were the same format - 30 minutes with 10 minutes the economists discussing their section's roles/duties, 10 minutes them asking about your research experience, and 10 minutes questions (usually with current RAs). I was not asked any overly technical nor behavioral, simply discussing my research projects and my experience with statistical software. I would brush up on current events though.

At the end, you rank the sections you liked, and wait for an offer. I received mine via phone a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • What economic models have you learned throughout your courses?   View Answer
    • What statistical softwares are you familiar with? Give some examples of work you've done with those softwares.   View Answer
    Salary is non-negotiable and constant throughout sections.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in April 2010.

I was interviewed on the phone and offered a position in a few weeks time.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2010.

I applied for the position online and recieved an email about a month later to come to DC for a day of interviewing with each section interested in me. The interviews were 30 minutes long and at least half of the time was the interviewer telling me about their section. A research assistant or two came to about half of the interviews, and typically at the end I was left with them to ask questions.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2008.

The interview process was conducted in one day, I interviewed with 4 different sections. Each section asked background questions and then explained the details of their sections. I was then asked to rank the sections. Offers were extended about a week later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board in February 2008.

interviewed with 12 sections; 30 minutes with each section. I also had 1 phone interview with a section. The first 20 minutes of interview are with economists from the section, last 10 minutes with current RAs. Pretty standard questions about research interests, past research projects, why the FED, etc. I think each section is trying to judge how you would fit in with them; i.e. with current economists and current RAs. You don't necessarily have to have previous research experience, I didn't, but you should be able to articulate why you want to work at the FED, what interests you in the field of economics, and what your future goals are. I would also suggest keeping up with current events through the Economist or WSJ as you might be asked how you feel about Greece's recent Debt problems, etc.

NA