Federal Reserve Board Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.1

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied via the online career page. I was contacted shortly after and did a phone screen with the recruiter. I then had a 30min phone screen with some of the office managers. After a week or so, I was called back to do an in-person interview which took almost 2 hours. After that, I was asked to come back again to meet the Director. I had an offer a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with not leading projects?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes; asked for 2,000 more (annually) and it was accepted.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview.

Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation.

Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Questions

• Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very easy and friendly environment more like a conversation.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online in late September during the fall RA hiring season. Heard back in late October about coming to D.C. to interview. In the fall hiring season, they don't hire for sections, so instead you have two interviews, each with two economists at the board. They asked simple questions about things on my resume and coursework. I also had lunch with current RAs. I heard back 2 days after interviewing about an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied by email. I sent in my transcript, 2 letters of recommendation, resume, cover letter and the application. I was called by an HR representative and was given the description of the projects they wanted to interview me on after submitting my resume. A few days later I interviewed with two economists from different sections.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

They have a new interview process now. You interview with a maximum of 6 sections, and each section's interview is 30 minutes total. You meet with an HR person who goes over the benefits and salary, then the interviews start back to back. I had 6 and you have a 1-hour lunch break in the middle with current RAs.

Each of the interviews were the same format - 30 minutes with 10 minutes the economists discussing their section's roles/duties, 10 minutes them asking about your research experience, and 10 minutes questions (usually with current RAs). I was not asked any overly technical nor behavioral, simply discussing my research projects and my experience with statistical software. I would brush up on current events though.

At the end, you rank the sections you liked, and wait for an offer. I received mine via phone a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What economic models have you learned throughout your courses?   1 Answer
    • What statistical softwares are you familiar with? Give some examples of work you've done with those softwares.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable and constant throughout sections.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

Round 1: 10min HR phone screen + writing sample submission
    Round 2: 40min phone interview with hiring manager
    Round 3: Four 30min in-person interviews with the higher-ups + lunch with the whole team (peers) + 30min interview with a peer

Interview Questions

• Walk me through a project which involved data analysis   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got a 10K raise and a 5K signing bonus.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in December 2010.

Interview

It was rather quick, considering the majority of the interview process occurred during December. Phone interview with recruiter, on-site interview during the start of "Snowmageddon," offer in hand first week of January.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral-based interview with a panel, followed by several one-on-one interviews with managers and officers. Didn't experience any "difficult" questions as it was closer to a discussion of what to expect once I started. I had an immediate feeling that the position was already mine and interview was to gauge how well I would fit with co-workers. A really good day and every part of the day went extremely well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fairly straightforward; quick & painless

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed on the phone and offered a position in a few weeks time.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

I applied for the position online and recieved an email about a month later to come to DC for a day of interviewing with each section interested in me. The interviews were 30 minutes long and at least half of the time was the interviewer telling me about their section. A research assistant or two came to about half of the interviews, and typically at the end I was left with them to ask questions.