Federal Reserve Board

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview.

Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation.

Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Question – Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board.

Interview Details – Very easy and friendly environment more like a conversation.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in late September during the fall RA hiring season. Heard back in late October about coming to D.C. to interview. In the fall hiring season, they don't hire for sections, so instead you have two interviews, each with two economists at the board. They asked simple questions about things on my resume and coursework. I also had lunch with current RAs. I heard back 2 days after interviewing about an offer.

Interview Question – Tell us about your senior thesis.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Senior Research Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in February 2010.

Interview Details – If you get an interview that is a very good sign. You will essentially come in, be presented with multiple Sections (Sections are about 7-15 people within Divisions), told about each Section then will get to rank them at the end of the day. They will rank whether they think you are a good fit too.

Interview Question – Explain the benefits of a fiat currency to a gold standard proponent.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You don't get to negotiate for a Research Assistant position.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in February 2011.

Interview Details – Round 1: 10min HR phone screen + writing sample submission
Round 2: 40min phone interview with hiring manager
Round 3: Four 30min in-person interviews with the higher-ups + lunch with the whole team (peers) + 30min interview with a peer

Interview Question – Walk me through a project which involved data analysis   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got a 10K raise and a 5K signing bonus.

Specialist Interview

Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in December 2010.

Interview Details – It was rather quick, considering the majority of the interview process occurred during December. Phone interview with recruiter, on-site interview during the start of "Snowmageddon," offer in hand first week of January.

Interview Question – Typical behavioral-based interview with a panel, followed by several one-on-one interviews with managers and officers. Didn't experience any "difficult" questions as it was closer to a discussion of what to expect once I started. I had an immediate feeling that the position was already mine and interview was to gauge how well I would fit with co-workers. A really good day and every part of the day went extremely well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly straightforward; quick & painless

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied by email. I sent in my transcript, 2 letters of recommendation, resume, cover letter and the application. I was called by an HR representative and was given the description of the projects they wanted to interview me on after submitting my resume. A few days later I interviewed with two economists from different sections.

Interview Question – How would you benefit from spending a summer here?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in March 2012.

Interview Details – They have a new interview process now. You interview with a maximum of 6 sections, and each section's interview is 30 minutes total. You meet with an HR person who goes over the benefits and salary, then the interviews start back to back. I had 6 and you have a 1-hour lunch break in the middle with current RAs.

Each of the interviews were the same format - 30 minutes with 10 minutes the economists discussing their section's roles/duties, 10 minutes them asking about your research experience, and 10 minutes questions (usually with current RAs). I was not asked any overly technical nor behavioral, simply discussing my research projects and my experience with statistical software. I would brush up on current events though.

At the end, you rank the sections you liked, and wait for an offer. I received mine via phone a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What economic models have you learned throughout your courses?   View Answer
  • What statistical softwares are you familiar with? Give some examples of work you've done with those softwares.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is non-negotiable and constant throughout sections.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed on the phone and offered a position in a few weeks time.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself   Answer Question

Reserve Banking Interview

Reserve Banking
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Federal Reserve Board in January 2009.

Interview Details – After a phone screen, I met with a series of people in the hiring group. The questions were not technical, but they were trying to get a sense of what I was looking for. It seemed like a good place to work; I liked some of the interviewers very much - the interviews were lively.

Interview Question – What environment are you looking for in the ideal workplace?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Federal Reserve Board? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Federal Reserve Board interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Federal Reserve Board employees and interview candidates.