Federal Reserve Board Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.2

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Chaotic--HR rep on vacation, got an assistant or intern. I had to remind her of necessary steps and advocate to get the schedule I needed. Then had difficulty getting through security due to snafu on her end.

Interview Questions

• Just like the federal job process. Very focused on how my experiences would tie in to their department. Scored on each question. I'd say prep based on online application questions and with guidance on federal interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very relaxed. They asked questions regarding my background, research experience, and programming skills. The interviewers were a group of economists who worked in each division. Very conversational and low stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain what your research was about? Why did you do the things you did? Your results?   Answer Question

Senior Space Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

A recruiter from the Board contacted me after finding my resume on Monster and set up an interview. They paid for my travel to DC from New Jersey and a stay overnight in a hotel. I met with an HR recruiter individually and then team members from the Management Division as a group. They looked at my portfolio, asked basic interview questions, talked about benefits, the job role, etc... it was a very relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specific questions, as they were very generic.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the compensation and benefits they offered, however I was able to increase the salary offer slightly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got an interview request a few month later (Applied in January and got the interview request in early April). The best way I can describe the interview process is division speed dating. You get a half hour with each division interested in you (I had 6, which I believe is the max). The interviewer are all very friendly and the interview is low stress. Mainly just telling you about what you are doing and then learning a little bit about you beyond the resume. A lot of questions on my research and previous internship experience. Not really any difficult technical questions. Some divisions will afterwards bring in a current RA to talk with you for a couple of minuets about there work and any questions you have. Half way though the day there is a lunch with two current RAs which was a good opportunity to determine if the Board was a culture fit for me. Also, the HR guy is super helpful and can do a very quick turnaround if you have outstanding offers.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied via the online career page. I was contacted shortly after and did a phone screen with the recruiter. I then had a 30min phone screen with some of the office managers. After a week or so, I was called back to do an in-person interview which took almost 2 hours. After that, I was asked to come back again to meet the Director. I had an offer a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with not leading projects?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Yes; asked for 2,000 more (annually) and it was accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied in the January deadline, contacted in mid-March for an interview. Full day of interviews with five different sections and meeting with HR to discuss benefits and salary. Be prepared to ask questions about their research and be questioned about your research experiences and how you came to apply to the Federal Reserve Board. The interview is less an "interview" and more a conversation. Make sure to tell them if you have any offers outstanding, because in many cases, they can do a very quick turnaround.

Interview Questions

• Some general questions on areas that I claimed expertise.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very easy and friendly environment more like a conversation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online in late September during the fall RA hiring season. Heard back in late October about coming to D.C. to interview. In the fall hiring season, they don't hire for sections, so instead you have two interviews, each with two economists at the board. They asked simple questions about things on my resume and coursework. I also had lunch with current RAs. I heard back 2 days after interviewing about an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No salary negotiation.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied by email. I sent in my transcript, 2 letters of recommendation, resume, cover letter and the application. I was called by an HR representative and was given the description of the projects they wanted to interview me on after submitting my resume. A few days later I interviewed with two economists from different sections.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Federal Reserve Board (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

They have a new interview process now. You interview with a maximum of 6 sections, and each section's interview is 30 minutes total. You meet with an HR person who goes over the benefits and salary, then the interviews start back to back. I had 6 and you have a 1-hour lunch break in the middle with current RAs. Each of the interviews were the same format - 30 minutes with 10 minutes the economists discussing their section's roles/duties, 10 minutes them asking about your research experience, and 10 minutes questions (usually with current RAs). I was not asked any overly technical nor behavioral, simply discussing my research projects and my experience with statistical software. I would brush up on current events though. At the end, you rank the sections you liked, and wait for an offer. I received mine via phone a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What economic models have you learned throughout your courses?   1 Answer
    • What statistical softwares are you familiar with? Give some examples of work you've done with those softwares.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable and constant throughout sections.