Federated Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Federated Insurance in January 2013.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process. 3 scripted interviews with district manager, ride-alongs, 2 VP interviews. I met the DM at a coffee shop on my own time. He followed up with 3 scheduled interviews. I then met the VP of sales and scheduled an interview with him. I did not follow through with the 4th interview.

Interview Question – If I walked into your home, what would be one object that describes you perfectly?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Took other opportunity

Marketing Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview Details – These people reward their employees graciously. During the interview process, they are heavy on personality expectations and testing you to get a feel for what you represent or bring to the company. They love self-driven people.

Interview Question – What is your favorite food?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Marketing Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I only went through the very beginning of their hiring process. Their district manager found my resume online and contacted me about the position. After the initial phone call, which was really more of an information session than an interview, he had me take a very lengthy personality test. The results came back favorable and an interview was scheduled with the district and regional managers. Again, this was somewhat informational. We discussed my background and what I was looking for. I also found out that this was essentially the first of 9 interviews they do before hiring someone. The last 3 interviews they conduct with you and your spouse, something I found quite odd. The managers I had contact with were both very personable, professional, and I could tell they genuinely cared about their employees. However, I found their hiring process to be somewhat overbearing and intrusive which highlights that they are looking for an extremely specific kind of person to go to work for them.

Interview Question – Requiring three interviews with the candidate and their spouse and asking to check my credit before a job offer was made.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Risk Survey Specialist Interview

Risk Survey Specialist

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Federated Insurance in July 2010.

Interview Details – Long and formal.

Underwriting Document Services Associate Interview

Underwriting Document Services Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview Details – Pre-testing in HR to test skill needed for position
Interview consisted of behavioral based questions with the hiring supervisor and her manager present.

Interview Question – What do you not like in your current role?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview Details – Was first given a phone interview. Phone interview was over my college accomplishments and involvement. Did not go very deep into job history. Was brought in for an in-person interview and given an aptitude test. Everything went well. Waiting for an offer.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in claims?   View Answer

Marketing Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview Details – Very long hiring process to ensure the candidate can handle the pressures of the job. Significant others are brought to final interviews. Initial interview, ride along, dinner with immediate manager and your spouse, interview with regional manager and your spouse, interview with director and your spouse.

Interview Question – Reviewed college transcripts or resume and found most glaring weakness. Made individual sell manager on why they should ignore this weakness and still consider you as a candidate.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative
Owatonna, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview Details – Has changed tremendously over the year - they look to hire people with marketing attributes for all positions.

Interview Question – No specific question posed that was difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary, vacation etc... it was take it or leave it.

Regional Risk Manager Interview

Regional Risk Manager
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication with the recruiter began through a university career fair. After making contact, I was asked ot fill out an application and took a skills/personality test, then underwent a brief phone interview. The recruiter also asked for 3+ references (I sent 6, past hires had sent more than this.) Federated specifically seeks a good fit with personality rather than skill. Their training program is very intensive, and focuses on teaching their new-hires the skills they might need. So their interview process is heavily focused upon who you are, how you react, what other people think of you, etc.
Next, there were two intensive interviews with behavioral and situational interview questions. I used the "STAR" method; situation/task, action and result, and this method was incredibly effective in answering each type of question presented. My preparation for these questions was essential to answering them with specific enough situations. I was asked to "be more specific", even when I felt I had been very direct already. Questions to expect in this stage are those such as; "Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way, Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it, What is your typical way of dealing with conflict?, Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa), etc. After initially answering these questions, the interviewer will return with additional questions to fill-in any blanks and dig deeper into your thought-process, relationships, and attitudes; and challenge your answers to try and examine any inconsistencies that might appear.
Other questions that appear are more specifically tailored to your past job experiences; be prepared to discuss in detail these positions, and how you reacted with different situations.
Personal likeability is extremely important, and so are communication and presentation skills. I checked "presentation" box below. Although the interviewer did not watch me present, we discussed my presentation skills in classes (I believe he spoke to professors who he had contact information for about my personal skills), and he would have had me do a personal presentation in a subsequent interview if I had continued the process.
Lastly, I was expected to call 4 current employees in the field and interview them, and also physically shadow a field-representative in my area. I met the representative and rode to his different appointments with him, then wrote-up a reflection about the experience and sent this to my recruiter at the conclusion.

Interview Questions

• Although I cannot recall the exact phrasing of the questions, Federated expects that you will be well-aware of your weaknesses and asks many questions about them, and how you will overcome them. An answer like "I am too much of a perfectionist" will not be regarded as an honest-enough answer to the interviewer, and they will aggressively seek a better answer. You are also expected to have thought through potential counter-arguments or reactions to your answers.   Answer Question
  • Each interview lasted about 2-hours. About 1/4 of this time, the interviewer expected that I would ask him questions about the position. It is difficult to fill this much time with questions about a position you've already read about, filled out an application, and interviewed for in the past couple months.   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Knoxville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Federated Insurance in January 2011.

Interview Details – Had to take a compatibility test, then had a 1:1 interview where he described the company and then proceeded to ask all about my family and work experience. Did a credit and background and drivers background test. Will be doing second round interviews in a few weeks.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in 5 years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Federated Insurance

Worked for Federated Insurance? Contribute to the Community!