Federated Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

3.3

Marketing Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Federated Insurance in November 2011.

Interview

Long.

Better offer.

Marketing Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2014.

Interview

I only went through the very beginning of their hiring process. Their district manager found my resume online and contacted me about the position. After the initial phone call, which was really more of an information session than an interview, he had me take a very lengthy personality test. The results came back favorable and an interview was scheduled with the district and regional managers. Again, this was somewhat informational. We discussed my background and what I was looking for. I also found out that this was essentially the first of 9 interviews they do before hiring someone. The last 3 interviews they conduct with you and your spouse, something I found quite odd. The managers I had contact with were both very personable, professional, and I could tell they genuinely cared about their employees. However, I found their hiring process to be somewhat overbearing and intrusive which highlights that they are looking for an extremely specific kind of person to go to work for them.

Interview Questions

• Requiring three interviews with the candidate and their spouse and asking to check my credit before a job offer was made.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Federated Insurance in July 2010.

Interview

Long and formal.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Very long hiring process to ensure the candidate can handle the pressures of the job. Significant others are brought to final interviews. Initial interview, ride along, dinner with immediate manager and your spouse, interview with regional manager and your spouse, interview with director and your spouse.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed college transcripts or resume and found most glaring weakness. Made individual sell manager on why they should ignore this weakness and still consider you as a candidate.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Interview

Pre-testing in HR to test skill needed for position Interview consisted of behavioral based questions with the hiring supervisor and her manager present.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Federated Insurance in September 2012.

Interview

Very long process, I had a total of 12 interviews counting ride alongs with two current reps. The process is long to weed out the people that wont stay persistent.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owatonna, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federated Insurance (Owatonna, MN).

Interview

I got to the headquarters and was immediately greeted by one of the HR staff. She brought me to a small room with a booklet of awkwardly laid out questions, and an awkwardly looking answer sheet. She gave me 20 minutes to solve 24 problems that are ridiculous for the position I was applying for. They were very confusing math story problems with only variables. You will read a story problem where variables are listed, and you have to select the correct math equation that shows the math. From the HR Lady: "Most people don't finish." After completing half of the answers, I received a new set of problems with a 35 minute time limit. It didn't seem too hard. After completing the two tests, an HR rep walked in and said I didn't pass the test, so I couldn't go onto the actual face-to-face interviews. I applied for a software developer, and didn't even get to answer a single question relevant to it. The test should have been given prior to this "in house" interview. I would recommend making it an online process.

Interview Questions

• Example: "If speed (s) is constant and the percentage of force upon in increases at random (f) what will happen if you multiply the gravitational pull of the moon (m) by s? That's the style. You would have to provide the formula.   Answer Question

Regional Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Federated Insurance (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2010.

Interview

Initial communication with the recruiter began through a university career fair. After making contact, I was asked ot fill out an application and took a skills/personality test, then underwent a brief phone interview. The recruiter also asked for 3+ references (I sent 6, past hires had sent more than this.) Federated specifically seeks a good fit with personality rather than skill. Their training program is very intensive, and focuses on teaching their new-hires the skills they might need. So their interview process is heavily focused upon who you are, how you react, what other people think of you, etc. Next, there were two intensive interviews with behavioral and situational interview questions. I used the "STAR" method; situation/task, action and result, and this method was incredibly effective in answering each type of question presented. My preparation for these questions was essential to answering them with specific enough situations. I was asked to "be more specific", even when I felt I had been very direct already. Questions to expect in this stage are those such as; "Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way, Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it, What is your typical way of dealing with conflict?, Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa), etc. After initially answering these questions, the interviewer will return with additional questions to fill-in any blanks and dig deeper into your thought-process, relationships, and attitudes; and challenge your answers to try and examine any inconsistencies that might appear. Other questions that appear are more specifically tailored to your past job experiences; be prepared to discuss in detail these positions, and how you reacted with different situations. Personal likeability is extremely important, and so are communication and presentation skills. I checked "presentation" box below. Although the interviewer did not watch me present, we discussed my presentation skills in classes (I believe he spoke to professors who he had contact information for about my personal skills), and he would have had me do a personal presentation in a subsequent interview if I had continued the process. Lastly, I was expected to call 4 current employees in the field and interview them, and also physically shadow a field-representative in my area. I met the representative and rode to his different appointments with him, then wrote-up a reflection about the experience and sent this to my recruiter at the conclusion.

Interview Questions

• Although I cannot recall the exact phrasing of the questions, Federated expects that you will be well-aware of your weaknesses and asks many questions about them, and how you will overcome them. An answer like "I am too much of a perfectionist" will not be regarded as an honest-enough answer to the interviewer, and they will aggressively seek a better answer. You are also expected to have thought through potential counter-arguments or reactions to your answers.   Answer Question
    • Each interview lasted about 2-hours. About 1/4 of this time, the interviewer expected that I would ask him questions about the position. It is difficult to fill this much time with questions about a position you've already read about, filled out an application, and interviewed for in the past couple months.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federated Insurance (Knoxville, TN) in January 2011.

Interview

Had to take a compatibility test, then had a 1:1 interview where he described the company and then proceeded to ask all about my family and work experience. Did a credit and background and drivers background test. Will be doing second round interviews in a few weeks.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with Federated through a campus recruitment event. I was selected as a candidate through a pre-screening process based on my resume. The interview itself lasted a full hour, at the end I was told I was a good candidate and the next step in the interview process was an online personality assessment that would take approximately 2.5 hours. My initial interview was postponed after my interviewer had a family issue and had to leave. It was rescheduled for a week and a half later. I received a phone call from my recruiter verifying the new interview date/time because he "forgot." I also received mixed messages from the recruiter about the follow-up process: he verbally informed me that he would call me to follow up, but in an email from his assistant said that I should call him. After trying to contact my recruiter several times over the course of a few weeks he called me back at 6am on a weekday to tell me that I had passed the online assessment and his assistant would email me with a date for a second interview. I never received the email and my calls went unanswered and were not returned. I was disappointed with the lack of professionalism of my recruiter, as I had been very impressed with the company.