Federated Insurance

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

3.4

Associate Systems Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Met with a recruiter at a school career fair. Received a call to schedule a phone interview very soon after that. After the phone interview, I was scheduled to come in to take a logic/math test and further my interviews. The day included the test in the morning, which was not bad. I felt rushed through the math portion (24 questions in 20 minutes), but had extra time during the logic portion. If you pass the test, you have one interview with a supervisor, then a tour, and then another interview. The first interview was very casual and the second had a lot of behavioral type questions asking for specific situations. The whole process took about 3.5 hours. They then called to schedule another in-person interview which also includes a job shadow. I will update after I have completed that interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you had to persuade someone to use your idea.
      Give me an example of a time when you had to confront someone.

Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federated Insurance in January 2013.

Extensive interview process. 3 scripted interviews with district manager, ride-alongs, 2 VP interviews. I met the DM at a coffee shop on my own time. He followed up with 3 scheduled interviews. I then met the VP of sales and scheduled an interview with him. I did not follow through with the 4th interview.

Interview Questions
    • If I walked into your home, what would be one object that describes you perfectly?   View Answer

Took other opportunity

Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

These people reward their employees graciously. During the interview process, they are heavy on personality expectations and testing you to get a feel for what you represent or bring to the company. They love self-driven people.

Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2014.

I only went through the very beginning of their hiring process. Their district manager found my resume online and contacted me about the position. After the initial phone call, which was really more of an information session than an interview, he had me take a very lengthy personality test. The results came back favorable and an interview was scheduled with the district and regional managers. Again, this was somewhat informational. We discussed my background and what I was looking for. I also found out that this was essentially the first of 9 interviews they do before hiring someone. The last 3 interviews they conduct with you and your spouse, something I found quite odd. The managers I had contact with were both very personable, professional, and I could tell they genuinely cared about their employees. However, I found their hiring process to be somewhat overbearing and intrusive which highlights that they are looking for an extremely specific kind of person to go to work for them.

Interview Questions
    • Requiring three interviews with the candidate and their spouse and asking to check my credit before a job offer was made.   Answer Question

Risk Survey Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Federated Insurance in July 2010.

Long and formal.

Underwriting Document Services Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance.

Pre-testing in HR to test skill needed for position
    Interview consisted of behavioral based questions with the hiring supervisor and her manager present.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Federated Insurance.

Was first given a phone interview. Phone interview was over my college accomplishments and involvement. Did not go very deep into job history. Was brought in for an in-person interview and given an aptitude test. Everything went well. Waiting for an offer.

Marketing Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance.

Very long hiring process to ensure the candidate can handle the pressures of the job. Significant others are brought to final interviews. Initial interview, ride along, dinner with immediate manager and your spouse, interview with regional manager and your spouse, interview with director and your spouse.

Interview Questions
    • Reviewed college transcripts or resume and found most glaring weakness. Made individual sell manager on why they should ignore this weakness and still consider you as a candidate.   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owatonna, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owatonna, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Federated Insurance.

Has changed tremendously over the year - they look to hire people with marketing attributes for all positions.

Interview Questions
    • No specific question posed that was difficult or unexpected   Answer Question
    No negotiation on salary, vacation etc... it was take it or leave it.

Regional Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2010.

Initial communication with the recruiter began through a university career fair. After making contact, I was asked ot fill out an application and took a skills/personality test, then underwent a brief phone interview. The recruiter also asked for 3+ references (I sent 6, past hires had sent more than this.) Federated specifically seeks a good fit with personality rather than skill. Their training program is very intensive, and focuses on teaching their new-hires the skills they might need. So their interview process is heavily focused upon who you are, how you react, what other people think of you, etc.
    Next, there were two intensive interviews with behavioral and situational interview questions. I used the "STAR" method; situation/task, action and result, and this method was incredibly effective in answering each type of question presented. My preparation for these questions was essential to answering them with specific enough situations. I was asked to "be more specific", even when I felt I had been very direct already. Questions to expect in this stage are those such as; "Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way, Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it, What is your typical way of dealing with conflict?, Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa), etc. After initially answering these questions, the interviewer will return with additional questions to fill-in any blanks and dig deeper into your thought-process, relationships, and attitudes; and challenge your answers to try and examine any inconsistencies that might appear.
    Other questions that appear are more specifically tailored to your past job experiences; be prepared to discuss in detail these positions, and how you reacted with different situations.
    Personal likeability is extremely important, and so are communication and presentation skills. I checked "presentation" box below. Although the interviewer did not watch me present, we discussed my presentation skills in classes (I believe he spoke to professors who he had contact information for about my personal skills), and he would have had me do a personal presentation in a subsequent interview if I had continued the process.
    Lastly, I was expected to call 4 current employees in the field and interview them, and also physically shadow a field-representative in my area. I met the representative and rode to his different appointments with him, then wrote-up a reflection about the experience and sent this to my recruiter at the conclusion.

Interview Questions
    • Although I cannot recall the exact phrasing of the questions, Federated expects that you will be well-aware of your weaknesses and asks many questions about them, and how you will overcome them. An answer like "I am too much of a perfectionist" will not be regarded as an honest-enough answer to the interviewer, and they will aggressively seek a better answer. You are also expected to have thought through potential counter-arguments or reactions to your answers.   Answer Question
    • Each interview lasted about 2-hours. About 1/4 of this time, the interviewer expected that I would ask him questions about the position. It is difficult to fill this much time with questions about a position you've already read about, filled out an application, and interviewed for in the past couple months.   View Answer