Federated Insurance

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Regional Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Federated Insurance in March 2010.

Initial communication with the recruiter began through a university career fair. After making contact, I was asked ot fill out an application and took a skills/personality test, then underwent a brief phone interview. The recruiter also asked for 3+ references (I sent 6, past hires had sent more than this.) Federated specifically seeks a good fit with personality rather than skill. Their training program is very intensive, and focuses on teaching their new-hires the skills they might need. So their interview process is heavily focused upon who you are, how you react, what other people think of you, etc.
Next, there were two intensive interviews with behavioral and situational interview questions. I used the "STAR" method; situation/task, action and result, and this method was incredibly effective in answering each type of question presented. My preparation for these questions was essential to answering them with specific enough situations. I was asked to "be more specific", even when I felt I had been very direct already. Questions to expect in this stage are those such as; "Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way, Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it, What is your typical way of dealing with conflict?, Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa), etc. After initially answering these questions, the interviewer will return with additional questions to fill-in any blanks and dig deeper into your thought-process, relationships, and attitudes; and challenge your answers to try and examine any inconsistencies that might appear.
Other questions that appear are more specifically tailored to your past job experiences; be prepared to discuss in detail these positions, and how you reacted with different situations.
Personal likeability is extremely important, and so are communication and presentation skills. I checked "presentation" box below. Although the interviewer did not watch me present, we discussed my presentation skills in classes (I believe he spoke to professors who he had contact information for about my personal skills), and he would have had me do a personal presentation in a subsequent interview if I had continued the process.
Lastly, I was expected to call 4 current employees in the field and interview them, and also physically shadow a field-representative in my area. I met the representative and rode to his different appointments with him, then wrote-up a reflection about the experience and sent this to my recruiter at the conclusion.

Interview Questions
  • Although I cannot recall the exact phrasing of the questions, Federated expects that you will be well-aware of your weaknesses and asks many questions about them, and how you will overcome them. An answer like "I am too much of a perfectionist" will not be regarded as an honest-enough answer to the interviewer, and they will aggressively seek a better answer. You are also expected to have thought through potential counter-arguments or reactions to your answers.   Answer Question
  • Each interview lasted about 2-hours. About 1/4 of this time, the interviewer expected that I would ask him questions about the position. It is difficult to fill this much time with questions about a position you've already read about, filled out an application, and interviewed for in the past couple months.   View Answer