Fedex Express

Relevance Date Difficulty

Dangerous Goods Agent Interview

Dangerous Goods Agent
Indianapolis, IN

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fedex Express in June 2012.

Interview Details – My last interview was an internal FedEx interview. In order to move into a lateral position, change shifts, transfer to a FedEx station, or other location around the globe, or to advance to a higher position within the hub, you must first "bid" on an open position via the FedEx Intranet.
There are usually several bidders. Based on your length of continuous service, you are then ranked among the others. This ranking determines which applicant gets the position, provided that position doesn't require an interview.
The position of DG Agent does require an interview. Therefore, the Operations Manager that posted the opening conducted interviews with a few (maybe 5-8 or so, up to the Mgr) of the highest ranking applicants.
The Operations Manager was accompanied by one of his higher ranking team members (who was qualified to perform the job being interviewed for as well).
There was only one interview. It took place in a comfortable (cushy chairs) & quiet conference room.
I was given a small questionnaire with a few general questions testing my current knowledge of dangerous goods, my ability to follow written directions, & my basic math skills. Then, the two took turns asking their prepared questions. I was told that I could have the questions repeated, if necessary...& I did a couple of times.
The questions were mostly about my past work experience inside (& some out) of FedEx. There were questions related to interpersonal skills, how would/ did you react in certain situations, situations where you exercised good safety values or helped others improve their job performance, how you would go about getting someone to do something you knew they didn't want to do, etc...
My advice to any future applicants (especially if you're a nervous interviewee), is to prepare. Google sample interview questions/ suggested answers. Review them as close to the time of your interview as possible (so that you can recall how you wanted to answer them). Practice, but try not to sound rehearsed.
Be confident, but not too conceited. They want to know that you're concerned with their needs as well as your own (it's not all about you). Limit your answers to your positive work experiences as much as possible. Be yourself & try to relax (breathe) before you go in.
Prepare any questions you may have for them. It's generally okay to write them down & bring them with you (but only look at them when it's your time to ask the questions). They'll be more confident that you know what you're getting into.
That is all I have. Thanks for reading! Good luck! :-)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a task that you were not qualified for, but in the end, was surprised or proud of what you had successfully accomplished...and how did you do it? ---TRICK QUESTION: You are NEVER supposed to perform duties at FedEx When you are not qualified to do so. AND, at the beginning of the interview, I was told to relate my answers to FedEx experience whenever possible.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you noticed a mistake or safety concern that if ignored, could have resulted in disaster or a much bigger problem...and what did you do about it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At FedEx, the hourly positions each have a set base pay. The difference between your current position's base pay & what you actually make is generally carried over to the base pay of the position you are offered. There really is no negotiation in this case.
 My knowledge is ONLY in the area of hourly positions. I have no knowledge of Management, upper Management, field, or Corporate procedures on this subject.

Worked for Fedex Express? Contribute to the Community!