Fedex Express

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source – interviewed at Fedex Express.

It was a cattle call, I spent about 2 or 3 hours with another 12 to 15 people first taking a written test. From what I can recall the test was about at a high school senior level. The three (out of 4 or 5) sections of the test I can remember were:
    - Categorizing 5-digit numbers (just like zip codes), numbers 10000 to 20000 are category A,
    numbers 20001 to 20300 are category B, etc. you then turn to a page of about 300 numbers, and you have to fill in the bubble 'A', 'B', or 'C'
    - A map reading test; on a simplified map with made up business and locations, you had to answer questions like, "if you are going from ABC Co. to XYZ Co., what streets would you cross?"
    - A memory test; the proctor played an audio tape ONCE that would give you instructions: "take truck 123 and go to ABC Co. ask for john doe and pick up X boxes," and then you would answer the questions in the exam booklet. The questions would consist of, or "how many boxes were you required to pick up?" or, "what was the contact's name?"

After the tests are collected, you wait in the same room until you are called to have a one on one interview. Most of the interview questions were behavioral questions, "tell me about a time that..." and questions about your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview questions were behavioral questions, "tell me about a time that..." and questions about your resume.   View Answer
    Negotiating is difficult for just a courier position.

Courier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fedex Express.

Phone interview wasnt really an interview but a summation of expectations which you said yes or no to the conditions. Ex: are you willing to work in all weather condition. Then I was set up with an in person interview of 2 managers. They asked the standard interview questions. Ex: give us an example of a goal you achieved, how you set it up, what you did to get there and the results.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised there were no questions about "why do you want to work here" or why should we hire you, or where do you see yourself in five years.   Answer Question
    All couriers start at the same rate. No salary negotiating.

Senior Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Fedex Express in April 2014.

This was a very tough interview using the STAR method of questioning. As soon as I was seated in the interview room, the hiring manager asked me to present a 15 minute presentation on a specific company philosophy. I was not aware this was required. Then, I was asked to write an essay expalining what qualities distunguished me from other candidates, why I would be the best choice, and include a 90 day integration plan. Following the initial tasks, three interviewers entered the room and conducted a very thorough interview using the STAR method. The panel was very professional, engaging, and more than willing to answer questions or provide additional insight. The interview questions were scripted and my responses were scored. The questions themselves were more like "tell me a time wen you sucessfully..." They did not use any trick or unrelated questions. The best method to of preparing is to take an inventory of your personal stregnths and areas of opportunity and to develop a solid "bank" of professional experiences upon which to form answers to the interview questions.

Keep in mid that FedEx Corporate Security is a blend of investigative, asset protection, executive protection, physical security, work place violence, and customer involved Security matters. Thus, make sure you develop a thorough understanding of each of these areas. Security Specialist are the company's comprehensive investigative arm. Below them are Security officers who are uniformed, armed, and drive black and white squads. They provide protection, employee airport-like screening, respond to calls on the property, etc. Don't be dismayed if you don't receive an offer on the first try. I may suggest after a non-offer situation, attempt to apply to FedEx a a Uniformed Security Officer to get your foot in the door. You'll have to complete the police academy in Shelby County, TN. Then, you can watch internal postings and attempt to promote to Investigator when posted.

Positions in FedEx Corporate Security are coveted and competion is stiff. Although FedEx has a promote from within culture, Security investigative positions often are posted externally due to the previous law enforcement experience requirement. Hundereds of resumes are received for positions, so take the time to perfect your resume and cover letter; separate yourself from the pack!

Most Security management personnel are very easy to work for. The job is intense and requires 24/7 availability. Even with this requirement, no other company van match the work life balance FedEx salaried positions offer. The salary is very unequal within the Department and is significantly lower than it should be across the board. This is particulary true in the current economy. Salary is what needs the most improvement. Overall, study what you can find on the web and prepare. If you can deal with the salary, everything else makes this a dream job.

Interview Questions
    • Again, the questions required thought, planning, and follow through. There were no trick questions or no "why is a man hole cover round" type questions.   Answer Question
    Be prepare for the salary. I thought they would make a low ball offer and then negotite up from there. That was not the case - Salary was not negotiable and is low based on the multi-faceted nature of the position. Salaries are fixed based on pay grade which will improve over time. Relocation may be offered depending on the market and need. Pay grades ( officer, I, II, III, And Sr) are determined by years of law enforcement experience plus education. A market level stipend is also included for select markets to off set increased cost of living. Note: A bachelors is required and usually between 5-7 years investigative experience is required.

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fedex Express in April 2014.

Answered five questions and said yes to all the questions and simply got the job. Easiest interview I ever had. If you fail the interview process then there is something wrong with you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Fedex Express.

Apply on-line and then a recruiter will call and set up an interview.

You will be asked 8 behavioral questions where they will be looking for strong answers from your past experience that relates to the courier job.

You will be given a conditional offer based upon passing drug and crim check.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you had to make a decision in the absence of your immediate supervisor.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Fedex Express.

internal interviews are all I have experienced. most are based on behavioral questions. once you are inside of FedEx, moving around internally is much easier than what I have understood from other companies.

Ops Manager Interview

Be prepared for a situational management interview. You will be required to present previousl examples of where you had to act, what were the circumstances, what did you do, what were the results and what did you learn. The interviewer will also inquire to your leadership style, experiences as an informal leader and why you are the right choice.

Was not in a position to negotiate.

Part Time Courier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Fedex Express in March 2014.

I was contacted by a recruitment specialist about a month after submitting an online application. She went through about 5 minutes worth of easy screening questions (can you lift up to 75 pounds with little or no assistance, can you work the hours specified, etc.) She then said a local manager would contact me within a week to ten days. I was contacted by a local manager within 48 hours to set up an interview. We agreed on an interview the day he called, as I was off work from my then current job that day.

I arrived at the interview about 10 minutes early. The interview was very standard with 10 easy questions, which the interviewer read off a packet of papers he had printed out. He wrote down responses and again asked if I could lift 75 pounds and outdoors in all conditions, etc. I asked a few questions about advancement, etc. and then he offered me a job.

I took my drug test and physical two days later. My start date was set two weeks after the interview to give me time to put in my two weeks at the job I had at the time.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very standard. For example, describe a time in which you had to work under pressure or in a stressful situation and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Hours and hourly pay set. Part time employees guaranteed at least 17.5 hours of pay per week.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fedex Express in March 2014.

Interview Questions
    • I do not believe this is a part that I can be candidte with you about. This process has also changed dramatically over the years. I may not be able to give you an accurate depection on what the process is for it has changed and continues to change.   Answer Question
    typical

Package Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fedex Express.

Email inviting you for the interview. In person then dug screen

Interview Questions
    Up front take it or leave it