Fidelity Investments Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.1

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

You arrive with about 12 other people and watch a 45 minute presentation on the company values and goals. Then 2 managers come take you into a room for a 45 minute interview. The questions were all behavior based. "Tell me about a time when...." Then, after that interview, TWO DIFFERENT managers come in to interview you. This is where things got exhausting. It was the same questions pretty much. But the second two weren't as friendly or cordial. It was like good cop/bad cop mentality between the two separate interviews. I'm not sure if it was purposeful or not... maybe they are testing your tolerance for repetitive work and nasty customers or maybe they are trying to trip you up to see if you change your answers. Who knows...but here is what I do know. What started out as an exciting interview, ended with me feeling battered and bruised. I was surprised since they do sooooooooooo much to sell the company and its environment to you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you received negative feedback and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Fidelity Investments

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2015.

Interview

I was very excited at first but recruiter turned me off. She called me ten minutes late. She was very abrasive when I didn't give her the answer she wanted. It's unfortunate because I really wanted to work there. It seemed she was not enjoying her job and she was on auto pilot. Advice to recruiters-This is an exciting time for new potential employees and making them feel welcomed and be thankful they're interested in your company even though they might not be the right fit (REFERRALS). I told the recruiter I wasn't interested.

Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Smithfield, RI) in May 2015.

Interview

Fidelity utilized an online behaviorial based format for the first interview. After review and acceptance, I was welcomed to interview with team leads in Smithfield, Rhode Island. After answering about 15-18 behavioral questions, I got feedback on the position within two days.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when... Have you ever been given feedback? How did you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

I filled out an application online and they called me within a few days for a phone interview. We set it up for April 3rd at 11:00 Am. I did research on the company and all things considered felt I was prepared. She called at 11:15 AM which did not set with me well. She told me about the salary and stressed that "did I have" debts, a criminal back round, had I ever been discharged from a job etc. and then moved on to the questions which were mediocre in difficultly until the last and final question.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard. Where do you see yourself in five years? Why do you want to work for Fidelity and how did you find out about this position? We were on the phone about 45 minutes and then she asked about if I had metrics or goals at my job and i said yes and explained some general goals we had as employees but were not assigned individual goals as it is a retail setting. She then asked me to give specific details of a phone call I had received at my job where I had to uncover an unspoken need that a customer had. Sorry no specifics in my brain. Something that I don't deal with but once every few years and with that it was over and she said she would not be asking me to move on with the interview process based on that. She also said I should work on my behavioral answers and reapply so I thanked her and said I would although I absolutely won't reapply. I didn't like the undertone in her voice and she sounded as though she could become irritated very quickly-don't know and its not important but I can move on and hope this helps someone who is a better fit for the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied to Fidelity before, and never heard back regarding my applications until recently. I previously came from a similar company and was more than qualified. I was so interested in working for Fidelity that I was willing to take a huge pay cut to work there. I first had a phone screening for over an hour, with a recruiter. She was very nice and said it wasn't her job to make hiring decisions, so she could coach me and help get me further along in the process. It was a difficult screening, she asked a lot of behavioral questions, and really pushed me for great answers. After the phone call, I felt like I had a firm grasp on what they were looking for, and how to prepare. When I got the invitation to an in-person interview, I was very excited! I fully researched for one week. The interview was at the Merrimack NH office, there were a few other candidates waiting. We were greeted by a woman who was very pleasant and we were told we would be given a presentation by one of their top performers, and then each candidate would be taken to a room to be interviewed by two "hiring managers in training". The presentation was FANTASTIC, speaker was very engaging and funny. I felt good about my presence there, I was the ONLY ONE who asked questions. I was told by the presenter that my questions were great and that he loved the way I thought. It seemed I made a very good first impression. After the presentation, we were given a tour of the call center area. After the tour, myself and the other candidates waited for our managers to come get us for our interviews. While I was waiting, myself and the presenter spoke about my background, and he said it sounded like I would be a great fit. He also made a comment that the hiring managers had "saved the best for last" because I was the last one to be retrieved. THEY, without hearing what the presenter said, ALSO made the same comment. This further added to my confidence during the interview, since the hiring managers had an hour to peruse our resumes. I thought the interview itself went very well. Although I practice interviewing, I'm still a bit of a nervous speaker, until I've spoken for a few minutes. So I did give some nervous answers that weren't completely what I meant to say at first. However, I felt I did a great job with the questions and some of them were similar to those I was asked over the phone. I spoke from the heart, and felt I did a very good job of conveying my skills and experience. After the interview, the managers talked to me for 10 minutes while they walked me over to the security area, and took my temp badge. We shook hands and they said I would hear back very soon. When I left, I felt very happy about the presentation and interview. I felt I represented myself well. I figured a few nervous answers in the beginning would be understandable, we are all human. I thought for sure I would get a call back to say I had the customer rep job, or something else (since I also mentioned other positions I would be interested in). I got a phone call THE NEXT DAY, someone left me a message stating that I did not get the job, but that she had feedback to offer me. I called her back, and was utterly SHOCKED by the feedback I received. My words were SO CUT DOWN as being complete answers to questions, and the abbreviated answers I was told I gave were only a small part of what I said. When I corrected her and told her what I actually did say, very nicely, she said curtly, "Well I didn't call you back so that you could defend yourself, I'm just giving you feedback." I told her I completely understood but that I felt my words were very misconstrued and cut down. She said that the biggest question to them was "Why Fidelity?" because they hear all the time that they are a great company with great benefits, and they were looking for a better answer than "I need a job", which my long answer actually got cut down to. I couldn't believe it! I had told the interviewers that I had always been interested in Fidelity but never got a call back before (they actually apologized), and that of course I was anxious to return to work, and I couldn't think of a better place to work than Fidelity because of their products and services which I was passionate about. I can safely say that I have NEVER, in all my years, had the experience where I felt like I had the job in the bag, when in actuality it was the opposite. I also felt like the "feedback call" could have been handled better, as I felt I was disrespected due to the tone of the woman on the phone. If I had to give advice to someone who really wants to work there, it would be choose each word you say VERY CAREFULLY even if you have to ask for a pause, and practice your behavioral questions, especially if you get nervous. It was so important to me to interview for this company, but the way I was ultimately treated really devastated me.

Interview Questions

• Why Fidelity? Tell me about your crowning achievement. Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client. How would you feel about being micro-managed? How do you adapt to change? How well do you take criticism?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

It took them a long time to respond after I originally applied, but you do eventually hear from them. First you have a phone interview, then they bring you in for a manager interview. Two managers will be in there, and it seems like they play a good cop bad cop, I think that is to see how you respond to a potentially negative customer on the phone.

Interview Questions

• As far as interview questions are concerned, they had standard interview questions like "time you faced a difficult situation at a job" "proudest moment" etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a 3 step process: initial phone screening that lasted about 20 minutes, a second phone interview that lasted about an hour, then a 4 hour in person interview. The first phone conversation was forgettable, I think it was to schedule the second interview and confirm that you can speak coherently over the phone. The second phone interview was standard interview questions. Being able to demonstrate knowledge of the company and answer questions about yourself that show desirable traits. The in person interview is a tour of the facility, about an hour long interview with two managers, then a written test.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of good customer service you have experienced. Give an example of poor customer service you have experienced.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Morrisville, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard. They ask about work experience. And walk you through senerios in which you have to provide aanswers as to how younwoild hadle different situations. They also asked about my typing skills and work ethics.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle negative criticisms from your manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2014.

Interview

Phone interview was first. than I set up an in person interview the next day. I was interviewed by a few different people for the actual interview. Make sure you are prepare with behavioral real life examples for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview that lasted about an hour then an in person interview which also lasted about an hour with 2 managers. The entire process was complete in about a month.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time that you failed and how you overcame that.   Answer Question