Fidelity Investments Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.9

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

I applied on the fidelity website and heard back within hours. They set up an initial call to tell me more about the position and make sure I was still interested. Then I had my first interview over the phone. It took about 40 minutes and the lady was very nice. She asked very basic behavioral interview questions. At the end of the call she asked me to set up an in person interview. It was set up for 2 weeks out. It consisted of a tour of the fidelity office and a meeting with two managers along with a presentation to learn more about fidelity. The last step was taking a simple critical thinking test. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave excellent customer service   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work in the financial services industry   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you received criticism from a manager and how you handled it   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for fidelity   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Fidelity Investments

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

It took about three weeks. I applied online and received a call to schedule a phone interview. Then I had an interview with hiring manager which was similar to the first interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was very fortunate beginning the hiring process with Fidelity. I was linked by a top tier Financial Consultant who was able to push me past the first round of phone interviews. I was then brought in for a first round, in-person interview. It consisted of meeting with three different branch service managers and their assistants all in one location. After a successful first round, I received an email back one week later saying my interview was "favorable." When I was brought back, I went directly to the branch where the manager requested me for a second round. It's been exactly two weeks since I went in for the second round and still haven't heard any feedback after being guaranteed to hear back from them for a week. Although I am frustrated and feeling anxious, the complete experience overall - I have been very grateful and appreciative of it. I have just graduated from college with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. This position would be most optimal for and individual like me. I pray for some positive news soon.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario where you have been apart of a team and have had discrepancies within. What did you do to resolve these issues and overcome them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in June 2015.

Interview

Received phone call and email 2 months after filling out application online. Set up a phone interview for a Saturday morning, that lasted one hour. It was part behavioral and part job description. Then she asked if I could come for an in-house interview on that Friday. Showed up with about 6 other people. - I wish I could have accepted this position, however now knowing what shift you will work after training did not work for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond and gave great customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Covington, KY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online after hearing wonderful things from a relative who works there. I received an email from a recruiter who set up a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes. I was invited in for an in-person interview. The interview began with a group where we watched a PowerPoint describing the company, the typical day, and the role. Then, we broke into individual interviews with two managers and one interviewee. This lasted about an hour. Afterwards, we took a critical thinking test. We were told that we would hear something in 5-10 days. I received a call back same day with an offer and asking if I had interest in a non-entry level position. I accepted the offer for the original position and am now in limbo waiting for the offer letter, background check, credit check, and drug screening. This part has been the most inconvenient. While I have accepted the offer, I'm still waiting for final steps to put in my two weeks notice at my current employer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood Village, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Greenwood Village, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

I received a call from an HR representative and she explained the role (call center) and the compensation package (hourly, quite good for the area). Then, she scheduled another phone interview with me that was a 30 minute behavioral interview with another HR person. This was fairly easy if you prepare (she recommended the STAR method which I used). Then, I got a call back giving me feedback on the interview and advice for an in-person interview which we scheduled. At the in-person interview, I arrived with 6 other people and we sat through about an hour and a half presentation on why it is good to work at Fidelity, what the culture is like, and what the job is like. We also go to hear a recorded call that we would probably receive ourselves on the job. Then, we split off in to interviews. Two managers interviewed me for about 45 minutes. This was also a behavioral interview. They managers were quite nice and they asked many questions. After, there was a short logic test (about a half hour) which is not something you can prepare for. It was pretty easy. Overall, it was not too bad.

Interview Questions

• When was a time when you were on a team and did not fully pull your weight? When was a time you were criticized and you did not agree? Tell me about a time you provided above and beyond customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Covington, KY) in May 2015.

Interview

The process started when I got an email from an HR rep scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview took an hour and was about half job description and half behavioral interview. The questions were pretty easy and mostly about customer service. I think as long as your answers make sense they move you on to the next step. They told me at the end of the phone call that they wanted to schedule an in person interview but she didn't have any dates yet so she would get back to me. She called me about a week later to set up the in person interview but the date was for about two weeks later. It was almost a month between the phone interview and the in person interview. Before the interview I had to complete another application online with work history going back 10 years and addresses going back 5. The in person interview took about 3 hours. You show up and go through most ofnit wirh a group (my group had about 10 people). The first hour was a presentation over the company. Then we went on a brief tour (just the floor you'll be working on, the training area, and the cafeteria). After the tour we went individually for our interviews. You are interviewed by 2 hiring managers for about an hour. They ask a lot of the same questions as the phone interview and they have the notes from that interview so you're supposed to try and give different answers. I didn't have the 'good cop-bad cop' experience other people have mentioned, both interviewers were nice to me. After the interview you take a exam that measures your reasoning and ability to use logic. No biggie and no way to study for that. That was it for the interview. I interviewed on a Wednesday and received an offer of employment that Friday although it took 3 more weeks to actually start.

Interview Questions

• What does good customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you received excellent customer service and tell us why that was excellent.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you received criticism that you did not agree with and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    • Why Fidelity? (They ask this several different times in several different ways)   Answer Question
    • What do you anticipate being your biggest struggle if you get the job?   Answer Question
    • What are your normal study habits?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They tell you the rate and you take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews, very straight forward and to the point. The first interview was a national recruiter that called to talk more about the position and why you would want to work for fidelity. The next interview is an actual behavioral question phone interview with a recruiter from Fidelity. If they choose to move along with the process you will be invited to do an in person interview, I interviewed with about 12 other people...after hearing a power-point 2 managers come and interview 2:1, basically the same behavioral questions asked in the second phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you study? (Regarding the Series 7 & 63) What does excellent customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview focused on explaining the responsibilities and nature of the job. The HR representative was a national recruiter. She wanted to make sure I was aware that this was a call center-type job, and that I was okay with the nature of that job. Several behavioral interview questions, mostly just asking me to talk about my experience. They're not really concerned with your knowledge of finance or investments, but want to know that you're good at working with others in customer service type environments. Second phone interview was a full-length 30 minute behavioral interview. I prepared for this a lot and had notes on hand, which made it easier. Lots of "give me an example of a time when___," etc. The one thing that really caught me off-guard was they're not just concerned with your experiences in administering customer service, but how/why you perceive customer service to be excellent. I got asked about a time I received exceptional customer service and why. Also got asked about a place I frequent for shopping/etc, because of their excellent customer service, and to explain why I frequent that place. This one tripped me up a lot, but I think they just wanted to understand what you identify as "exceptional customer service," and that you would aim to bring that to Fidelity. I was offered an on-site interview immediately over the phone, for literally two days later. In addition, the HR rep who interviewed me called me back a day later, to provide feedback and advice for my interview, which I thought was incredibly helpful. The on-site interview was about three hours total. There were six other people interviewing. We started off by quickly meeting all the HR people who had interviewed us over the phone, then were taken to a conference room where we were given a presentation by one of the lead managers, on why Fidelity is great, cutting-edge, innovating, etc. The presenter discussed benefits, and trajectory of the job. It's good to ask questions and express interest here, especially in the growth and distinction of the firm. Every so often, the presenter would ask "so what did you guys learn from ____" (usually a video integrated with the slideshow.) Be on point, demonstrate that you're paying attention and you're interested. Then two current Financial Representatives came in to answer any questions we had. We were given a brief tour of the place (mostly emphasizing the call centers where we'd work). The financial reps were really friendly and easy to talk to, and kept it laid back and casual. Then we were taken to a conference room where we waited for the individual interviews. The interviews were 2:1, meaning two current managers at Fidelity, and then just you, the interviewee. Perhaps I lucked out, as others seem to have expressed other experiences on here, but my interview was really more of a structured chat than a badgering interview where you're getting grilled with questions. Right off the bat, the interviewers emphasized that it was informal and that they just wanted to learn more about my experiences. Again, this was BEHAVIORAL BASED. Many questions repeated from the behavioral phone interview. They love hearing examples and stories of your background in dealing with others. I was given a "role-play" question where I had to explain how I'd handle a hypothetical situation and what sort of advice I'd give. They want to know what customer service means to you, how you've given it, what you remember of it given to you, and how that affects the way you'd work at Fidelity. They also want to know about your study habits (particularly with regard to the imminent Series 7 & 63). Be able to elaborate on your organizational and study habits. Oh, and then there's a silly little "cognitive exam" at the end but it's really straightforward. It doesn't really count for much. I think they just want to verify that you're a functional human. Which, you probably are if you're applying there.

Interview Questions

• Explain what "world class customer service" means to you? Give an example of a time you helped someone come to a conclusion for a problem they didn't know they needed help with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Either accept or no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Lone Tree, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online a recruiter contacted me via email setting up a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes, asking primarily experience and behavioral questions. At the conclusion of this interview I was invited to an on-site interview. Once there, the 7 candidates met in a room and watched/listened to a presentation on Fidelity, what they're all about, and why it was a good idea to work for them. This process allows questions and comments so be sure to chime in if you have any reservations or curiosities. Next, each person is taken on a tour of the floor you'll be working on and finally brought into a room with two managers to conduct the in person interview. The questions are very similar to those asked on the phone and very relaxed as well. After such interview, you are required to take a cognitive thinking assessment which requires no studying. It merely tests your ability to think and use logic. Overall, the interview and presentation got me very excited about the potential of working at Fidelity. The staff all seemed happy, invested, and warm. I was offered a position via phone the following day and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you received "world class" customer service and a time in which you delivered excellent customer service.   2 Answers