Fidelity Investments Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.9

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in April 2015.

Interview

I had an interview on campus with a recruiter. I had a phone interview today and it was about 8 minutes long. She told me that the job pays $16.83/hr with a work shift between 7:30a-11:30p and you have to be extremely flexible because there's not a traditional work schedule for the job. I didn't have a problem with the pay, but she said this is definitely A CALL CENTER JOB. Do not mistake that. The pay is non negotiable. If you're okay with being on the phone 100% of the time talking to customers, this is the position for you.

Interview Questions

I needed a more challenging role.

Other Interview Reviews for Fidelity Investments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Lone Tree, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online a recruiter contacted me via email setting up a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes, asking primarily experience and behavioral questions. At the conclusion of this interview I was invited to an on-site interview.

Once there, the 7 candidates met in a room and watched/listened to a presentation on Fidelity, what they're all about, and why it was a good idea to work for them. This process allows questions and comments so be sure to chime in if you have any reservations or curiosities.

Next, each person is taken on a tour of the floor you'll be working on and finally brought into a room with two managers to conduct the in person interview. The questions are very similar to those asked on the phone and very relaxed as well. After such interview, you are required to take a cognitive thinking assessment which requires no studying. It merely tests your ability to think and use logic.

Overall, the interview and presentation got me very excited about the potential of working at Fidelity. The staff all seemed happy, invested, and warm. I was offered a position via phone the following day and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you received "world class" customer service and a time in which you delivered excellent customer service.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview focused on explaining the responsibilities and nature of the job. The HR representative was a national recruiter. She wanted to make sure I was aware that this was a call center-type job, and that I was okay with the nature of that job. Several behavioral interview questions, mostly just asking me to talk about my experience. They're not really concerned with your knowledge of finance or investments, but want to know that you're good at working with others in customer service type environments.

Second phone interview was a full-length 30 minute behavioral interview. I prepared for this a lot and had notes on hand, which made it easier. Lots of "give me an example of a time when___," etc. The one thing that really caught me off-guard was they're not just concerned with your experiences in administering customer service, but how/why you perceive customer service to be excellent. I got asked about a time I received exceptional customer service and why. Also got asked about a place I frequent for shopping/etc, because of their excellent customer service, and to explain why I frequent that place. This one tripped me up a lot, but I think they just wanted to understand what you identify as "exceptional customer service," and that you would aim to bring that to Fidelity. I was offered an on-site interview immediately over the phone, for literally two days later. In addition, the HR rep who interviewed me called me back a day later, to provide feedback and advice for my interview, which I thought was incredibly helpful.

The on-site interview was about three hours total. There were six other people interviewing. We started off by quickly meeting all the HR people who had interviewed us over the phone, then were taken to a conference room where we were given a presentation by one of the lead managers, on why Fidelity is great, cutting-edge, innovating, etc. The presenter discussed benefits, and trajectory of the job. It's good to ask questions and express interest here, especially in the growth and distinction of the firm. Every so often, the presenter would ask "so what did you guys learn from ____" (usually a video integrated with the slideshow.) Be on point, demonstrate that you're paying attention and you're interested. Then two current Financial Representatives came in to answer any questions we had. We were given a brief tour of the place (mostly emphasizing the call centers where we'd work). The financial reps were really friendly and easy to talk to, and kept it laid back and casual. Then we were taken to a conference room where we waited for the individual interviews.

The interviews were 2:1, meaning two current managers at Fidelity, and then just you, the interviewee. Perhaps I lucked out, as others seem to have expressed other experiences on here, but my interview was really more of a structured chat than a badgering interview where you're getting grilled with questions. Right off the bat, the interviewers emphasized that it was informal and that they just wanted to learn more about my experiences. Again, this was BEHAVIORAL BASED. Many questions repeated from the behavioral phone interview. They love hearing examples and stories of your background in dealing with others. I was given a "role-play" question where I had to explain how I'd handle a hypothetical situation and what sort of advice I'd give. They want to know what customer service means to you, how you've given it, what you remember of it given to you, and how that affects the way you'd work at Fidelity. They also want to know about your study habits (particularly with regard to the imminent Series 7 & 63). Be able to elaborate on your organizational and study habits.

Oh, and then there's a silly little "cognitive exam" at the end but it's really straightforward. It doesn't really count for much. I think they just want to verify that you're a functional human. Which, you probably are if you're applying there.

Interview Questions

• Explain what "world class customer service" means to you?
      Give an example of a time you helped someone come to a conclusion for a problem they didn't know they needed help with.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Either accept or no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

I applied through their website. About a week later a screening phone call from them a week later giving a better explanation of the position and confirming my interest. I then had a phone interview about 2 weeks later. At the conclusion of the phone interview I was advised I would be brought in for a face to face interview with two managers. I came in with two other candidates. We all were given a presentation about the company and then broke out with two designated managers. After the interview with managers an aptitude test was given to all candidates. I was called about two weeks later and advised I would be extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of when you exhibited or received extraordinary customer service. Explain why you think it was extraordinary.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in March 2015.

Interview

Standard Phone Interview. Afterwards, I was requested to interview at the branch where I would be located. A week went by and I received a call back to interview with other members of the team.

Anonymous Employee in Covington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Covington, KY) in March 2015.

Interview

The process starts when a recruiter calls you and just tells you general knowledge about the job and to make sure it is something you are still interested in. After that they will set up a phone interview with you that takes about 30 minutes. This more of a screener interview so as long as you have decent answers you will probably receive a second interview. They then bring you in for a 2nd in person interview. During this you will sit through a presentation and learn about the company and take a tour of the building. After this you have a 2 on 1 interview with the hiring managers. Most of the questions they ask in both interviews are behavioral and are even the same. After this you will take a critical thinking test. As long as you have common sense you should have no problem with that. A couple days after the interview the recruiter will call you and let you know if you have received an offer for the position.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

First interview is a phone screen. The recruiter asks basic questions like any other phone screen. If invited, you go to a 2nd interview at the company. Interview with 2 managers. Is about a 2 hour process and they ask a lot of the same questions with which you are suppose to have different answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to really probe someone for information and how you handled it   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

Called after a couple weeks to explain the position and get a feel for who you are. Second interview was behavioral questions. Took three months after the second to have final interview. Two managers interview you. Interview process can feel like you are being patronized.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult just need to be clear and concise.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later. Set up a phone screen a few days later. Educated me about the company and what the position is all about. Be ready to be on the phone 90-100 percent of the time during your employment..... I was not up to this type of work.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the financial services industry?

Give me an example when you went above and beyond in customer service.

Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

The people seemed to really enjoy working for the company. They were very knowledgable on the training process as well as the advancement and promotion process. they made me excited about the company and made their training program seem awesome

Interview Questions

• Slight Role play scenario, asking what I would do in situation with disgruntled customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They did not seem to be open to negotiations