Fidelity Investments Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.9

Financial Consultant Program Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

I applied to the Fidelity Financial Consultant Program in early January. A few days later, I received a call back from an HR representative about scheduling a phone interview, and we set up a date and time to have the phone interview. We had scheduled that the interviewer would call me at the time we specified. As time progressed past the time we set aside for the phone interview, I received no call from the HR representative. I called and emailed this representative asking if we needed to reschedule the phone interview and she never responded.

I was astonished by the lack of professionalism on the part of the HR representative, which reflected poorly on the company. For a job that required a great deal of organizational and communication skills, the supposed to be interview obviously had neither of the two.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Albuquerque, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

I filled out an application online and they called me within a few days for a phone interview. We set it up for April 3rd at 11:00 Am. I did research on the company and all things considered felt I was prepared. She called at 11:15 AM which did not set with me well. She told me about the salary and stressed that "did I have" debts, a criminal back round, had I ever been discharged from a job etc. and then moved on to the questions which were mediocre in difficultly until the last and final question.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard. Where do you see yourself in five years? Why do you want to work for Fidelity and how did you find out about this position? We were on the phone about 45 minutes and then she asked about if I had metrics or goals at my job and i said yes and explained some general goals we had as employees but were not assigned individual goals as it is a retail setting. She then asked me to give specific details of a phone call I had received at my job where I had to uncover an unspoken need that a customer had. Sorry no specifics in my brain. Something that I don't deal with but once every few years and with that it was over and she said she would not be asking me to move on with the interview process based on that. She also said I should work on my behavioral answers and reapply so I thanked her and said I would although I absolutely won't reapply. I didn't like the undertone in her voice and she sounded as though she could become irritated very quickly-don't know and its not important but I can move on and hope this helps someone who is a better fit for the company.   Answer Question

LEAP Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Morrisville, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Recruiters were at my school's career fair. Talked to them for a little bit. They told me to apply online. It seemed like they were trying to look for as many people as they can since it was almost the end of the school yea. After one week, I had one 30min phone screen. The talk was pleasant and planned for a final on-site series of interviews (2 30min behavioral, 1 30 min tech). Before the series of interview though, I was given a tour with a couple of other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral were standard questions like strongest accomplishment, most creative, etc. The tech were related to Java. Seemed like they wanted to know the basics of Java such as garbage collection, keywords like static final etc, inheritance, object orientation, etc. Basically, stuff you should have learned from your first Java course.   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in April 2015.

Interview

I had an interview on campus with a recruiter. I had a phone interview today and it was about 8 minutes long. She told me that the job pays $16.83/hr with a work shift between 7:30a-11:30p and you have to be extremely flexible because there's not a traditional work schedule for the job. I didn't have a problem with the pay, but she said this is definitely A CALL CENTER JOB. Do not mistake that. The pay is non negotiable. If you're okay with being on the phone 100% of the time talking to customers, this is the position for you.

Interview Questions

I needed a more challenging role.

Financial Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Morrisville, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call from a Veritude recruiter who saw my resume online. She left me a voicemail, which I returned, and she screened me over the phone. She indicated that I would be a match for the position and gave me the details for the interview, date and time, etc. She also sent me a link to their background and credit check service, which I filled out and didn't have any problems with.

I went in to the in-person interview and arrived fifteen minutes early, but was still 13th in line. (A total of 25 people eventually came in.) They cut off the time at which they would admit candidates at 12:05 for an interview scheduled at noon. We followed a recruiter to a conference room close to the call center (we didn't receive a formal tour), where we received information about the position as a group. We were told that they were hiring 42 people, so we weren't in competition with each other for only a few positions. Then we were taken to the second floor for one-on-one interviews with a recruiter. There were two recruiters and they each took one candidate at a time. When that recruiter finished, they gave you directions to leave; you didn't speak to the other recruiter.

The interviews went by quickly; I spent probably 20-30 minutes waiting for my turn and the interview only lasted 5 minutes at most. The recruiter only asked a couple of basic questions, nothing behavioral. I answered them and she said she thought I would be a good match for either position for which they were hiring and that she would recommend to the hiring managers that I be brought in for the next round of interviews with them, but that I wouldn't hear back until the end of the month. This interview was on April 8 and I received an email from her on the 13th notifying me that the hiring managers had decided to move forward with other candidates. I was disappointed and asked if she had any feedback, but was told that they (the recruiters) don't receive feedback on every candidate they submit to the managers. She also said "They do look for call center experience, job stability, and great customer service experience. Make sure to check out our website." This seems an odd piece of advice since it was their recruiter who contacted me in the first place after seeing my resume online and since both that recruiter and she indicated that I was qualified for the position.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

The process involved a couple of phone interviews followed by in-person interviews with three people. Offer was not made for several months. Stayed in contact with recruiter until offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Included questions about background and experience along with other typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview focused on explaining the responsibilities and nature of the job. The HR representative was a national recruiter. She wanted to make sure I was aware that this was a call center-type job, and that I was okay with the nature of that job. Several behavioral interview questions, mostly just asking me to talk about my experience. They're not really concerned with your knowledge of finance or investments, but want to know that you're good at working with others in customer service type environments.

Second phone interview was a full-length 30 minute behavioral interview. I prepared for this a lot and had notes on hand, which made it easier. Lots of "give me an example of a time when___," etc. The one thing that really caught me off-guard was they're not just concerned with your experiences in administering customer service, but how/why you perceive customer service to be excellent. I got asked about a time I received exceptional customer service and why. Also got asked about a place I frequent for shopping/etc, because of their excellent customer service, and to explain why I frequent that place. This one tripped me up a lot, but I think they just wanted to understand what you identify as "exceptional customer service," and that you would aim to bring that to Fidelity. I was offered an on-site interview immediately over the phone, for literally two days later. In addition, the HR rep who interviewed me called me back a day later, to provide feedback and advice for my interview, which I thought was incredibly helpful.

The on-site interview was about three hours total. There were six other people interviewing. We started off by quickly meeting all the HR people who had interviewed us over the phone, then were taken to a conference room where we were given a presentation by one of the lead managers, on why Fidelity is great, cutting-edge, innovating, etc. The presenter discussed benefits, and trajectory of the job. It's good to ask questions and express interest here, especially in the growth and distinction of the firm. Every so often, the presenter would ask "so what did you guys learn from ____" (usually a video integrated with the slideshow.) Be on point, demonstrate that you're paying attention and you're interested. Then two current Financial Representatives came in to answer any questions we had. We were given a brief tour of the place (mostly emphasizing the call centers where we'd work). The financial reps were really friendly and easy to talk to, and kept it laid back and casual. Then we were taken to a conference room where we waited for the individual interviews.

The interviews were 2:1, meaning two current managers at Fidelity, and then just you, the interviewee. Perhaps I lucked out, as others seem to have expressed other experiences on here, but my interview was really more of a structured chat than a badgering interview where you're getting grilled with questions. Right off the bat, the interviewers emphasized that it was informal and that they just wanted to learn more about my experiences. Again, this was BEHAVIORAL BASED. Many questions repeated from the behavioral phone interview. They love hearing examples and stories of your background in dealing with others. I was given a "role-play" question where I had to explain how I'd handle a hypothetical situation and what sort of advice I'd give. They want to know what customer service means to you, how you've given it, what you remember of it given to you, and how that affects the way you'd work at Fidelity. They also want to know about your study habits (particularly with regard to the imminent Series 7 & 63). Be able to elaborate on your organizational and study habits.

Oh, and then there's a silly little "cognitive exam" at the end but it's really straightforward. It doesn't really count for much. I think they just want to verify that you're a functional human. Which, you probably are if you're applying there.

Interview Questions

• Explain what "world class customer service" means to you?
      Give an example of a time you helped someone come to a conclusion for a problem they didn't know they needed help with.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Either accept or no.

Call Center Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted from the national office by telephone. There were two phone interviews and one face to face interview. The telephone interviews were very precise and were focused on my skills and experience. The face to face interview was conducted by two people at the site. They focused on role play, a mock telephone call, and a chance to find out the exact nature of the job. This interview completely misrepresented the job description. I was told customer care and satisfaction was the focus of each call. If the call was long, we were expected to take control of the call, but still take care of the customer. They also said there was an opportunity to research problems and call customers back. This was false. Also, questions about metrics were brushed aside. Actually, metrics were the main focus of the position. If the face to face interview had not been so misleading, I would never have accepted the job. I only worked there a little less than four months.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to irate customers?   1 Answer

Corporate Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Boston, MA).

Interview

OCR interview then they invite you to their office. First interview was 30min, fairly conversational. Second interview was at their office and it consisted of two thirty minute interviews.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral, why you want to apply for the position, etc.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

Very Simple technical questions pertaining to DB, The recruiting team was at our university the entire interview process was for 1 day, nothing out of the box questions. Simple basic Java and DB questions. Get your basics right