Fidelity Investments Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.9

Tech Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

The first round interview was with HR via phone, and the second round was with a hiring manager through phone. Each interview took about half an hour. For some reason the hiring manage sounds very annoyed and angry the whole time...

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

After applying online I was contacted by local HR to do a screening interview. It consisted of standard questions like "what do you know about financial services?" and "are you currently following the stock market?". Overall, relatively basic info to pass to the next phone interview. This one was more detailed, and they go over your resume fairly thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time where your customer service went above and beyond the normal level of expectations.   View Answer

They can only tell you that you may work a shift between 7:00am-11:00pm Monday-Saturday. No guarantee of standard hours.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Fidelity Investments in September 2014.

I applied thru the fidelity site. The day after I received a call, she was pretty straightforward about the position, the salary, the benefits, etc; she went over everything very thoroughly. I mentioned that I know somebody in the West Coast offices so she asked me to get the name. A day after I called her and gave her the name. During the interview i was asked the typical questions, if I follow the stock, why the company, etc. Now I'm waiting for the second interview, which is going to be a behavioral interview, so i have to do my homework about the company, series 7 and 63.

Interview Questions
    I'm waiting for the behavioral interview.

Management Consultant, Strategy Group Interview

Fidelity Business Consulting (aka FBC), the internal strategy group, follows a standard on campus recruiting timeline for MBA students.

WHAT THEY WANT: They are looking for MBA students who want to have financial services domain knowledge and an operating role in Fidelity as a mid-term career objective. Finance industry experience is a plus but it is not a requirement. Many successful candidates say that prior experience in people / project management has helped. What you must have is a consulting toolkit, business acumen, and problem solving orientation.

RESUME REVIEW: Make sure your resume shows problem solving/ analytical experience, strategy experience, financial services background (if you have one) or interest, and leadership/ personal Initiative.

INTERVIEWS: In the first round, they usually do two interviews (one with a Director or Management Consultant and one with a VP). Be prepared for case interviews, fit interviews, and the occasional brain teaser.

In behavioral interviews, they're going to score you on categories like Personal Impact, Communication, Cultural Fit, Leadership/ Initiative, and Financial Services Interest/ Expertise. In case interviews, they're going to score you on categories like Problem Structuring, Conceptual Thinking, and Quantitative Skills.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the VPs tend to throw you brain teasers to see how you react and reason. These can be difficult but it's no different than what the big consulting firms do.   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

I submitted three different applications and had one phone interview. Interviewer liked me and promised to call if moving forward or not. I am still waiting for a call to say sorry but we have decided to move on. Applying online is useless. I am turned off from Fidelity.

Interview Questions
    • The questions seemed basic and no level of difficulty. Perhaps it was a ploy to appear professional.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Submitted resume online for FR position at multiple branches and received a call from the recruiter within 2 weeks. Basic phone screening regarding background and interest in the position. Passed the screening and the recruiter set me up on a interview with the branch manager for the following day. I interviewed with the branch manager and other FR's, lasted about 2 hours total. Unfortunately I did not get that position, but the branch manager was impressed and recommended for another branch. Met with the Service Manger, lasted about 45minutes, basic questions on background and why I wanted to work in the industry and for fidelity. I received a call a week later to meet with the Branch Manager. The interview was pretty simple, as long has you are passionate about customer service. They really put a huge emphasis on the customer experience and we spend a great deal of time talking about my past as it relates to providing excellent customer service. The branch manager also had me roll play as if I had the position and she was a walk in. Caught me off guard, but I guess I did well!

Interview Questions
    • What are the top 5 things/characteristics that your past manager(s) would say about you?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Two phone, one in person. The first two calls are to make sure you can speak coherently over the phone, since all client interactions are done over the phone. If you pass, you then have an in person interview on a super day with two managers. Two on one.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Applied for the job from the Fidelity career's website. HR reached out to me in few days and had discussion regarding my resume for 30 minutes. Forwarded my resume to Hiring manager and I had 4 more rounds of interview after that. Entire process completed within a month.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were related to Spring, hibernate, threading, database etc.
         - how does spring mvc work
         - spring security, aop (cglib vs dynamic proxy), transactions, different jdbc templates, template pattern, singleton bean vs singleton pattern, bean life cycle.
         - types of hibernate inheritance, joins

2 online/live coding and designing questions.

Questions were quite simple and easy for me.
        Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

The interview is typically scheduled on a Tuesday (that’s when managers dedicate their whole day to interviews) they bring a between 10-15 interviewees at once, when you first go into the building, you take the elevator to the sixth floor, which is the hiring and training floor. You go into a conference room, the recruiter greets you and does a brief introduction of who they are, how long they’ve been with the company and what role they initially started in.

After about 10 minutes of debriefing, they then present a 10-12 page slideshow, detailing what Fidelity does as a company, how they have changed and how they compare to other financial companies. They go over salary (a range, contingent on experience), benefits (including health, dental, retirement and employee assistance programs), the recruiter then closes by asking if there are any additional questions, he was very transparent and did not hesitate to answer any questions.

Next, a senior representative comes in for some Q&A, this was our opportunity to find out what the reps in the position we were applying for what they did on a day to day basis, what to expect, the call volume, the atmosphere within the teams, the overall call structure and how we can be successful in our roles, if offered a position. He was very thorough and was upfront on the possible challenges we may come across, but was very optimistic and encouraging.

We are then greeted by two team managers who will be interviewing each individual, they were very inviting. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, with the standard packet of questions, the managers started by introducing their selves and giving a little background on how they began their career. The interview questions were pretty standard, from a packet, they picked about 5-6 questions and were really for answers that describe how you handled a particular situation.

I also got a tour of the work area, the cubicles are not your standard cubicle, it is nice and spread out but close enough where you still feel like you're apart of a team. The atmosphere overall was very inviting and the employees looked/seemed happy, they smile, said good morning, how are you and introduced themselves.

Interview Questions
    • This isn't necessary the most difficult question, but one you may want to prepare yourself for...

Describe a time where you received coaching, what was it for, did you agree with it and what steps did you take to improve those areas?

How have you contributed to your team to encourage positivity?

Describe your top five strengths (from StrengthFInder) and how have you used them to best help clients.
        Answer Question

Financial Customer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Covington, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Initial Phone Screening, Hour-long Phone Interview, Two-hour In-Person Interview. For the In-person interview you have a presentation about the company and position, q&a, a brief look at where the position is located in the building, followed by an hour-long interview with two of your prospective managers.

Interview Questions
    • Was there anything you wanted to tell us about yourself that you didn't have the opportunity to tell us so far in the interview?   Answer Question

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!