Fidelity Investments Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Marlborough, MA) in April 2009.

Interview

Questions relate to OO concepts, UNIX Shell scripting, regular expressions, design concepts & 1 brain teaser

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Boston, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

1?1 on campus interview first, the job was posted on the website of the career service center of the school. Submitted Cover letter and CV, then selected for the interview, 1st round is two 30min interviews, 1:1 with research analyst and research director. Then selected to the interview day in Boston, 5 1:1 interview and 1 stock pitch test

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Standard offer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Bangalore (India)) in February 2012.

Interview

I had never ever thought that I could have such a bad experience with fidelity. It started like this. I was looking for job change and I had been following Fidelity for a very long time. In fact, I had applied for some vacant positions through their online job portal also but got no feedback. This time I came to know about one of my colleagues getting shortlisted by Fidelity. I was thinking why I was not called up for the interview though we both had uploaded our updated CVs on the most searched job portals and she only got a call. Anyways I talked to her and she passed me the Fidelity HR's personal no. to set up a discussion. I had a very small conversation with her and she asked me to send my CV. Next day she called me up and asked about many things and also scheduled the interview. Then, she called me up again after 10-15 mins and told me that she doubted about me joining fidelity (bangalore office) as I am not a native of that place and could decline that offer in case I get another offer from my native place. I don't understand what made her think that way. When she said 'it would be risky for us to take your case forward' I got shocked absolutely and just couldn't believe what had happened in 10-15 mins because she had just scheduled the interview. I called her up and tried to convince her saying that she must have misinterpreted something and she should rethink and give me a chance. That lady had got so much attitude about her position that she was like a stone which couldn't be turned. I requested her again and again but she was saying only one thing, 'even if you clear all the rounds and it comes to my decision I wouldn't let it go further'. Then after requesting again and being sorry for anything wrong that I might have said unknowingly she scheduled my interview and sent me a short mail mentioning the time and the name of the interviewer. I was still wondering how could she conclude about me in that 5 mins conversation and just stick to her decision inspite of countless no. of apologies. The whole day I kept feeling very bad and little just because of that lady. I had some feeling that she would make sure this interview becomes the toughest possible and probably hint the interview as well. But anyways I prepared myself up to the best of my efforts, not to give the interviewer also any chance. I basically come from mathematical optimization background and have studied a course in statistics during my masters about 5-6 years back. I had been with my current organization for last two years which I joined after my doctorate. I am very confident about my skill set and experience. All my colleagues are proud of me and my knowledge. Then came the time of interview and it started with information on my current CTC. The interviewer sounded so bloody serious, and in a very bad mood. He then asked general questions like why looking for a Change etc. After that he showered on me a series of questions in core statistics with increasing level of difficulty. The intention was quite evident. He was asking all unexpected and theory based questions most of which would not be required to know in day to day work. This guy didn't even touch upon my projects that I had worked upon in my current organization. He just didn't ask the questions on the tools and techniques which i had mostly used in my work and highlighted in my CV. Though I answered most of questions and feel content at my end yet I had not expected such question as 'Baye's Theorem', 'Critical Region in Hypothesis Testing', 'Hypothesis of Unit Root Test for Stationarity'. I wonder in my occassions in our day to day modeling work we would be coming across such theoretical things. The other thing is that we would be using many things of which we just require working knowledge and don't have to bother much about their theoretical proofs or definitions. Those things can't be part of the interview, doesn't make any sense. I have never heard from anybody having faced this kind of interview. It looked he was not interview me for a statistical analyst role but probably he was interviewing me for a academic position or his intention was not to interview me but to rape me with his questions. He finished by saying 'somebody will reach out to you'

Interview Questions

• Hypothesis behind the Unit Root Test for Stationarity in Time Series   1 Answer
    • What are 4th and 5th moments   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in March 2008.

Interview

It was a very good interview process. First I was phone screened by a couple of techincal people. After a couple of days, I was called for a face-to-face and interviewed by the hirer (my would-be manager). That was more like a HR interview. Once my would-be manager was satisfied with the outcome, there was a pre-selected panel of technologist who interviewed me asking me the basics of the technology fundamentals to the architectural phases of the techincal career. Once they ALL gave me a thumbs up, the VP and the Director had the One-On-One with me clearing me for the position they were offering me. The last step was the interview with the HR for salary and benefits negotiations.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (New York, NY) in November 2008.

Interview

Very very long ...not really about expierence

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They panicked after their first canidate turned them down

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (London, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

maths tests online and then first round of interviews. First interview was questions such as 'what would you look for when analysing a real estate investment opportunity' and character questions. very nice woman. Second interview was straight into maths questions, no pen and paper allowed. More intense.

Interview Questions

• Maths questions in your head only such as if you have 14 doubles couples in a Tennis Tournament, how many knockout rounds do you need to have your winners.   2 Answers

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Morrisville, NC) in September 2013.

Interview

You are first contacted by a recruiter from Veritude. They are very personable. They prepare you for the 2 hour interview process. Fidelity presents you with a Powerpoint demo about the company in a board room with about 6-10 other candidates. You are then taken one by one into a smaller room with 2 members of management for a 45 minute interview.

The offered schedule was 12pm to 830pm EST

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Westlake, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

It took 2 weeks from the online application to get a call from a recruiter who scheduled a screening phone interview. Phone interview was a 30 min interview with another hour long phone interview with another recruiter. 1 week later there was an other interview in person at the fidelity facilities. The entire process took 2 hours, included tour and presentation followed by an in person interview. It takes 7-10 days for an offer to be extended. The interview is not really difficult. The format of the interview was unexpected. I was expecting a 1:1 interview but ended up with two managers interviewing me. (on a sidenote, they may try to good cop bad cop you. Do NOT let that get to you).

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with underperformers on your team as a team lead?   1 Answer

Negotiation

standard package, no negotiation.

Software Engineer/Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in January 2013.

Interview

I got a call in for a production support role. Totally 4 rounds. 1. Phone interview. 2. Technical (Video conferencing - as i was in chennai and the role was for bangalore.For local guys its face to face) 3. Technical round 2 interbiew (video conf again). 4. HR discussion.

Negotiation

I got an extra 50 grand(9% extra from initial offer. But if u negotiate tough can make it for another 5-7%..(may be if they like you)

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Westlake, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter and had a pre-screen phone interview then scheduled and had a phone interview. After phone interview, I had an in-person interview with two managers and took a test.