Fidelity Investments Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.9

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

Spoke with Recruiter over the phone. Questions were all about why I was looking to leave and why Fidelity. Also no relocation package. More questions regarding project management than technology.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

First round phone interview: talked about work I did in my previous internships. Second round: flew me into their HQ in Boston, met with 6 different people, 2 MDs, 2 PMs, 2 analysts. They were all very nice but it was quite tiring as it was one after the other, all with different questions and interview styles. Nothing too technical which was surprising, and didn't even grill me on stock pitches or market outlooks

Interview Questions

• Questions mostly on thought process etc   1 Answer

Software Engineer/Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

Used a recruiter and they suggested that I try for this company even though I wanted to get into a tech company at first. I first had a phone screen before meeting with the hiring manager. Next, I met with another manager and then a few team members. I was asked about work experience, asked to solve some programming problems.

Systems Services Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Research Triangle Park, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

This was the worst interview I've ever experienced in my life! They were absolutely unprepared. I interviewed with 2 individuals and neither had reviewed my resume. There was no conference room reserved so my interview took place in the lobby. This interview was very uncomfortable and their questions were somewhat personal and all over the place. They asked me questions and upon me answering back, they gave no eye contact. Their eyes were focused everywhere else but on the person they were interviewing. They took 5 mins to go talk among themselves and asked me to write a few sentences on why I wanted to work for them. I so badly felt like writing I DON'T and walking out, but I was trying to stay professional. However, I refuse to ever stay for an interview like that ever again. Next time, I will gladly excuse myself.

I definitely have no intentions of ever applying with them again.

Interview Questions

• Why were you laid off? Were you the only person laid off?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews, very straight forward and to the point. The first interview was a national recruiter that called to talk more about the position and why you would want to work for fidelity. The next interview is an actual behavioral question phone interview with a recruiter from Fidelity. If they choose to move along with the process you will be invited to do an in person interview, I interviewed with about 12 other people...after hearing a power-point 2 managers come and interview 2:1, basically the same behavioral questions asked in the second phone interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you study? (Regarding the Series 7 & 63)

What does excellent customer service mean to you?

Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Smithfield, RI) in May 2015.

Interview

Fidelity utilized an online behaviorial based format for the first interview. After review and acceptance, I was welcomed to interview with team leads in Smithfield, Rhode Island. After answering about 15-18 behavioral questions, I got feedback on the position within two days.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when... Have you ever been given feedback? How did you respond?   1 Answer

Financial Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

First interview was over the phone and consisted of basic questions. I was contacted a week after to schedule a in-person interview with two of the managers at the main office. The in-office interview consisted of similar questions but they were more specific to Fidelity. After this I received an offer about a week and a half after and accepted it within the day. Following the offer I was required to submit to a background check and a drug-screen.

Overall, my experience with the staffing personal at Fidelity was very welcoming and positive. They were very timely and polite.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Interview

I applied to the Fidelity Financial Consultant Program in early January. A few days later, I received a call back from an HR representative about scheduling a phone interview, and we set up a date and time to have the phone interview. We had scheduled that the interviewer would call me at the time we specified. As time progressed past the time we set aside for the phone interview, I received no call from the HR representative. I called and emailed this representative asking if we needed to reschedule the phone interview and she never responded.

I was astonished by the lack of professionalism on the part of the HR representative, which reflected poorly on the company. For a job that required a great deal of organizational and communication skills, the supposed to be interview obviously had neither of the two.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview focused on explaining the responsibilities and nature of the job. The HR representative was a national recruiter. She wanted to make sure I was aware that this was a call center-type job, and that I was okay with the nature of that job. Several behavioral interview questions, mostly just asking me to talk about my experience. They're not really concerned with your knowledge of finance or investments, but want to know that you're good at working with others in customer service type environments.

Second phone interview was a full-length 30 minute behavioral interview. I prepared for this a lot and had notes on hand, which made it easier. Lots of "give me an example of a time when___," etc. The one thing that really caught me off-guard was they're not just concerned with your experiences in administering customer service, but how/why you perceive customer service to be excellent. I got asked about a time I received exceptional customer service and why. Also got asked about a place I frequent for shopping/etc, because of their excellent customer service, and to explain why I frequent that place. This one tripped me up a lot, but I think they just wanted to understand what you identify as "exceptional customer service," and that you would aim to bring that to Fidelity. I was offered an on-site interview immediately over the phone, for literally two days later. In addition, the HR rep who interviewed me called me back a day later, to provide feedback and advice for my interview, which I thought was incredibly helpful.

The on-site interview was about three hours total. There were six other people interviewing. We started off by quickly meeting all the HR people who had interviewed us over the phone, then were taken to a conference room where we were given a presentation by one of the lead managers, on why Fidelity is great, cutting-edge, innovating, etc. The presenter discussed benefits, and trajectory of the job. It's good to ask questions and express interest here, especially in the growth and distinction of the firm. Every so often, the presenter would ask "so what did you guys learn from ____" (usually a video integrated with the slideshow.) Be on point, demonstrate that you're paying attention and you're interested. Then two current Financial Representatives came in to answer any questions we had. We were given a brief tour of the place (mostly emphasizing the call centers where we'd work). The financial reps were really friendly and easy to talk to, and kept it laid back and casual. Then we were taken to a conference room where we waited for the individual interviews.

The interviews were 2:1, meaning two current managers at Fidelity, and then just you, the interviewee. Perhaps I lucked out, as others seem to have expressed other experiences on here, but my interview was really more of a structured chat than a badgering interview where you're getting grilled with questions. Right off the bat, the interviewers emphasized that it was informal and that they just wanted to learn more about my experiences. Again, this was BEHAVIORAL BASED. Many questions repeated from the behavioral phone interview. They love hearing examples and stories of your background in dealing with others. I was given a "role-play" question where I had to explain how I'd handle a hypothetical situation and what sort of advice I'd give. They want to know what customer service means to you, how you've given it, what you remember of it given to you, and how that affects the way you'd work at Fidelity. They also want to know about your study habits (particularly with regard to the imminent Series 7 & 63). Be able to elaborate on your organizational and study habits.

Oh, and then there's a silly little "cognitive exam" at the end but it's really straightforward. It doesn't really count for much. I think they just want to verify that you're a functional human. Which, you probably are if you're applying there.

Interview Questions

• Explain what "world class customer service" means to you?
      Give an example of a time you helped someone come to a conclusion for a problem they didn't know they needed help with.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Either accept or no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Lone Tree, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online a recruiter contacted me via email setting up a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes, asking primarily experience and behavioral questions. At the conclusion of this interview I was invited to an on-site interview.

Once there, the 7 candidates met in a room and watched/listened to a presentation on Fidelity, what they're all about, and why it was a good idea to work for them. This process allows questions and comments so be sure to chime in if you have any reservations or curiosities.

Next, each person is taken on a tour of the floor you'll be working on and finally brought into a room with two managers to conduct the in person interview. The questions are very similar to those asked on the phone and very relaxed as well. After such interview, you are required to take a cognitive thinking assessment which requires no studying. It merely tests your ability to think and use logic.

Overall, the interview and presentation got me very excited about the potential of working at Fidelity. The staff all seemed happy, invested, and warm. I was offered a position via phone the following day and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you received "world class" customer service and a time in which you delivered excellent customer service.   2 Answers