Fidelity Investments Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

I applied online and had an interview via video. It took ~45 minutes and they really promoted Fidelity Investments. It was really relaxed and the questioning was forward. Interviewer was polite and understanding when I didn't have an answer for a question.

Interview Questions
    • I was mainly asked about basic OOP concepts and how they apply. They also asked about previous experience and projects. One or two 'trick' questions but no crazy puzzles or expectations.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Met at Career fair and talked with recruiters and was then invited to an on campus interview which then led to an on site interview. They were incredibly thoughtful and reimbursed me for gas and paid for the hotel room and a $50 card to use at the hotel for dinner.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were typical behavioral question with one pertaining to my course load that could be relevant for the department.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

I got a phone screen by applying on the website for technical internships. I was emailed for the phone screen within a week. Phone screen was around 15 minutes long. Was told that I would be contacted later for further steps. They never contacted me again after that, so I did not get an offer.

Intern Interview

I applied online and was reached out to by email and phone call for a phone interview by the recruiter. The phone interview took 30 minutes, and the questions were very generic/predictable questions. For example, "Tell me about your summer intern last year?", "What projects did you do?", etc. The recruiter was extremely nice and the interview was easy. The phone interview by the recruiter just gave them an idea of your personality and which types of internships they could refer you to (based on your experiences, etc). Following this interview, I was reached out to by a certain 'department' for another phone interview with not the recruiter, but the main people who 'worked' for that department. The phone interview was also 30-40 minutes and they mainly explained to me what the responsibilities of the internship were. I had to try to understand a lot of unknown terms to be prepared to ask questions about the responsibilities.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Investments.

It took them a long time to respond after I originally applied, but you do eventually hear from them. First you have a phone interview, then they bring you in for a manager interview. Two managers will be in there, and it seems like they play a good cop bad cop, I think that is to see how you respond to a potentially negative customer on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • As far as interview questions are concerned, they had standard interview questions like "time you faced a difficult situation at a job" "proudest moment" etc.   Answer Question

Processor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments.

Takes a long time to go through the process. They drag their feet sometimes dealing with red tape, management and laziness. Managers were were quite full of themselves with no basis in the real world. Take like people who only worked at this company right out of college. No scope of life beyond their world.

Interview Questions
    • Same boring, nonsense, questions employers ask when they have no clue how to interview or evaluate.   Answer Question
    Painfully long. Slow.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in February 2015.

The interview process was set by email for an appointed day and time for a telephone interview from the Texas Office. The interview last 30 minutes with the first 15 going over resume and the last 15 answering interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest obstacle that you had to overcome at your last job?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH
    Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in February 2015.

I had applied to Fidelity before, and never heard back regarding my applications until recently. I previously came from a similar company and was more than qualified. I was so interested in working for Fidelity that I was willing to take a huge pay cut to work there. I first had a phone screening for over an hour, with a recruiter. She was very nice and said it wasn't her job to make hiring decisions, so she could coach me and help get me further along in the process. It was a difficult screening, she asked a lot of behavioral questions, and really pushed me for great answers. After the phone call, I felt like I had a firm grasp on what they were looking for, and how to prepare. When I got the invitation to an in-person interview, I was very excited! I fully researched for one week. The interview was at the Merrimack NH office, there were a few other candidates waiting. We were greeted by a woman who was very pleasant and we were told we would be given a presentation by one of their top performers, and then each candidate would be taken to a room to be interviewed by two "hiring managers in training". The presentation was FANTASTIC, speaker was very engaging and funny. I felt good about my presence there, I was the ONLY ONE who asked questions. I was told by the presenter that my questions were great and that he loved the way I thought. It seemed I made a very good first impression. After the presentation, we were given a tour of the call center area. After the tour, myself and the other candidates waited for our managers to come get us for our interviews. While I was waiting, myself and the presenter spoke about my background, and he said it sounded like I would be a great fit. He also made a comment that the hiring managers had "saved the best for last" because I was the last one to be retrieved. THEY, without hearing what the presenter said, ALSO made the same comment. This further added to my confidence during the interview, since the hiring managers had an hour to peruse our resumes. I thought the interview itself went very well. Although I practice interviewing, I'm still a bit of a nervous speaker, until I've spoken for a few minutes. So I did give some nervous answers that weren't completely what I meant to say at first. However, I felt I did a great job with the questions and some of them were similar to those I was asked over the phone. I spoke from the heart, and felt I did a very good job of conveying my skills and experience. After the interview, the managers talked to me for 10 minutes while they walked me over to the security area, and took my temp badge. We shook hands and they said I would hear back very soon. When I left, I felt very happy about the presentation and interview. I felt I represented myself well. I figured a few nervous answers in the beginning would be understandable, we are all human. I thought for sure I would get a call back to say I had the customer rep job, or something else (since I also mentioned other positions I would be interested in). I got a phone call THE NEXT DAY, someone left me a message stating that I did not get the job, but that she had feedback to offer me. I called her back, and was utterly SHOCKED by the feedback I received. My words were SO CUT DOWN as being complete answers to questions, and the abbreviated answers I was told I gave were only a small part of what I said. When I corrected her and told her what I actually did say, very nicely, she said curtly, "Well I didn't call you back so that you could defend yourself, I'm just giving you feedback." I told her I completely understood but that I felt my words were very misconstrued and cut down. She said that the biggest question to them was "Why Fidelity?" because they hear all the time that they are a great company with great benefits, and they were looking for a better answer than "I need a job", which my long answer actually got cut down to. I couldn't believe it! I had told the interviewers that I had always been interested in Fidelity but never got a call back before (they actually apologized), and that of course I was anxious to return to work, and I couldn't think of a better place to work than Fidelity because of their products and services which I was passionate about. I can safely say that I have NEVER, in all my years, had the experience where I felt like I had the job in the bag, when in actuality it was the opposite. I also felt like the "feedback call" could have been handled better, as I felt I was disrespected due to the tone of the woman on the phone. If I had to give advice to someone who really wants to work there, it would be choose each word you say VERY CAREFULLY even if you have to ask for a pause, and practice your behavioral questions, especially if you get nervous. It was so important to me to interview for this company, but the way I was ultimately treated really devastated me.

Interview Questions
    • Why Fidelity?
      Tell me about your crowning achievement.
      Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client.
      How would you feel about being micro-managed?
      How do you adapt to change?
      How well do you take criticism?

Answer Question

Equity Research AssociateInterview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in February 2015.

1-on-1 phone interview with an analyst. Talks about background experience, technical questions (walk me through a DCF). It was a Quick 30 minutes. Followed up with final round interviews in Boston office. Case studies, very out-of-the-box questions, technical stuff, fit questions.. fast paced, quick thinking. Very hard to prepare for.. best advice is to read up investing books, blogs, and newspapers. You really have to go in with a good understanding of what makes a great company and be able to demonstrate your interest in the markets.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to put a price on the Mona Lisa what would it be?   Answer Question

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fidelity Investments in February 2015.

very profeesional well structured met face to face with hiring manager began the interview with questions about my experience and work history shared similar stories about having worked in the bank sector and how things have changed over the years

Interview Questions
    • do you think you may be overqualified for this one particular position   View Answer