Fidelity Investments Interview Questions in Manchester, NH

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview focused on explaining the responsibilities and nature of the job. The HR representative was a national recruiter. She wanted to make sure I was aware that this was a call center-type job, and that I was okay with the nature of that job. Several behavioral interview questions, mostly just asking me to talk about my experience. They're not really concerned with your knowledge of finance or investments, but want to know that you're good at working with others in customer service type environments.

Second phone interview was a full-length 30 minute behavioral interview. I prepared for this a lot and had notes on hand, which made it easier. Lots of "give me an example of a time when___," etc. The one thing that really caught me off-guard was they're not just concerned with your experiences in administering customer service, but how/why you perceive customer service to be excellent. I got asked about a time I received exceptional customer service and why. Also got asked about a place I frequent for shopping/etc, because of their excellent customer service, and to explain why I frequent that place. This one tripped me up a lot, but I think they just wanted to understand what you identify as "exceptional customer service," and that you would aim to bring that to Fidelity. I was offered an on-site interview immediately over the phone, for literally two days later. In addition, the HR rep who interviewed me called me back a day later, to provide feedback and advice for my interview, which I thought was incredibly helpful.

The on-site interview was about three hours total. There were six other people interviewing. We started off by quickly meeting all the HR people who had interviewed us over the phone, then were taken to a conference room where we were given a presentation by one of the lead managers, on why Fidelity is great, cutting-edge, innovating, etc. The presenter discussed benefits, and trajectory of the job. It's good to ask questions and express interest here, especially in the growth and distinction of the firm. Every so often, the presenter would ask "so what did you guys learn from ____" (usually a video integrated with the slideshow.) Be on point, demonstrate that you're paying attention and you're interested. Then two current Financial Representatives came in to answer any questions we had. We were given a brief tour of the place (mostly emphasizing the call centers where we'd work). The financial reps were really friendly and easy to talk to, and kept it laid back and casual. Then we were taken to a conference room where we waited for the individual interviews.

The interviews were 2:1, meaning two current managers at Fidelity, and then just you, the interviewee. Perhaps I lucked out, as others seem to have expressed other experiences on here, but my interview was really more of a structured chat than a badgering interview where you're getting grilled with questions. Right off the bat, the interviewers emphasized that it was informal and that they just wanted to learn more about my experiences. Again, this was BEHAVIORAL BASED. Many questions repeated from the behavioral phone interview. They love hearing examples and stories of your background in dealing with others. I was given a "role-play" question where I had to explain how I'd handle a hypothetical situation and what sort of advice I'd give. They want to know what customer service means to you, how you've given it, what you remember of it given to you, and how that affects the way you'd work at Fidelity. They also want to know about your study habits (particularly with regard to the imminent Series 7 & 63). Be able to elaborate on your organizational and study habits.

Oh, and then there's a silly little "cognitive exam" at the end but it's really straightforward. It doesn't really count for much. I think they just want to verify that you're a functional human. Which, you probably are if you're applying there.

Interview Questions

• Explain what "world class customer service" means to you?
      Give an example of a time you helped someone come to a conclusion for a problem they didn't know they needed help with.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Either accept or no.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

I had applied to Fidelity before, and never heard back regarding my applications until recently. I previously came from a similar company and was more than qualified. I was so interested in working for Fidelity that I was willing to take a huge pay cut to work there. I first had a phone screening for over an hour, with a recruiter. She was very nice and said it wasn't her job to make hiring decisions, so she could coach me and help get me further along in the process. It was a difficult screening, she asked a lot of behavioral questions, and really pushed me for great answers. After the phone call, I felt like I had a firm grasp on what they were looking for, and how to prepare. When I got the invitation to an in-person interview, I was very excited! I fully researched for one week. The interview was at the Merrimack NH office, there were a few other candidates waiting. We were greeted by a woman who was very pleasant and we were told we would be given a presentation by one of their top performers, and then each candidate would be taken to a room to be interviewed by two "hiring managers in training". The presentation was FANTASTIC, speaker was very engaging and funny. I felt good about my presence there, I was the ONLY ONE who asked questions. I was told by the presenter that my questions were great and that he loved the way I thought. It seemed I made a very good first impression. After the presentation, we were given a tour of the call center area. After the tour, myself and the other candidates waited for our managers to come get us for our interviews. While I was waiting, myself and the presenter spoke about my background, and he said it sounded like I would be a great fit. He also made a comment that the hiring managers had "saved the best for last" because I was the last one to be retrieved. THEY, without hearing what the presenter said, ALSO made the same comment. This further added to my confidence during the interview, since the hiring managers had an hour to peruse our resumes. I thought the interview itself went very well. Although I practice interviewing, I'm still a bit of a nervous speaker, until I've spoken for a few minutes. So I did give some nervous answers that weren't completely what I meant to say at first. However, I felt I did a great job with the questions and some of them were similar to those I was asked over the phone. I spoke from the heart, and felt I did a very good job of conveying my skills and experience. After the interview, the managers talked to me for 10 minutes while they walked me over to the security area, and took my temp badge. We shook hands and they said I would hear back very soon. When I left, I felt very happy about the presentation and interview. I felt I represented myself well. I figured a few nervous answers in the beginning would be understandable, we are all human. I thought for sure I would get a call back to say I had the customer rep job, or something else (since I also mentioned other positions I would be interested in). I got a phone call THE NEXT DAY, someone left me a message stating that I did not get the job, but that she had feedback to offer me. I called her back, and was utterly SHOCKED by the feedback I received. My words were SO CUT DOWN as being complete answers to questions, and the abbreviated answers I was told I gave were only a small part of what I said. When I corrected her and told her what I actually did say, very nicely, she said curtly, "Well I didn't call you back so that you could defend yourself, I'm just giving you feedback." I told her I completely understood but that I felt my words were very misconstrued and cut down. She said that the biggest question to them was "Why Fidelity?" because they hear all the time that they are a great company with great benefits, and they were looking for a better answer than "I need a job", which my long answer actually got cut down to. I couldn't believe it! I had told the interviewers that I had always been interested in Fidelity but never got a call back before (they actually apologized), and that of course I was anxious to return to work, and I couldn't think of a better place to work than Fidelity because of their products and services which I was passionate about. I can safely say that I have NEVER, in all my years, had the experience where I felt like I had the job in the bag, when in actuality it was the opposite. I also felt like the "feedback call" could have been handled better, as I felt I was disrespected due to the tone of the woman on the phone. If I had to give advice to someone who really wants to work there, it would be choose each word you say VERY CAREFULLY even if you have to ask for a pause, and practice your behavioral questions, especially if you get nervous. It was so important to me to interview for this company, but the way I was ultimately treated really devastated me.

Interview Questions

• Why Fidelity?
      Tell me about your crowning achievement.
      Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client.
      How would you feel about being micro-managed?
      How do you adapt to change?
      How well do you take criticism?

Associate (Tax-Exempt) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH).

Interview

Applied Online, Had a Phone Interview w/ HR to discuss why I applied, what I was looking for, and was explained about the position, following a second Phone Call, This one we discussed the potential of an "official" phone interview, We discussed my past experiences and how it lender itself to the position, conversation was heavy on looking for my capacity and/or experience with customer service, team work, handling difficult situations, it wasn't a formal phone interview, it was more of a casual "prep" for the potential of another Interview, very very helpful hiring manager, she discussed where I needed work, in respects to how I answered my questions, being able to be clear and concise, having specific examples that could be explained with ease, and display my abilities to communicate which was a the 2nd Phone Interview, a recorded phone interview, Questions asking similar questions to that which she used to prep me, an example of what I considered to be " world class customer service", a time where I had a difficult project and/or challenge and what I did to resolve it or attempt to resolve it, the steps taken ( critical thinking abilities), my ideas of team work, and where I find I would fit in a team- Round 3 was in-person interview, part one is a presentation " Day in the life", then 2 managers sit down with you for about 45 min, similar questions to those of phone interview, as well as the " where do you see yourself, short-term, longterm" " what are your goals in terms of continuing education" " how do you feel about getting feedback, can you handle criticism" - It was an enjoyable interview, very much a chance to show everything you got, very structured, and since they write all your answers down you must be very careful not to get off base, keep good eye contact, ask questions about what makes a successful candidate, about the company, more specifically the department, the structure, and training program, skills to be qualified candidate.... I heard back w/in a week, however start date was 5 weeks out due to training class schedule, all this however was up told to me from day1, They are very honest, and don't give any false expectations, honest hiring process, and good experience!

Interview Questions

• Provide me with a time where you received "world class customer service", elaborate what actions qualified the experience , and what and how make you see this as a time where someone went "above and beyond"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2014.

Interview

You go through 2 phone interviews with 2 separate recruiters. The first is just a simple phone screening, and the second is more of a behavioral interview. After this, you get moved on to where you go to the office you are applying at and you go through a 4 hour session consisting of a presentations on Fidelity, tour of the facility, a face-to-face interview with 2 hiring managers, and a critical thinking assessment. Keep in mind this 4 hour interview is a group of 10-15 candidates so do everything you can to stick out, ask questions, and be outgoing!

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral interview questions. The tougher questions are in the face-to-face interview. Nothing specific was tough just know a lot about the company, how you'll succeed in job, your leadership skills, team working skills, etc. Basic interview knowledge to be prepared with.   Answer Question

I declined because I had an offer from another firm that fit my personal goals and current situation better. Would work for this company any other time. Excellent company, excellent benefits, and excellent opportunity available to anyone that succeeds!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in March 2014.

Interview

You are greeted by two people in HR that take you on a tour of the campus. Bring your resume because they take two copies to give to the managers that will be interviewing you. You learn about the company and then get taken to another room to do your interview with two managers. After that you are taken to another room to take a critical thinking test. Got a call later that day to inform me how the interview went.

Interview Questions

• One of the managers asked if I would recommend he go to Harvard or Yale. He was looking to see how well I could ask questions to identify which one would better fit his situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was happy with the offer.

Fund Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH).

Interview

I was called by a Fidelity recruiting staff member a few weeks after sending in my resume and was asked if I was still interested in the job along with salary requirements. He also gave me basic information about the job and said I would be sent an email for an interview soon. The interview itself was not bad at all. 2 interviews. About 30 minutes each. One with a manager in the department and then the manager of the fund accounting department. Was asked to talk about team projects in school and work. Also was asked about my past employment and the details of my previous experiences in work related projects and about work in general. Overall the interview process was one of the easier interviews I've experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project in school that required teamwork and analytical thinking.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in December 2013.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening to gauge your phone communication. At the end of the screening, we then set an appointment for a visit to the campus. You meet with an interviewing group at the campus, which includes a tour, talks from some of the current reps, and face to face with 2 floor managers, and a logic test to end the day. Afterwards, they followed up with me in a couple of days to make an offer for the job.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in December 2013.

Interview

Quick phone screening, one hr phone interview, group overview - selling us on the company, how great it is. The actual interview was actually a manager in training and interim manager who played bad cop/good cop tag-team for 1/2 hr in the live person interview. Didn't feel great about it afterwards but was offered a position the next day.

Interview Questions

• What was some negative criticism you received and how did you react?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Zero negotiation - take it or leave it.

Financial Associate Retirement and Benefits Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH) in November 2013.

Interview

My interview process consisted of two phone interviews and one final interview at the location in Merrimack. The questions were very similar throughout the process. They were all behavioral based questions. Basically how you've handled situations in the past will determine how you will perform in the future. They do want very detailed example/stories during the interviews so be sure to prepare before all of your interviews. During the in-person interview they will ask you around 8-10 different behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Give and example of a time when you gave an exceptional customer service experience?
      Tell us about a time when you worked in a group/team?
      How have you handled a bad customer experience and what steps did you take to change it?
      What steps would you take to fix a poor customer service experience from a previous coworker?

Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase is very straight forward... you don't get to negotiate.

Audit Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Merrimack, NH

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Fidelity Investments (Merrimack, NH).

Interview

Applied through University Career website. Went to office, interviewed with 4 different people for 30 minutes each. First interview was basic interview questions, then the other three were more of conversations with upper level employees, a great opportunity to ask questions and learn more about position.