Fidelity Worldwide Investment

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.2

Business Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment.

A phone interview, then assessment center.
    Phone interview was very general: What is your strengths, Why fidelity etc.
    Assessment center was 3 hours long, including a general interview with personal questions about your leadership skills, how you tackle challenges etc.; then a case study interview where I was asked to sell a refrigerator.

Mostly to test your ability to adapt quickly, and to understand your personality.

Interview Questions
    • You are the curator at an art dealership, what would you say to sell a painting to your largest patron?
      After some time, your patron is still refusing to buy. What would you do?
        Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment.

First Round was a telephone interview. It was the typical phone interview where you have countless competency questions. Such as "Describe a situation where you managed a team" . However there was also a question on how I invest and what specific I would invest in. Overall the interview was very relaxed and pleasant. I was invited immediately after the interview to an assessment center. Still waiting for the assessment center but I was told to expect a presentation, 3 interviews, 2 tests.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the most influential person person that has allowed you become who you are today? Then the follow up question was what would he/she say if we asked them to describe you.   Answer Question

Equity Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Simple application form followed by numerical and logical tests. If you pass, a longer application form is unlocked which includes a cover letter-style question as well as a stock pitch.

Next stage is a telephone interview which contained mostly competency questions, though there were a couple of investment questions such as "how would you invest £1 million?".

After passing the telephone interview, I was invited to an assessment centre, which also included a dinner with the Directors of Research the night before which was a very nice touch. Assessment centre consisted of a numerical test and three interviews in the morning (a mix of technical and competency questions, two interviews with Equity Research employees and one with HR). After lunch, around half of the candidates were sent home and the remaining candidates had two hours to read through company reports for the stock pitch exercise. We then presented/discussed our recommendation to two employees (at least one Director of Research), which lasted about one hour.

I was called within an hour of leaving the office to let me know the outcome of the day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed and how did you get over it?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment.

Highly unprofessional process.

1- Written question- 72 old and outdated . I am through this round.

2- Technical interview. Good person. through with this also

3- Managerial interview - Again good and little pressure interview. Through.

4- HR round- salary discussion and basic company profile beefing.

This much happens in single day. things are looking very professional and requirement is looks like very critical.

5- They sent a mail to submit documents . Submitted.

6- Medical test. Done.

Now comes the real turn :)

Came to know that the person handling my process has left the company :) . They start speaking in different tone. No response or offer letter for almost more than a month.

They are highly unprofessional and looks like internal politics is going on to put their own candidate in position. I tried to communicate many a times but in vein.

Client Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingswood, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment in September 2014.

The first couple of stages consisted of online tests and a telephone interview, which were both straightforward and friendly.

The third and final stage however was a traumatising experience and something nightmares are made of, quite literally. Having travelled all the way from central london to the interview, I was relatively tired and under pressure to succeed: the taxi alone cost me £18 from Redhill station and the trip took almost 2 hours.

Upon arriving, I waited at the reception for 15 minutes before being led into a small interview room with two Fidelity employees joking amongst themselves with little consideration or even notice of myself, the interviewee. Without further ado they left and began a roleplay which lasted 10 minutes (less time than I spent waiting in the reception) before being told I was unsuccessful. I then had to leave to begin my expensive and arduous journey back home.

The fact that the employees did not spend any time talking to me, so as to guide me into the process smoothly, gave new meaning to the phrase being chewed up and spat back out by the system. I am adamant that their cold attitude to potential employees is an example of what it must be like to work for them once the process is over.

Business Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment.

Online Tests

Phone Interview - Mainly competency based, however I found that mine was more of an informal chat. The interviewers are internal and really relaxed (I found).

Assessment Centre - This is a full day starting at 8:30am, finishing at 5pm and there is usually 8 other candidates. The day starts off with an introduction to the company and is followed by a group exercise. The group exercise you have to work together, but make sure you stand out as a leader (as that is what they are looking for). Next on the agenda is the pre-prepared presentation, make sure you don't rush it and have too many slides. 10 is more than enough. The interview again is competency based. Finally there is a second presentation, where you are given a piece of information and have to create a presentation.

Final Interview

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment.

I applied through their on-line system, although it is actually posted on our campus website and a campus recruiting process. They answered promptly and arranged 30 mins interview with HR manager and 30 mins interview with Director of Research. HR interview questions are regular fit questions and behavior ones. Director of Research interview questions are more technical.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment in January 2014.

I only did one phone interview where I experienced techincal difficulty in understanding what the HR was saying. Apart from this it was the usual competency based interview, she was trying to understand how much I knew of the company and of the business. She even asked a few mildly technical questions on how I would invest, given certain market conditions.

Interview Questions
    • Too many variants of the "leadership" question and of the strenghts and weaknesses question, after a while you don't have anything new to tell her!   Answer Question

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment in October 2013.

Got interview call through a consultancy firm. First there was an aptitude test of 20 questions/15 mins and then a Java/Spring/Design Pattern test of 70 questions/70 minutes.
    There was 1 technical interview, 1 managerial cum technical interview and finally HR round.
    Normally first 2 rounds would be difficult but here HR round was difficult. In technical round, some design based questions were asked and responsibilities were told, same type of questions in manager round with more emphasis on domain knowledge, designing and processes.
    In HR round, salary expectations were asked and values, past appraisals etc were asked.
    You wouldn't believe that HR round lasted for 30 minutes

Interview Questions
    • Test driven development, Agile methodology, Mockup testing   Answer Question
    I set my expectations during interview but once they release the offer, it would be based on their internal compensation policy.

Human Resources Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fidelity Worldwide Investment in July 2013.

Vague questions.
    Not competency based.
    Running late on each round I attended. 3 rounds altogether.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly easy. Obviously looking for personality over actual technical ability. Spoke volumes about the position itself.   Answer Question
    Terrible. Awful place to work. Particularly with the HR business partner