Fidessa Interview Questions & Reviews

35 interviews

2.6

Regional Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fidessa.

I was contacted by an external recruiter regarding this position. He mentioned that it is primarily a C++ role, but that they would consider my Java background as equal.

The tech stack does have some Java requirements, but also there is a proprietary company query language that is widely used and that a lot of the time, you're working specifically with this proprietary language. So be warned about that, I'm not sure exactly how much you'll have to consider this but it's never good to work too much with skills that cannot translate well to other companies.

I had a phone screen where I was considered for all kinds of positions, some very tech-support like, some more customer facing. Then I was asked some tech questions (Describe a HashTable, etc) and I killed them all, so he read the job description for this role. I was invited in for an interview the following week.

The office is quite nice (what I saw of it) and FiDi is a pretty nice area in general. Beautiful view. There was no tour but everyone was friendly. I filled out some general questions and a self evaluation, and then took a written test.

The test was pretty straight forward, some general programming questions, one question which was a bit more logic based, a few c++ specific questions (pointers and such) and then I was asked to hand write some code (mostly IO stuff, tiny bit of arithmetic).

Then there was some SQL questions, relatively easy stuff.

After that, we went over my test. Everything was okay, I made a silly mistake on one but they asked me to redo it and I found the issue immediately. They mentioned my SQL wasn't great but they said it was no big deal, they understood it was prior experience for me and that I could be brought up to speed quickly.

Then I was asked to do some whiteboarding.

Simple stuff, really. FizzBuzz (variation) to start, with the one caveat being that it must compile: a really dumb requirement for a whiteboard test. They stopped me for missing a semi colon here and whatnot. Not joking. I don't think they were really holding it too much against me, but they required it.

After that they had me find a value in a sorted array (binary search) and evaluating the time complexity of that search (log(n)).

Killed all these questions. The gentleman capped his marker, smiled at me, and said "Well I have no more questions!". They then had me ask them questions. I met two other individuals who asked me questions and I asked them questions. They didn't give me much technical other than a logic question (The ol' you have 9 balls, 1 balance scale, 8 weigh equally 1 weighs heavier, find the heavier in the minimum separations, which is 2). Actually flubbed this one a bit, but they didn't care. It's an annoying question if you haven't seen it before. I solved this in 3 steps and they actually complimented my algorithmic approach to it.

We left off positively. They used a lot of "When you work here" and wording to make me think it was all good.

The following day (friday) I was informed that an offer is likely coming. On Saturday I was asked for more personal information as paperwork was being moved around for the offer. On Tuesday I was informed that they interviewed an individual on Monday and went with them instead. They then shifted tone completely and said I was more suited for this customer facing role due to my excellent communication skills.

Not that it pays better or involves coding at all (scripting, really). Basically they felt bad about moving paperwork and making me think it was all but done by Saturday, and offered me something else to try and smooth it over and fill another role while they were at it. Except it was then mentioned to me that maybe my tech skills weren't up to their team standards, and that's why I'm better off in an environment with less coding. How exactly is FizzBuzz supposed to tell you if I'm up to standard? Ask a better question.

Anyway, that's why they offered me a different position, I think. There's no way I wasn't qualified based on their tests. They made their decision to go with someone who is better with C++ I'm sure, since I'm mostly Java (and gave them a lot of Java answers) or someone who is a bit better with SQL. But I nailed the C++ questions on the test, answered all the others fine, and only stumbled a bit on SQL, which they specifically told me is "not a big deal". Hell, they apparently have their own query language anyway, so don't judge me for needing a quick recap on the topic when I'm going to need it to learn your proprietary stuff too.

One of the easiest interviews I've ever had. They should have been more honest with me. If they said "This other candidate is just as good as you but s/he has more c++ knowledge so it's a safer choice" I would have nodded in agreement. But don't try and make me think I didn't test well, because I killed that poor excuse for a tech-test.

Interview Questions
    • None. The entire interview was incredibly predictable.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Fidessa in April 2014.

Behavioral questions and a couple of written technical questions on c++. Three people spoke with me including a manager and a developer. All of them seemed friendly and cordial.
    First met with an HR guy who explained the role and the kind of work that they do etc. Then there was a technical guy asking few behavioral and questions mostly on technologies that I am familiar with. Finally, there was a senior guy who tried to fit me in the group. Great office, wonderful view of the statue.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fidessa.

Pretty easy and straight forward interview process. I met several "managers", everyone was very positive throughout the process. One thing is that the interviews here have no real structure, all the interviewers looked like they were caught off guard. No planning.

Interview Questions
    Willingness to negotiate. A lot of HR red tape though.

Client Delivery Management Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Fidessa.

Phone Inerview, In-person Interview

Interview Questions
    • Everything was behavioural based and bit of technical hat you have enlisted in your resume   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fidessa in August 2013.

I had a phone interview with someone from NYC -- brief about my skills/experience.
    I then had an interview at the Boston office where I spoke with three people and took a short technical exam on SQL/Windows/Linux -- basic stuff, nothing hard here.

Interview Questions
    This was my first job out of college and I didn't feel like I had a lot of room to negotiate. From what I've herd HR will take any number you've quoted and treat that as a hard cap on what they will give you... so be careful what you say.

Junior Trade Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fidessa in October 2013.

Applied through the career fair and was invited for an interview after the following week.
    Interview was 2 rounds:
    Round 1: interviewed with all members of the team but one. Interview questions were mostly behavioral and fit related.
    Round 2: Interviewed with the Head of the service desk, competency/scenario based questions
    Great working environment and culture. Beautiful Office

Central Operations Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fidessa in November 2009.

Initial communication my email, 2 rounds of interview, meeting with 2 people. Basic question asked about the position, experience and the fields where a match could be found. very friendly setting for the interview, beautiful office with views on NY Harbor. Nice company with business casual culture

Interview Questions
    • most challenging situation during the last year at current job and how it was solved   Answer Question

Production Support Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Fidessa.

I had two interviews and a technical exam.

The interviews were very easy and comfortable. They asked standard interview questions such as tell us about yourself and why do you want to work here. Nothing tricky just make sure you have a lot of questions to ask as they like this.

The technical exam was made up basic SQL queries, basic IIs questions, basic Window questions, questions on Unix commands, and basic troubleshooting.

It can take from 30 minutes to an hour depending on your experience.

It is either hard or easy depending on your experience.

Interview Questions
    • Just prepare and refresh your knowledge on SQL queries, Unix commands, and basic window troubleshooting to ensure you pass the exam. I did this because it was a while since I last did SQL and it definitely helped   Answer Question
    word of advice. Make sure you ask prior to the interview your salary requirements. They can meet these requirements because they do not negotiate after you get an offer.

Systems Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Fidessa in April 2010.

A recruiter contacted me about the position and set up an in-person interview. Positions at Fidessa are not technical, so the technical test was not hard at all to me - it consists of writing a SQL statement, some UNIX commands, some general problem solving skills, etc. Then after the technical test, there was the interview with the hiring managers - they asked about past experiences, why I left, what did I do there, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Coming from a different technical background, why do you want this position?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate through the recruiter and the recruiter got back to me. My advice would be: after you get the offer, it doesn't hurt to ask about higher salary, if they say no to higher salary you can always go back to their original offer, but as a general rule, do it after you get an offer.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Fidessa in November 2011.

Spoke to them at my career fair in september, didn't hear from them til November. Received a call on monday to set up interviews for Friday. Went into interviews, had one HR interview, 3 technical interviews and one exam. Asked C/C++ questions. Logic questions, algorithms, and a propietary language question (just to see if you can figure stuff out on the spot and go from there). They called me the monday after and extended an offer and I accepted

Interview Questions
    • Took a test that consisted of: (but not limited to... I forgot some of the stuff...)

1) C/C++ differences in memory allocation
      2) Unix commands for performance (something along those lines)
      3) Proprietary language question (basic branching if/else statements)
        Answer Question
    Not much negotiating. They give you an offer and that's it, there's no real bargaining when you're a recent grad. They have a fixed number and they're set on that.

Worked for Fidessa? Contribute to the Community!