Fifth Third

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Personal Banker Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Fifth Third in March 2014.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume to a friend who was an employee there and set up an interview time with an HR manager. I spoke with the HR manager for about an hour, even though we scheduled just 30 minutes because I had many questions. She was extremely helpful and non-biased. We had a casual conversation about my qualifications and different opportunities available at Fifth Third including career paths.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, we just shared information.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that getting licensed before starting there may be more beneficial than being trained internally for series 7 licensing.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted by a recruiter who was crucial to the process and guided me through all steps of the hiring process which included a screening interview with the recruiter, followed by a interview with a branch manager then with the regional manager and then a final interview with a HR partner. all in all it took about 3 weeks. Was your typical situation based questions, Name a time when you had to do "this", what was the situation, the action, and the result. Also with regional manager went over resume nearly line by line explaining details of each prior job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Was originally offered $40,000 base pay and I countered with $42,000 and they accepted quickly.

Personal Banker

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fifth Third.

Interview Details – Interviewing was easy

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in June 2013.

Interview Details – Easy process for anyone with half a brain. I feel as though the job is not accurately described to potential employees regarding the day-to-day responsibilities of the role. HR staff is polite and generally helpful. After offer, drug test, background check, and standard onboarding procedures apply. Training is a fairly boring and painful portion of work that does not really leave one well-prepared to start on the job.

Interview Question – Just be prepared to talk about yourself and answer questions about sales skills   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in June 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was pleasant. Managers were younger than I was which questioned their ability to relate to the experience that I had to offer outside of the sales environment .

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you were takes with a project and you didn't meet the deadline. Why did not meet it and what you you change about the choices you made leading up to that point.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They did not negotiate... It was a take it or leave it offer.

Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in August 2012.

Interview Details – The 5/3 interview structure is a format-driven STAR interview. You will be asked questions like: "tell me about a time when you accomplished something that you originally didn't think you could?" You must answer by describing the Situation, the Task that was undertaken, the Action that you took & then the Result of all of that. The more quantifiable answers that you use, the better. E.g. I worked for XYZ bank as a personal banker. We were asked to achieve a sales goal of $X, which was twice last year's goal so I didn't think we'd be able to do it. I researched the tools made available to us by Marketing and discussed using the ABC plan to increase our customer cross-sell ratios at the team meeting with the other PBs and the Manager. We changed the plan a bit so that everyone was bought in. We implemented ABC plan with some extra effort during [whenever] because of [whatever]. We all worked some overtime to chip in, but to keep overtime to a minimum, we [did whatever] so that we could respect the team's work life balance. At the end of the year we exceeded goal by 10%. We were the only branch to even hit goal that year, as the typical branch was at 80% or lower to goal. We wouldn't have been able to do it if we hadn't come together as a team. Gaining the intial buy-in to the Plan as well as the excellent leadership and support provided by our Manager was what made all the differenence.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected. All answers are expected to be STAR answers. If you leave out an element of the STAR story (such as the result), you will lose significant points and will likely blow the interview.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in March 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter was very pleasant. After in person interview with Financial Center Manager, very intimidating phone interview with the Regional Manager. Every answer had two or three additional questions following. Probably the toughest interview I've ever had.

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. I later found others in my position who successfully negotiated additional vacation time.

Kalamazoo, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Fifth Third in March 2012.

Interview Details – It was lengthy but worth the wait.

Interview Question – What would you do if your boss asked you to do something unethical?   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in March 2010.

Interview Details – I met with the district manager and market manager. They seemed to busy and unprepared. They had a cookie cutter list of questions that they were looking for specific answers for.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation when you were ask to do something unexepected and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Personal Banker

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fifth Third in December 2012.

Interview Details – First is the phone interview with the recruiter. They just go over your resume, positions you held, what you did there. Be sure to talk IN DETAIL about your job responsibilities. Talks about YOURSELF. Don't say "we," say "I." I got told before that my answers were too short, so don't think keep it short and sweet. Tailor your answers towards the job. Fifth Third Personal Bankers need to be able to do cold calling, get new business, and very motivated. Then you'll move on to the Financial Center Manager and the Regional Manager. They want to hear the situation, what you did, what happened, and the outcome. They also want you to take ownership of problems. They want to hear GREAT customer service and teamwork. They told me what sets them apart from other Banks, like Chase, or BoA, is the customer service. Dress in business professional attire, bring copies of you resume, take notes.
Questions will include:
Tell me a situation you did not get along with a co-worker and how you handled it. Tell me two times you had great customer service. Tell me a time you had a great sale. What are 3 qualities in your ideal manager. Tell me a time where something happened and it worked in your favor. Tell me a time where something happened and it did not work in your favor. Tell me a time you did not agree with a company policy. Are you comfortable with speaking in groups, presenting products and features. Why do you want to work for Fifth Third Bank.
I applied to 3 branches, and really wanted one specific one. So the next day I emailed the Financial Center Manager, thanked them for speaking to me, and went over a couple things he said he wanted in a Personal Banker, stating those are best traits.
The next week the recruiter should give you a call. What's good is within a year they require Personal Bankers to get licensed.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you did not agree with a company policy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate a little, but I was happy with the compensation. It helps if you have your Bachelors Degree, and experience in sales and the financial industry.
Based on my location, the starting was 38k.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fifth Third

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fifth Third Personal Banker interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fifth Third employees and interview candidates.