Financial Engines

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.8

Summer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Financial Engines.

Recruiter called me about 4 weeks after I had applied and we discussed my resume, work history, career aspirations and reasons why I picked Financial Engines. Very basic phone interview that lasted about 20-30 minutes. I answered all questions using the S.T.A.R. format, and was asked to schedule an in-person interview right away. In-person interview was with 2 office managers and the trainer. I brought a portfolio with past project work, work experience, and certifications and seemed to impress and all their questions were based around that. Again, answered all my questions using the S.T.A.R. format. In-person interview lasted about 1 hour. According to the receptionist, there were at least 10 other potential interns for this position, but I received the offer a little over a week later.

In conclusion, prepare to answer questions about your resume, work/school experience, and/or portfolio with the STAR format. Know the company history before the phone interview. Get to the interview early; punctuality is held at a high standard. Do not be afraid to smile, everyone is extremely friendly and they understand you are nervous. Study up on basic interview questions and your resume!

Interview Questions
    • (Basic Interview questions that reflect your work experience, dedication and past projects/leadership roles)   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate. No benefits unless you were hired on after the internship ended (rare). Pay was moderately high for an intern at $18/hr working Full Time during the summer.

Researcher Interview

submitted online, interview with HR after one week, and then the Hiring Manager right the week after. They act like they want to hire some, but I realize they just pretend they want to hire people.

Interview Questions
    • only asked about my resume and rejected me right on the phone interview.   View Answer

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Financial Engines in October 2014.

The whole process took 2-3 weeks. There were two phone interviews and one onsite interview. First phone interview was with the HR recruiter and the second phone interview was with the Vice President of the Research Team. Both asked reasonable questions regarding my previous work. Then there was a full day of onsite interviews with relevant questions.

Interview Questions
    • Broad range of questions but mostly reasonable and relevant.   View Answer

Reporting Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Financial Engines in October 2014.

The Sr. Recruiter in the Talent Acquisition department made the process extremely easy! She kept me informed from the receipt of my application, through my phone interview, my face-to-face interview, and the negotiation process. Her transparency made me feel at ease throughout the process.

Also, the two face-to-face interviewers were prepared, congenial, thorough and professional.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were standardized and none were unexpected.   Answer Question
    Transparent and easy

Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Financial Engines.

Very easy and the recruiter was nice and informative. I felt I was informed all along the way in the process and would be interested in working for Financial Engines.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Financial Engines.

The process was very quick and smooth going. I was contacted by the recruiter and then had a basic skill evaluation interview along with few behavioral questions like why you want to work at Financial Engines, what are your strengths, etc. Then a technical telephonic interview was scheduled for next day only. It was all technical and basic Java questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult. All the questions were pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Administrative Project Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Financial Engines.

I applied online for the position, and then two weeks or so later I received an e-mail first from a recruiter in the HR Department, then we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was a screening to talk about past positions, education and experience. Two weeks or so after that, I had one in-person interview, then heard back again from the HR contact after about another week or two to schedule a second in-person interview. Then, I received a call with a pre-offer the following Friday, and a final offer on the following Monday. The entire interview/hiring process probably took about 6 weeks, and I was in regular contact with the HR recruiter so it felt like it was continuing to move forward even though it was a thorough and involved interview process. I learned a lot about the company and the position in the interviews, and answered a lot of detailed questions as well. It was very much an exchange of information, and I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement before coming in for the first in-person interview, but I felt like I really knew what to expect and was really excited about the company and the position during the process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very unexpected, but just make sure to be very prepared. The two most difficult questions were probably to, based on discussion of the position, describe how I could bring skills and qualities that best fit the position to the team, and also the always-thoughtful "where do you see yourself in one year and in five years?"   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Financial Engines.

The interview process was really smooth. Most of the questions are on the basics of Java, data structures, design and common computer science concepts. It shouldn't be too difficult for a Comp. Science major. The HR team is very good and communicative. They keep you in the loop at all times.

Interview Questions
    • Java, DS and Design questions. Nothing difficult in particular   Answer Question
    They surpassed my expectation in the first place, so I didn't negotiate.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Financial Engines.

3 Rounds.

Round 1: Phone Interview
    Questions about background and why you are interested in working with FE.

Round 2: Online Quiz
    Quiz on basic Object Oriented Concepts - multiple choice, 2 or 3 programming questions, one essay

Round 3: Onsite Interview
    Questions on HTML, CSS, Problem Solving, Java, Object Oriented, Algorithms

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. All questions were on basic concepts   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Financial Engines.

The Hiring process was quick in terms of scheduling interview. I did initial Recruiter call, one phone screen and one onsite interview. Got the offer same day.

Company quickly started the H1b transfer and helped me in shifting star date, during transfer from my old company.

Interview Questions
    • all problem solving questions. I was asked to design systems OR write algorithm for particular problem.   Answer Question