Financial Engines

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Financial Engines.

Interview Details – 3 Rounds.

Round 1: Phone Interview
Questions about background and why you are interested in working with FE.

Round 2: Online Quiz
Quiz on basic Object Oriented Concepts - multiple choice, 2 or 3 programming questions, one essay

Round 3: Onsite Interview
Questions on HTML, CSS, Problem Solving, Java, Object Oriented, Algorithms

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. All questions were on basic concepts   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Financial Engines.

Interview Details – The Hiring process was quick in terms of scheduling interview. I did initial Recruiter call, one phone screen and one onsite interview. Got the offer same day.

Company quickly started the H1b transfer and helped me in shifting star date, during transfer from my old company.

Interview Question – all problem solving questions. I was asked to design systems OR write algorithm for particular problem.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Financial Engines.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee. They contact you immediately and HR sets up a call if referred by an employee. First phone interview with the HR, then with the hiring manager. If they like you and you are located locally then onsite interviews with team members and few others.

Interview Question – They seemed hung up on the number of experiences. Though I met most of the requirements that they had, they wanted someone with more than 6 years of experience and I had 5 years.   View Answer

Software Internship Interview

Software Internship

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Financial Engines.

Interview Details – I applied online and got call from them

Interview Question – Average Interview   Answer Question

Investment Advisor Representative Interview

Investment Advisor Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Financial Engines in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to attend an all-day interview event. I liked that I was given a time-range to interview (between 8-4pm MST). I showed up at the earliest time as I figured everyone would be refreshed. I was greeted with a very warm welcome and everyone that was interviewing wore suits (whew, thank goodness I did as well!). I was given clear instructions and I began by filling out an application. I knew ahead of time that i needed to have previous addresses, employer info, etc. so it was easy going through the application. I would suggest you have all this information with you either in a tablet, on your smartphone or written somewhere so you can breeze through this process. Once I read the application and understood the terms of having to obtain the Series 65 and them NOT holding my 7 & 63 (must be willing to loose these FYI), I turned in my information and proceeded to interview.

I interviewed with 3 managers on the spot and they all had a series of questions in the STAR format as well as behavior based questions. They included some specific questions about the industry as well (not hard, but just wanting to see that you understand risk) and these were more situational - "If a client had his retirement portfolio invested in company stock and a 500 Index mutual fund and he was 60 years old; how would you restructure his portfolio?" The important thing here is to access risk, share your thought process and address the company stock (i.e. sell it!). Look up STAR formatted questions online to get familiar with the format and make sure you are concise and confident.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you made a mistake, how you fixed it and what you have learned?
If there were someone negative on your team, how would you manage the relationship?
The question above about the client's portfolio and your quick assessment.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was more than generous! The expectation of pay range was set up during the interview and I thought the offer would be less than what I was given. I was pleased and I did not negotiate.

Retirement Education Consultant Interview

Retirement Education Consultant

Interviewed at Financial Engines

Interview Details – I interviewed with a senior recuiter of Financial Engines in December. The phone screen appeared to go well. He stated he would have the hiring manager reach out to me for an in person interview. The senior recruiter then sent me an email for another phone interview with him. I emailed him back let him know we just spoke a few days prior. He still called me on the day of the second phone screening to have another phone interview. I let him know we just spoke about the role and I was excited to have the hiring manager call me for an in person interview. I didn't hear back from him so I reached out to him via the phone and email to see if they were still interested in interviewing me. I received no response. Then about one month later get another email from the same recruiter for another phone screen. I politely informed him we already had a phone screen about this position. He called me again I was in an meeting and missed the call. I followed up with him via the phone and email again and got no response. I think Financial Engines is a great company with a great niche and will do very well going forward. My interview process was not very good as you can see.

Interview Question – Three phone screens for the same position.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Financial Engines in December 2012.

Interview Details – Uses STAR behavioral technique during a panel discussion. I was not prepared for the interview as the recruiter had not provided the correct date nor had followed through with the needed documentation before the interview. Going in with 20 minute notice made the interview more difficult, I believe. The interview was from of three of their advisory managers. I was surprised to find that of my former managers, a woman with only back office experience was on it, as she had no experience with advice in the past. The position seemed ok, though more oriented towards education instead of advice (there is no advice component of the position, as the computer makes all of the decisions). The people in the office were pleasant enough, though I took note that I had worked with some of the advisors in my current role, and none of them had succeeded in that role. All in all, I would have turned down the role after reviewing my options.

Interview Question – Name a time where you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Financial Engines in June 2011.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews and then a very efficient and friendly offer process. There were some challenges with the 2nd round, due to turnover in HR, but everyone I met with was flexible, friendly & smart. The investment discussion was a bit challenging but fair. Overall, fasted and most exciting interview process of my career!

Interview Question – How do you calculate the Sharpe ratio?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 2 step process - external party called me early on to establish baseline on salary & title. When he presented the offer, he was very accommodating in the negotiation, making it clear what he could budge on and what he couldn't. Very fast and painless!

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Financial Engines in October 2011.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews. First phone interview was with the HR recruiter. She was very nice and asked very relevant questions specific to the position. The second phone interview was with Product Management Director. His questions seemed to express his confusion on what role they wanted to hire for. It seemed like the company did not know what they wanted to hire for.

Interview Questions

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Financial Engines in May 2010.

Interview Details – Professional and friendly environment. Met people from the team and senior management.
What I really liked about the whole experience, they set the expectations and the HR folks are prompt with responses. Did not make it because though I interviewed well, they found someone whose background matched the position more.

Only negative - I met 12 people, everyone from programmers to HR manager to a VP. They could streamline process to only the candidates they want to hire.

Overall - If you are looking for work - I would definitely recommend interviewing there.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Financial Engines? Contribute to the Community!

Financial Engines Videos

Financial Engines – Why Work for Us?

Dr. William F. Sharpe (Bill) is a recipient of the 1990 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, and has helped some of the nation's largest pension fund managers invest billions of dollars of retirement money. He started… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Financial Engines interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Financial Engines employees and interview candidates.