Financial Times Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.4

Senior Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Financial Times.

The process is very long, but questions are reasonable: Why do you want to work here? What was your best story? Why should we hire you? Expect to meet all of the most senior editors for at least an hour each. Don't be surprised if they turn up late for interviews, or if some of them think that they would be doing you a favour to let you work there - this is just the attitude because it is a great paper and does not reflect anything about their opinion of you.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about your current beat. Why do you want to leave your current job?   View Answer
    Tricky - they made a terribly low ball offer. Do some research in advance to see what peers are paid. Stick to your guns in a calm way. Once they've decided they want you, it will reflect badly on the negotiator not to have you sign on, so be reasonable of course, but persist if you think the offer is too low.

B2B Product Marketing Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Financial Times in May 2014.

Applied for job through LinkedIn with positive email response within a couple of days to invite for initial telephone conversation. Brief chat with line manager for position which was overall positive and covered broad topics on my CV and experience and why I would be a good fit for the job. Obviously the interview did not go very well as there was not a single piece of communication from the interviewer or even anyone from the HR department to even so much as tell me that I had not progressed. I emailed after a couple of weeks to ask for some feedback, however basic it might be, based on my assumption that I had not progressed...due to having no response. There was no reply to my email. All in all a very unprofessional attitude, I know there would have been a lot of candidates, but why not a stock email as a courtesy!

Account Executive Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Financial Times.

Two interviews, one with line manager and second with senior management. Asked standard questions surrounding achievements, experience, examples of doing well, examples of when things go bad and your resolutions, what you offer the company, your thoughts on the company and culture.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Financial Times.

find out what the company does, what the people there like and dislike. Do I see myself there? Go for it.

Interview Questions
    • What is the purpose of social media in B2B marketing?   View Answer

Senior Developer Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Financial Times in May 2012.

Initial discussion of role with HR through email. In the beginning a telephonic interview with a manager was cancelled. Later a telephonic interview with a senior team members was conducted.

Called for the second interview which was face to face with the same guys. It was again kind of problem solving.

The guys who took the interview were all right but they just concentrated on problem solving and didn't bother to ask anything else. They failed to communicate clearly what they expected from me in the interview. Also it appeared that they expected ready made answers.

Interview Questions
    • In the telephonic interview asked about java collections through a card shuffling problem.

In the face to face interview I was asked to write a number converter in java. Also given a design problem.

The pattern of telephonic and face to face interview was unexpected because:
      1) Telephonic interviews usually have very objective questions rather than algorithmic ones.
      2) Face to face interview consisted of some problems and I was asked to solve the same in front of them. It was not clear whether they were expecting me to do that independently or wanting me to involve them. Perhaps HR could have told me in advance about the process.
        Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Financial Times in February 2012.

Initial communications via my recruiter were fine - clear expectations, nothing extra to prepare.

I arrived 10 minutes before my interview time, but was kept waiting for 20 minutes at reception.

When the interviewers arrived, they were friendly and professional. The interview itself lasted 45 minutes, and didn't appear to have any real structure. They told me they were looking for someone with experience in driving new business so I made sure to focus on my strengths in that area. Interviewers started going through my CV, but quickly moved on to unrelated matters... about 25 minutes of the interview was spent chatting about the office culture, benefits, etc.

I got feedback via my recruiter the same day, and a firm job offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Annoyingly, they kept asking about my 'new business' experience. In the end I had to take control of the situation and move them on. Not the best or most professional interview experience.   View Answer
    Negotiated salary via recruiter - she asked for an extra £1500 on the basic, they only offered an extra £500 (final offer).

Web Production Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)

I applied online – interviewed at Financial Times in August 2010.

I saw the job ad in the Philippine Daily Inquirer and sent my resume and application letter online. Within 10 minutes I received a cellphone call ( they probably needed to hire someone quickly) and testing and interview dates were set. I passed both the initial interview and written tests and was granted a final interview by the London-based editor in charge of Metro Manila operations. Within a week I received a job offer by email. After negotiations by email, where I sent a counter-offer to their first one I accepted the second offer

Interview Questions
    • I was able to answer all the questions they raised. I don't recall any that was unexpected. Sample questions include whether I could handle business and economic news even if I had no economic or business background (I studied and wrote on economic issues and covered business stories during my media stint with other publications) and whether I could handle stress on the job (all jobs have stress, the question is how much will you be paid for it? And if you really enjoy what you're doing and are good at it, stress is negligible and is easily taken in stride).   Answer Question
    It was done by email. They made an offer, I made a counter offer, they made a second offer and I accepted that.

Financial Accountant Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Financial Times in February 2008.

It was via a recruitment agency, so I had some information about the person interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • Technical accounting considerations for a company with staff based in various countries in the world.   Answer Question