FindTheBest.com Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.1

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FindTheBest.com (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

FindTheBest's interview process was one of the more thorough I've experienced. The process started with a phone interview with my future-boss, the CMO, and I was then asked to come into the office and interview in person. I interviewed with 4 different people at the company: 2 marketing individuals, 1 product individual, and Kevin O'Connor (the CEO) himself! Overall, I was very impressed with the thoroughness of the interview -- it's definitely not an interview for those who are unprepared and know nothing about the company. For some, I could see it as being an intimidating process, but if you're prepared, intelligent, and want the job, you have nothing to worry about.

Interview Questions

• Can you walk me through your resume in 2 minutes?   1 Answer
    • From what you've seen, what is our biggest strength? What is our biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • Give me an elevator pitch for FindTheBest.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at FindTheBest.com (Santa Barbara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was the best internship interview process I have ever gone through for a job I did not even receive an offer for. So I definitely think it's worth it for me to reflect on in detail. I won't be mentioning specific technical questions but I'll explain everything else I went through.

1) I applied online and got a response very quickly (1-2 days) about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions related to a subject I claimed to be strong at.

2) Next, I was given up to two weeks to do a coding challenge related to path-finding and graph exploration, a variation of TSP. They provide a little GUI to test your solution which was very cool and helpful. This took me around 20 hours to research, implement, test, and optimize. It should take less if you are more experienced.

3a) Second round phone interview was with a couple members of the engineering team. More behavioral and technical questions related to DS/Algorithms. Being interested and passionate about the things they do there is very important to them.
    3b) I had to provide written feedback of how I felt the interviews were going.

4) They flew me across the country to their office in Santa Barbara! Everything was paid for me and I really wasn't expecting a start-up on start-up funding to do this for an intern candidate. There were 5 rounds of interviews at their office back-to-back. Pretty much all of them were a mix of behavioral and technical.
    4a) First interview for me was 2-on-1, behavioral with website front-end technical questions. I blanked out so hard on how jQuery syntax worked which probably cost me the job, so make sure you know your syntax!
    4b) Second was another 2-on-1. General DS/Programming Languages questions. This went fairly well for me. They essentially want to know if you know the capabilities encompassing each programming language on your resume.
    4c) Third was the last 2-on-1. Talked with the creator of the coding challenge I did earlier about how I could have made my solution better, etc. Also did an algorithms question on linked lists. Ironically, this was the one question I have actually seen before and yet I managed to mess it up on the whiteboard. Practice writing out code by hand. It's surprisingly much more different than you think.
    4d) Fourth was with the lead engineer. We talked a little bit and he gave me a logic puzzle to solve. I worked out the math theory behind it and was coming up with the implementation algorithm when I ran out of time.
    4e) Last interview was with their CEO, Kevin O'Connor. I wasn't expecting their CEO to interview an intern candidate at all so this was a nice surprise. We had a nice conversation about his company and I got the sense he really wants you to prove that you're worth it to his company.
    4f) Bonus! Went out to lunch with 2 more members of the engineering team. Was awesome talking to them in a relaxed atmosphere and they even drove me to the airport.

Alas, I did not receive an offer but that was definitely my own fault for not preparing as much as I should have in the subjects on my resume. I spent too much time learning arbitrary CS topics not on my resume in fear of not being able to cover the entire spectrum of questions I was expected to answer. For example, the job description included a preference for PHP on Nginx. I did not know Nginx so it wasn't on my resume. I spent a day implementing Nginx and learning about FastCGI and stuff when ultimately I wasn't asked a single question on PHP, Nginx, or the back-end. The better solution would be for you to know what you're good at, and ensure you excel at those subjects.

All in all, this was one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. I traveled, talked to a number of really great people, and learned so much. The questions asked were completely fair and focused on my experiences. They never took more than 2 days to reply to me. I really did not expect them to go in such depth for engineering internship candidates. It really shows how high the bar is for the employees they have there.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you're going to be a great software developer?   1 Answer

Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at FindTheBest.com.

Interview

They called me to interview. Questions were very informal. Interviewer was late to call and had to leave early. Seemed like they already found someone and were just following through with the phone call. The interviewer was nice but she seemed hurried and disinterested. I never heard back despite her telling me she would follow up by email.

Interview Questions

• what do you know about the account strategist role and why are you interested?   Answer Question

Product Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at FindTheBest.com.

Interview

I applied online and didn't pass the phone interview. Typical interview process is phone screen then onsite. Interviewer gave a specific subject and asked how you would create filters for this subject to let users find the best.

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FindTheBest.com in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview, a writing test, an interview with two employees, and then a final interview with the department head. I also submitted writing samples. All my interviews were over the phone since I was applying from school on the East Coast.

The initial phone screen focused on my writing background, work style and knowledge of the company. It's important to really know the company beforehand and be familiar with the product. The writing test involved choosing graphics to write about on a topic of your choice. The second interview mostly focused on the writing test.

All the interviewers were very friendly and enthusiastic about the company. I never felt in the dark about my application status and received useful feedback from my writing test. Overall, I was impressed with the interview process.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FindTheBest.com (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The Interview process for the editorial internship included a 20 min phone interview, a couple of writing tests, and a 2-hour interview at the FTB office, where I met with 4 different FTB employees.

The phone interview was really simple-- just a quick get-to-know-you kind of chat. Definitely glad I did a lot of research on the company in advance so I had lots of questions to ask. Then there was a writing test, where I was given a subject to write about and several data visualizations to choose from/include in my story. The in-person interview was the most fun for me. The office is gorgeous and located on a cliff edge over the pacific ocean. I was given a tour of the entire office first, then lead to a room where all 4 of my interviewers joined me for 30 minutes each. The questions varied-- some of them were very focused on my writing background and experience, and others were more lighthearted, like the one I've seen on Glassdoor multiple times before for FTB: "Would you describe yourself as an athlete?" There were no questions that really threw me off. It was basically just a nice conversation with each member of the team, and then I met lastly with my (now) boss.

When the interview was over, they let me stick around for a 5 PM meeting on the patio with the entire company. It was really fun to see what the culture was like, before I even got hired. Overall, I had a really good experience interviewing, and was always notified of next-steps within a couple days, or even hours.

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at FindTheBest.com (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

This was first round 30 minutes phone interview with a member of the product team. The questions were quite detailed. The interviewer asked about my experience with data visualization, and asked for an example of how I used data visualization. He also asked about my persona, whether I liked to work as instructed or prefer more autonomy.

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about FIndthebest? Why are you interested in our company?   Answer Question
    • Have you looked at out website? What do you think of it?   Answer Question
    • Have you used data visualization before? Give me an specific example.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever done something that other people had not thought of before?   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer to work under clear instruction or to come up with your own ideas and plans? Can you work 10 to 12 hours a day Monday to Friday?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First, they will set up a phone interview to ask about your basic background, then second phone interview to test your technical skills. Usually they will start by letting you introduce yourself and then they will ask some questions about your project, then some technical problems

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at FindTheBest.com.

Interview

I applied online, it took just over a month until I heard back, and they asked to set up an interview. I went in for an interview three days after the initial email and I met with 3 different people, managers of the department. I was asked a variety of questions from the basics about history and experience, to more complicated, theoretical questions that tech companies like Google are prone to ask. I was tripped up a little when asked about what product I would want to develop for their website, and what category of research it would involve. They also asked how I would improve their website. I didn't have exact ideas for how to do so at the time because I didn't even know what the the job duties entailed as the listing did not state them.
    Halfway through the interview they started having a company-wide meeting and the people interviewing me lost interest and seemed to be paying attention to what was happening outside of the room.
    I left and then received an email 5 days later saying they had filled the position.

Interview Questions

• "How would you improve our website?"   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at FindTheBest.com.

Interview

The first round phone interview mainly asked the previous experience related to this position. The previous ETL experience, data analysis experience and database experience will be helpful. Also several technical questions will be asked. These questions are related to the database and the algorithms to to process the text data.