Finisar Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

2.8

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Called by the Recruiter then Hiring Manager. Arrange On-site interview a week after. The whole process took 10 days. The interview process was standard. 5-6 rounds with each round about 30 min with directors, hiring managers and potential team members. In general the interview was easy. Mainly the questions are based on the resume. Some behavior questions were also asked but most questions were technical. Friendly comparing to other Silicon Valley companies. Good communication and clearly clarified the duties of the position. Showed the benefit details in the interview section.

After interview, recruiter asked reference and background check information. Then no message after one and a half months. I called recruiter and was told that the hiring manager had not made a decision. Then was told that they had someone else.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is your most difficult project you have been in? Why and what did you do?

2. How to test high a high speed transceiver?

3. About high speed laser and modulation.

4. SPC related.

5. Testing automation, including coding and setup equipment.

6. What is the best/low cost way to align two beam to each other?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Horsham, PA) in May 2014.

Interview

Finisar had just created it's internship position in the Philadelphia area when I applied, so everything was somewhat last minute. The process was more of a meet and greet with senior project members who I'd be working with, so I can only presume they'd decided on the hire on the resume and references alone.

Interview Questions

• One stage of the interview included some basic quizzing on verilog to ensure that I wasn't entirely incompetent. It mostly covered basic blocks and clock synchronization.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little to no negotiation, as this was for a temporary internship position

Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Had an unpleasant phone interview today. The hiring manager was late for 25mins. When he at last made the call, he started with a question like "in what area can I ask you some technical questions?". Okay, if you didn't bother to read my resume before interview, and didn't bother to call on time and didn't even bother to quickly go though my resume during the call, then why bothered to call for a phone interview?

Still, after I told him my expertise, he asked a question not closely related to my experience. Only after I told him again which area I have worked in, did he ask some fair questions. Those are fundamentals of electronics, optics and fiber optic communications.

The phone interview lasted about 20mins and his tone was not really friendly during the whole thing. Soon after I hung up, the recruiter emailed me and said that they wanted to go for other candidates. I don't feel sad at all.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was contacted directly by the hiring manager. It was a rather long and tortuous game of Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football. I admit to being unprepared for the first interview. Miraculously, I was given a second shot at another facility. The second one went better. A reference check was about to be conducted until I sent in a recent copy of my resume to the interviewer. All of a sudden things went silent until I decided to conduct a follow up call. I was given some story that alluded to other candidates being considered. There is no way to confirm, but I have every reason to believe this company does not hire the unemployed.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a general project management scenario. It wasn't terribly difficult, but a I had to recall a lot of experiences within thirty seconds to make it to the section of the gauntlet.   Answer Question

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I got the onsite interview through contacting the hiring manager, no phone screen was taken. It took about one month to start the onsite process, and finally I went to the interview after waiting for two weeks due to unmatched schedules. The onsite interview was highly technical, but mainly basic EE knowledge such as linear systems and Fourier transform. And also fundamental principle of communication systems.

Interview Questions

• I didn't expect to have such technical questions on basic courses and spent quite sometime to refresh myself. Also some details like the amplitude and phase responses after Fourier transform were not well memorized. Other than that, the questions are rather fundamental.   Answer Question

CS Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

had to talk to the whole team in the onsite interview for an internship position. had couple of phone interviews before that.

Interview Questions

• questions were general. since i'm a fresher, questions were on fundamentals of ASM, hardware/MUC verification.   Answer Question

CS Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

had an onsite interview for the internship position. 5 hrs interview with team lunch. passed couple of phone interviews before that. questions weren't difficult. simple hardware circuit design/ ASM programming questions.

Interview Questions

• simple programming questions. they were looking too much on the resume details.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Finisar (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Mostly ask about your thesis and past optical experience

Interview Questions

Negotiation

difficult to negotiate the price.

Equipment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Finisar.

Interview

written test on basic electronics followed by mechanical and C.
    tests were extremely easy. it was recruitment drive in my college and all the recruiters were very relaxed and the process was very quick... within three hours.. we had our first jobs..

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Finisar in January 2015.

Interview

The process initiates with a written round consisting of questions from
    1.Newton's LAw
    2.Work Power + Mechanics
    3. Heat transfer and calorimetry
    4.Thermodynamics and wave optics(theory)
    5.Differentiation and Integration (by parts)
    6.Simple R-C Circuit analysis

Ur CGPA and AIEEE rank matters in the selection, interview questions were easy, simple circuit analysis from basic Electrical Engg course. Few questions from point mass mechanics and behavioral interview for sometime.

Interview Questions

• 1.Draw Diode char
      2.Draw R-C disch