Finish Line

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Purchasing Interview

Indianapolis, IN

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Finish Line in January 2011.

Interview Details – Wow... Finish Line's interview process was first class. I have been job searching for most of the last 2 years, and this was by far my best experience. It's actually what sold me on the company, because there were higher-paying options that I passed up to take this position. First of all, the communication from the recruiter was the most thorough and candid that I have experienced at any point in my career. After an initial phone screen with the recruiter, it was about two months before I heard anything from the hiring manager. However, I didn't think that I was going to be a strong contender for the position based upon the phone screen, so I had pretty much dismissed the opportunity. Then in mid-January (I applied in early Nov), the recruiter called and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview went well, the position and circumstances surrounding it (it was a newly created position) were well-explained, and I was asked intelligent questions about my experience vs. the canned "tell me about a time when you..." questions. At the end of the phone interview, I was informed that they would like to bring me in for a face-to-face interview, which the recruiter followed up to schedule later that evening. During that call, we had some candid discussion about salary, working at Finish Line, etc. When I went in for the face-to-face, it was very well-organized. After signing in at the front desk, the receptionist handed me an itinerary for the 2 hour window, with the location of the interviews and the names and titles of the people with whom I would be interviewing. First was a peer panel, which focused on behavioral questions that centered around the 6 core competencies that Finish Line expects its employees to have/develop. The recruiter, talent mgmt director, and another employee conducted this interview. Then, the hiring manager (director) and VP to whom the director reported conducted another interview, which focused on me interviewing them about the position and their expectations. Later that evening, the recruiter called again with a couple of follow-up questions, more discussion about working at Finish Line, and final salary negotiations. Ultimately, the offer that they made to me was one I could live with, and I am very confident in my decision to work at Finish Line. It was by far the most valued that I have felt as a candidate. So many places treat you as if they have 100 people lined up behind you (which they do), while at Finish Line I truly felt like they wanted me for this job. If my career goes anything like the interview process did, I'll probably retire from Finish Line!

Interview Question – No question really stood out as "difficult". The questions focused on competencies and experiences, not riddles or brainteasers, which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was initially a significant disconnect on salary for this position. I did have to move quite a bit from my base salary expectations, as did Finish Line. However, a good deal of the difference was made up through a bonus with a target that put the potential earnings within my range. It's not guaranteed, but I am confident in my abilities and it gives me an added incentive to perform Win-win.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Finish Line

Worked for Finish Line? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Finish Line Purchasing interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Finish Line employees and interview candidates.